The Taviani Brothers Collection

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

MichaelB

Re: The Taviani Brothers Collection

#26 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:54 am

Just those three features - but more extras.

EddieLarkin

#27 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:00 am

This isn't as much a concern for some as it is others, but I know who I would rather have doing the disc authoring on a project involving a film running over 3 hours plus extras, especially when it's a brand new transfer...

Ribs

#28 Post by Ribs » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks for sharing some details, Michael - looking forward to it greatly! :)

ellipsis7

#29 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:36 am

This 2010 film by Giovanna Taviani, FUGHI E APPRODI, would make a lovely companion piece to KAOS...

MichaelB

#30 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:38 am

Way outside my budget, I'm afraid, especially as it will need subtitling. Sorry!

ellipsis7

#31 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:43 am

Understandable, unfortunately (although there are decent existing Eng subs on the Italian release that could be ported in)... It would be rather like WAR OF THE VOLCANOES on the BFI Bergman Rossellini set... But I guess at 81 minutes it's far too long & expensive to have the BBFC certify...

MichaelB

#32 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:18 pm

I have the DVD, but it's too long and too recent for there to be much chance of it being affordable.

There's also the practical problem of squeezing it onto a disc that already includes a 187-minute feature plus other extras.

AidanKing

Re: Arrow Films

#33 Post by AidanKing » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:44 pm

zedz wrote:It's one of my wife's favourite films as well.
I think both our wives have excellent taste in films in that case.

I really do think that people who haven't seen Kaos have an exceptional treat waiting for them. I've just been re-reading the chapter on The Night of the Shooting Stars in Millicent Marcus' excellent book Italian Film in the Light of Neorealism, in which she discusses the ways in which the film makes use of the approaches of neorealism while simultaneously critiquing them: in other words, presenting the world of the film in as real a way as possible while using fable-style interludes to indicate that it's still a film (to wildly simplify her argument).

Kaos builds on that, and the way the realities of life in Sicily at the end of the nineteenth/beginning of the twentieth century are interspersed with story, superstition and the supernatural is breathtaking. The relationship between real life and various forms of storytelling seems to be a key concern of the Tavianis, of course, all the way up to Caesar Must Die, with its prisoners rehearsing Shakespeare.

It's also a stunningly beautiful film, with a superb score and moments of great wit and humour. It's also pleasing to see that the Tavianis (who have been critically neglected of late, although I remember Kaos being rapturously received on its release) getting a revival while they are still alive. I hope they'll be pleased to know how much their work means to some people.

It's great to know that the three films are in good hands with Michael B, David M (presumably) and Arrow handling the U.K. release.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#34 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:22 pm

Will these transfers be brand new or similar to the ones that Cohen used?

MichaelB

#35 Post by MichaelB » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:10 pm

They're exactly the same 2K restorations, approved by the Tavianis (and, in the case of Kaos, cinematographer Giuseppe Lanci).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#36 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:08 pm

Just read the blu-ray.com review of the Cohen US set and would like to confirm a hunch : were the restorations done at L'immagine Ritrovata Bologna ?

MichaelB

#37 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Only Kaos - which is also the only restoration that involved the cinematographer as well as the directors.

I don't know specifically where the others were carried out, but it was definitely Rome rather than Bologna.

Pepsi

#38 Post by Pepsi » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:52 pm

Is Padre Padrone in OAR? If I remember correct, it was a TV production for RAI. Produced in 1977, it could also be in 1:1.37.

EddieLarkin

#39 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:00 pm

So Kaos and Night of the Shooting Stars have some incredibly blatant compression issues on the Cohen set, and if David isn't doing the authoring for this one, I would strongly recommend that whoever is double checks the possibility of a colour space/levels error on Padre Padrone. All three of these could easily see small to big improvements from Arrow.

MichaelB

#40 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:10 pm

Pepsi wrote:Is Padre Padrone in OAR? If I remember correct, it was a TV production for RAI. Produced in 1977, it could also be in 1:1.37.
It's 1.66:1. Since the Tavianis themselves signed off on the restoration, I assume that's what they wanted.

zedz

#41 Post by zedz » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:28 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Pepsi wrote:Is Padre Padrone in OAR? If I remember correct, it was a TV production for RAI. Produced in 1977, it could also be in 1:1.37.
It's 1.66:1. Since the Tavianis themselves signed off on the restoration, I assume that's what they wanted.
It looks like it went into international distribution even before its initial Italian TV broadcast (it played the Cannes, Berlin and New York festivals in 1977), so it's quite likely that it was shot with theatrical and television aspect ratios in mind.

ellipsis7

#42 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:46 pm

PADRE PADRONE was made for RAI, not an unusual berth for an Italian filmmaker at the time, by any means... It was entered in to competition @ Cannes in 1977, Roberto Rossellini was chairing the jury & championed it to win the Palme d'Or, a month later Rossellini was dead, but his final gesture, as it were, pushed the Taviani Bros & their film to prominence...

Ribs

#43 Post by Ribs » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:11 pm

Three Films by Paolo & Vittorio Taviani [Padre Padrone, The Night of San Lorenzo, Kaos] (Arrow Academy) Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD Limited Edition
Three masterpieces by the Taviani Brothers in brand new director-approved 2K restorations.
Pre-order your UK Dual Format copy here: http://bit.ly/1pu8II0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Release Date: 27th June 2016
Region: B/2
For over half a century, the brothers Paolo and Vittorio Taviani have been making some of the most beautiful and timeless films in all Italian cinema, and this collection showcases some of their greatest achievements.
Padre Padrone catapulted them to international fame when it won both the Palme d’Or and the International Critics’ Prize at the Cannes Film Festival. Set in rural Sardinia, it tells the true story of Gavino Ledda, who rose from shepherd boy to distinguished academic against all possible odds, especially those posed by his terrifyingly traditionalist father. With The Night of the Shooting Stars, the Tavianis dramatised the events of summer 1944 (when Germans and Americans used their native Tuscany as a battleground) through the eyes of an imaginative and mischievous six-year-old girl. And in Kaos, they adapted several Pirandello short stories into a magnificent three-hour panorama of nineteenth-century Sicilian life in all its comedy, tragedy, horror and unforgettable visual splendour.
Arrow Academy is proud to present these three masterpieces in brand new director-approved 2K restorations.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
•Limited Edition Collection [3,000 Copies]
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of all films from brand new director-approved 2K restorations, with Kaos also approved by its original cinematographer Giuseppe Lanci
•Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-rays)
•Optional newly-translated English subtitles for all films
•Brand new two-hour interview with Paolo & Vittorio Taviani
•Video essays on individual films by leading Italian film scholar Millicent Marcus
•Commentary on The Night of the Shooting Stars by critic Michael Brooke
•The Sublime Brothers: Michael Brooke looks at the Tavianis’ illustrious career, now into its seventh decade
•High Definition stills galleries for all three films
•Trailers for the new restorations
•Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
Exclusive 100-page book featuring Pauline Kael’s reviews of all three films and brand new (in some cases world premiere) translations of the Pirandello short stories that were adapted for Kaos.

I'm mostly impressed with the price - I figured it was at least going to be the same cost as Human Condition, and probably the same as Yoshida - but I guess they're accounting for how affordable the Cohen is and are going for a lower rate with this one.

TMDaines

The Taviani Brothers Collection

#44 Post by TMDaines » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:15 pm

Looking like an amazing job! Not sure about those covers, but the contents look sensational.

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS

#45 Post by ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:27 pm

I'm glad I didn't get the Cohen set. Love the artwork.

When is the next Arrow sale, by the way?

Ribs

#46 Post by Ribs » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:37 pm

Probably in a few weeks. If memory serves last year's March sale was over just a weekend instead of the usual several-week-period the rest of the sales offered.

rapta

#47 Post by rapta » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Yeah I'm more likely to go for it at this price. However, The Human Condition takes priority over this right now...so I'll get that one out of the way first!

perkizitore

#48 Post by perkizitore » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:50 pm

Did Arrow stopped doing early bird discounts? If that is the case, it only makes sense pre-ordering during a sale.

Ribs

#49 Post by Ribs » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:19 pm

Both this and Human Condition are considerably less expensive to start with, though. I'm sure if Arrow has another £55 box set (especially designed AS the succesor to the Yoshida set) they'll incorporate similar early bird pricing options.

Though it would not surprise me if they also didn't want to keep dealing with the hassle of people ordering early bird and then cancelling to get both early bird and double points during a sale which almost always will happen over the course of a title being available for pre-order.

perkizitore

#50 Post by perkizitore » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:35 pm

The Human Condition is considerably less expensive than the Yoshida set? :-k