The Taviani Brothers Collection

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

The Taviani Brothers Collection

#1 Post by Ribs » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:44 pm

For over half a century, the brothers Paolo and Vittorio Taviani have been making some of the most beautiful and timeless films in all Italian cinema, and this collection showcases some of their greatest achievements.

Padre Padrone catapulted them to international fame when it won both the Palme d’Or and the International Critics’ Prize at the Cannes Film Festival. Set in rural Sardinia, it tells the true story of Gavino Ledda, who rose from shepherd boy to distinguished academic against all possible odds, especially those posed by his terrifyingly traditionalist father. With The Night of the Shooting Stars, the Tavianis dramatised the events of summer 1944 (when Germans and Americans used their native Tuscany as a battleground) through the eyes of an imaginative and mischievous six-year-old girl. And in Kaos, they adapted several Pirandello short stories into a magnificent three-hour panorama of nineteenth-century Sicilian life in all its comedy, tragedy, horror and unforgettable visual splendour.

Arrow Academy is proud to present these three masterpieces in brand new director-approved 2K restorations.

CONTENTS
  • Limited Edition Collection [3,000 Copies]
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of all films from brand new director-approved 2K restorations, with Kaos also approved by its original cinematographer Giuseppe Lanci
  • Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-rays)
  • Optional newly-translated English subtitles for all films
  • Brand new two-hour interview with Paolo & Vittorio Taviani
  • Video essays on individual films by leading Italian film scholar Millicent Marcus
  • Commentary on The Night of the Shooting Stars by critic Michael Brooke
  • The Sublime Brothers: Michael Brooke looks at the Tavianis’ illustrious career, now into its seventh decade
  • High Definition stills galleries for all three films
  • Trailers for the new restorations
  • Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
  • Exclusive 100-page book featuring Pauline Kael’s reviews of all three films and brand new (in some cases world premiere) translations of the Pirandello short stories that were adapted for Kaos.

feihong

Re: Arrow Films

#2 Post by feihong » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:32 pm

Ribs wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:44 pm
MichaelB jokingly noted on the Arrow facebook that his next Academy project after Human Condition is just shy of 200 minutes long - anyone have any ideas?

Just looking at some possibilities - Ryan's Daughter? Celine & Julie?
It should only and always be Celine & Julie. But I think the BFI has the rights for that, and New Yorker still has them in the US. For no good reason.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:37 pm

I believe Arrow said before that if they could have gotten Celine and Julie, they would have included it in the Rivette box.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Which one of these releases ended up being one of the all time favs of MichaelB as teased?

Ribs

#5 Post by Ribs » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:01 pm

His hints were that of the releases for April, May, and June, one is an all-time-favorite and one has never been released in the UK on DVD/BD (despite having been popular as a repertory item). It is unclear if the aforementioned 200 minute film is the June title or just what he's working on now.

Does the DVD/BD thing apply to Human Condition?

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:03 pm

It does, as it happens, but I wasn't thinking of The Human Condition when I said it.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#7 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:16 pm

And the ship sails on?

zedz

#8 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:34 pm

Ribs wrote:MichaelB jokingly noted on the Arrow facebook that his next Academy project after Human Condition is just shy of 200 minutes long - anyone have any ideas?

Just looking at some possibilities - Ryan's Daughter? Celine & Julie?
Given Arrow's talent for rehabilitating great auteurs whose reputations have fallen into neglect, favourites Michael has mentioned over the years, the running time and lots of wishful thinking, I'm voting for the Taviani Brothers' Kaos, which is over three hours but under 200 minutes. I believe it was restored last year.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:51 pm

Cohen's putting it out on Blu-ray next week in the U.S. But there's also this:
AidanKing wrote:Any chance of Kaos by the Tavianis for the Arrow Academy Line?
MichaelB wrote:It's a personal favourite of mine (I'd love to work on any Taviani stuff, to be honest), but both the rights and an existing (and usable) HD master would have to be available.

Ribs

#10 Post by Ribs » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:39 am

Hm. As somebody who was prepared to part with my money for the Cohen set next week this leaves me very conflicted, especially given how low a price the Cohen set is listed for, but the evidence does seem very persuasive.

Has Arrow released any Cohen stuff in the past? I thought that was MoC territory?

Ribs

#11 Post by Ribs » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:05 am

From Twitter:
Hard at work on a new box set...

AidanKing

#12 Post by AidanKing » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:50 am

zedz wrote:Given Arrow's talent for rehabilitating great auteurs whose reputations have fallen into neglect, favourites Michael has mentioned over the years, the running time and lots of wishful thinking, I'm voting for the Taviani Brothers' Kaos, which is over three hours but under 200 minutes. I believe it was restored last year.
I'm really hoping for this too: I think Kaos is one of the greatest films of the 1980s and well overdue a release. My wife would be delighted too as it's her favourite film. There's a great introduction to it from BBC2's Film Club by Mike Hodges, which couldn't be used as an extra because of BBC intransigence, but I wonder whether he might be persuaded to replicate it.

Pepsi

#13 Post by Pepsi » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:05 pm

The Image is from the first story in KAOS. It's in the first minute of the story, when a Mother asks a man to write to her son in America, and the man can't write, but pretends to.

Please ARROW, I have preordered the Cohen set, and don't need two sets. I want to spend my money for Arrow, so could you verify the other titles in the set, and the release date. I'm not the only who rather spend the money to the better company.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:20 pm

I understand your point, but Cohen is a great label...

Ribs

#15 Post by Ribs » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:27 pm

The Arrow set almost definitely will cost twice as much, if that helps resolve anything - that's mainly because the Cohen set is a ridiculously great price.

I imagine the three Cohen titles surely will be included, but the bigger question is whether or not anything else could make the cut.

I get the impression that the reason Arrow pretty openly teased this in such a capacity is so those who had the Cohen pre-ordered and would prefer the Arrow would at least have some notice to maybe at least stay their purchase for a few weeks.

zedz

#16 Post by zedz » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:35 pm

AidanKing wrote:
zedz wrote:Given Arrow's talent for rehabilitating great auteurs whose reputations have fallen into neglect, favourites Michael has mentioned over the years, the running time and lots of wishful thinking, I'm voting for the Taviani Brothers' Kaos, which is over three hours but under 200 minutes. I believe it was restored last year.
I'm really hoping for this too: I think Kaos is one of the greatest films of the 1980s and well overdue a release. My wife would be delighted too as it's her favourite film. There's a great introduction to it from BBC2's Film Club by Mike Hodges, which couldn't be used as an extra because of BBC intransigence, but I wonder whether he might be persuaded to replicate it.
It's one of my wife's favourite films as well.

zedz

#17 Post by zedz » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:37 pm

domino harvey wrote:I understand your point, but Cohen is a great label...
Yeah, when it comes down to two great labels issuing the same film, just make your decision based on which is the better release for the price.

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS

#18 Post by ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:45 pm

zedz wrote:
domino harvey wrote:I understand your point, but Cohen is a great label...
Yeah, when it comes down to two great labels issuing the same film, just make your decision based on which is the better release for the price.
So Cohen? Thirty bucks for Padre Padrone, The Night of the Shooting Stars, and Kaos.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: The Taviani Brothers Collection

#19 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:48 pm

Or wait to see what other films and extras might be included in the Arrow set.

zedz

#20 Post by zedz » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:52 pm

swo17 wrote:Or wait to see what other films and extras might be included in the Arrow set.
Yes, this isn't a decision you want to make uninformed.

rapta

#21 Post by rapta » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:36 pm

I seem remember reading something about Kaos last year, but otherwise know nothing about these films. Just watched the Cohen trailers and I'm very interested (even more so than Rivette or Yoshida in fact).

So dependant on price, I will be blind-buying this set whatever it turns out to be (though the Kobayashi set will take priority right now). I just hope it's not another £50+ job and Arrow try and make it a little more feasible - keeping the packaging simple, or not going overboard on extras. I've found that their Arrow Video box sets are priced fairer than their Academy ones, which is understandable considering the niche appeal but frustrating to confidently blind-buy these sets (i.e. I'll probably miss out on Yoshida and Rivette unless they drop in price a bit before either goes OOP).

Aunt Peg

#22 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:15 am

So Arrow will be release The Night of the Shooting Stars & Kaos.

What about Padre Padrone?

MichaelB

#23 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:04 am

All three 2K restorations will be in Arrow's box.

I can't confirm on-disc extras yet as some are still being pinned down (although the big interview from the Cohen disc is definite), but I'm happy to reveal that the hefty booklet will include brand new (and in many cases world premiere) translations of the Pirandello short stories that fuelled Kaos.

Jack Phillips

#24 Post by Jack Phillips » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:56 am

MichaelB wrote:I'm happy to reveal that the hefty booklet will include brand new (and in many cases world premiere) translations of the Pirandello short stories that fuelled Kaos.
You just made a sale.

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS

#25 Post by ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:53 am

MichaelB wrote:All three 2K restorations will be in Arrow's box.

I can't confirm on-disc extras yet as some are still being pinned down (although the big interview from the Cohen disc is definite), but I'm happy to reveal that the hefty booklet will include brand new (and in many cases world premiere) translations of the Pirandello short stories that fuelled Kaos.
Will we get more than those three in the Arrow boxset? Might need to cancel my Cohen pre-order...