Audition

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Mel

Re: Audition

#26 Post by Mel » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:22 am

I love this movie. I'm very curious how the transfer will look compared to the Shout Factory BD. The US disk looks okay but there is definitely room for improvement. So I'm holding on to my US disk and wait for the reviews to see if an upgrade is worth it.

I really don't like the cover of the steelbook (the dark colors mainly) and that's a shame because from this movie a lot of cool covers can be made.

rapta

#27 Post by rapta » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:57 am

MichaelB wrote:
rapta wrote:This is also apparently going to be an in-house restoration from the original negatives, and apparently it's looking in tip-top shape.
It's definitely an in-house restoration, but the source is the original 35mm interpositive. But it should be a substantial advance on previous video versions.

The four existing interviews are also being presented in the original HD for what I believe is the first time.
Apologies, Michael! I was paraphrasing your own comments on Blu-ray.com and managed to brisk over a key bit of information. Either way, it's sounding like it'll be a great release and I certainly wish for more ex-Tartan titles to join future Arrow slates!

Banasa

#28 Post by Banasa » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:21 pm

Titus

#29 Post by Titus » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:29 pm

I didn't realize this was getting a Rayns interview. That should be interesting. He's been a huge Miike supporter for 20+ years now, yet I don't believe he's ever been commissioned to contribute to any DVD/Blu Ray releases of Miike's work prior to this.

Orlac

#30 Post by Orlac » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:29 pm

The lack of David M on compression is telling - http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=7367&d2=7368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS

#31 Post by ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:40 pm

Orlac wrote:The lack of David M on compression is telling - http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=7367&d2=7368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That looks pretty bad.

W0rldofsound

#32 Post by W0rldofsound » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:27 pm

DVD Beaver mentions two booklets for the Steelbook edition, however I only got one. Can anymore else confirm this?

MichaelB

#33 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:18 am

There's only one booklet.

Banasa

#34 Post by Banasa » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:29 pm

For those who are still curious if they want that paper inside the sleeve, I'm not sure how much they should seek it out now that it's out of print.

The essay isn't bad, but it also doesn't go over too many things not covered in the commentaries already except about the films release in New York and UK. Also, my copy the pages in the index don't seem to correspond with the page numbers in the actual booklet itself. It's all a bit odd. Makes me wonder if there was originally more content for the booklet?

PianoMan88

#35 Post by PianoMan88 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:01 am

I was watching the movie last night and came across a small and somewhat sudden skip in frames/or overlap in shots (cannot tell due to my lack of Japanese knowledge) in Chapter 4 right after Asami says "Yes, in the 4th District. It's got a funny name, the Stone Fish.", when the camera moves to Aoyama (apologies for not having the exact timecode, my Region Free player is a Sony S3700, and has no digital display in the front).

Anyone else sees the same? A small blip, but it caught my eye as I was watching it.

On another note: It was my first time viewing the movie in glorious HD. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time...

MichaelB

#36 Post by MichaelB » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:50 pm

I don't know why they're there, but they've always been in the film, and Arrow's technical team can confirm that they're also in the 35mm IP - which was struck directly from the spliced original camera negative. So they'll be in the OCN as well.

The most convincing explanation I've seen is that Miike was cutting together different takes and didn't have sufficient cutaway material, so hoped that he could get away with an almost imperceptible skip.

PianoMan88

#37 Post by PianoMan88 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:56 pm

Thanks Michael.

Certainly seemed like something that had occurred during the original splicing of the scene. I wish I spoke Japanese, I could understand why the scene was cut that way. It certainly was not a single shot, so you would think Miike would have some options when cutting, but who knows.

Anyone here speak Japanese?

To those looking at the Steelbook Edition from Arrow, I highly recommend the package, very nicely put together, and it still comes with a booklet (I just ordered mine a couple of weeks ago direct from Arrow).

colinr0380

#38 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:27 pm

I'm open to it being a stylistic, almost Godardian, jump cut technique (something that can have both a practical and artistic explanation!). For instance see the major example of dissonance that occurs at the beginning of the final section where as the main character is drugged and falls down on the floor paralysed, there is a very jarring jump in the film on the moment of impact into the brief memory flashback scene before he regains consciousness again and the torture scene starts in earnest.

(I seem to remember there being a few examples of jump cuts in the middle of scenes in Gozu too)

dwk

#39 Post by dwk » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:54 am

Via the the blu-ray.com forums, screenshot comparisons between Arrow's UK and US releases show that Arrow re-encoded (and improved) this for the US release.