So Dark the Night

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

So Dark the Night

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:48 am

Synopsis: Like his contemporaries Howard Hawks and Billy Wilder, Joseph H. Lewis (Gun Crazy) dabbled in many genres, but excelled in the film noir tradition. A Hitchcockian tale of mystery and intrigue, So Dark the Night was one of his finest pictures.

Inspector Cassin, a renowned Paris detective, departs to the country for a much-needed break. There he falls in love with the innkeeper's daughter, Nanette, who is already betrothed to a local farmer. On the evening of their engagement party, Nanette and the farmer both disappear. Cassin takes up the case immediately to discover what happened to them and who is responsible. As with his celebrated noir masterpieces My Name Is Julia Ross and The Big Combo, Lewis elevates the twisty, pulpy material with some of the finest noir touches the genre has to offer, beautifully shot by Oscar-winning cinematographer (Bonnie and Clyde).

Special Features and Technical Specs:

High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Original uncompressed mono PCM audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
Audio Commentary by critics Glenn Kenny and Farran Smith Nehme
So Dark... Joseph H. Lewis at Columbia - Critic Imogen Sara Smith provides the background and an analysis of the film
Theatrical trailer
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tonci Zonjic
First pressing only: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic David Cairns

U.S. STREET DATE: FEBRUARY 19.
UK STREET DATE: FEBRUARY 18.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: So Dark the Night

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:49 am

Why is Arrow going after the worst films in Sony's Film Noir Classics sets? I assume the Burglar is next

nitin

#3 Post by nitin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:02 am

Hopefully it’s because Indicator might have the better titles already sewn up.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:05 am

Fingers crossed. If I was choosing priority titles from the last two volumes, it would be Drive a Crooked Road (the best film in all four volumes), Tight Spot, and the Mob

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#5 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:02 am

Say it with me, everybody: Quine box

mteller

#6 Post by mteller » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:29 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:49 am
Why is Arrow going after the worst films in Sony's Film Noir Classics sets? I assume the Burglar is next
The Burglar is amazing, one of my favorites. I'd be thrilled for a Blu-Ray.

So Dark the Night is rotten, though.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:27 am

Comparing Lewis to Wilder, Hawks, and Hitchcock in the description for this is a war crime

Finch

#8 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:43 am

Wouldn't it have sufficed to say that a comparison of Lewis to the other directors is too much hyperbole?

HJackson

#9 Post by HJackson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:48 am

I'll buy both of these. I liked So Dark better than Julia Ross and found it a lot of fun, although both are a far cry from Gun Crazy. I'll be interested to see how extensive the extras are though - thus far it looks like a commentary, a featurette, and an essay for each. Given that these are two pretty short and relatively minoir noirs from the same filmmaker, you'd think a twofer would have been a good way to go, but I have no idea about the economics of licensing these movies in the first place. They'll be available for £6 at some point in time anyway, possibly the second printing without the booklet, so I'm not going to complain...