Crimson Peak

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

R0lf

Re: Crimson Peak (Guillermo del Toro, 2015)

#26 Post by R0lf » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:51 pm

TMDaines wrote:The film would comfortably pass the Bechdel test anyway, since the central theme of the film, as Matrix has pointed out, is about the power struggle between the two women and not solely via discussions over Thomas.
Is there any power struggle between the two women that isn't over Thomas?

matrixschmatrix

#27 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:02 pm

R0lf wrote:
TMDaines wrote:The film would comfortably pass the Bechdel test anyway, since the central theme of the film, as Matrix has pointed out, is about the power struggle between the two women and not solely via discussions over Thomas.
Is there any power struggle between the two women that isn't over Thomas?
Yes?
SpoilerShow
Over feeding Edith poison, over things to do with the house, over whether Edith should have keys, etc
Thomas is not the literal subject of most of what they talk about, so unless you're assuming the house is a metonym specifically for him, I don't really think this holds up at all.

colinr0380

#28 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:13 am

I'm afraid I don't have much to contribute at the moment to this as Crimson Peak is still in my to watch pile but as a Guillermo del Toro fan I've never found any of his films to be less than interesting. Though I find that he has a penchant for embellishing like crazy around the core of a simple story that sometimes works beautifully (Cronos, Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth. Even Blade II. You could even point to P.T. as another perfect example) and sometimes not so much (I just don't end up with the same connection to the Hellboy films, though its easy enough to tell that they are products of a deep affection with the source material. Though I guess you can say the same thing about Peter Jackson and the Lord of the Rings)

Though I am curious about this whole Bechdel test thing: would a film get a provisional pass if two women constantly talk about a man, but its only about how they are going to murder him? (i.e. the Diabolique test!)

Werewolf by Night

#29 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:00 am

colinr0380 wrote:Though I am curious about this whole Bechdel test thing: would a film get a provisional pass if two women constantly talk about a man, but its only about how they are going to murder him? (i.e. the Diabolique test!)
Apparently yes (but only because they have a single short conversation about something other than the man).

matrixschmatrix

#30 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:30 pm

We're probably going to get a thread split here, but: I feel like the Bechdel test is something of a blunt instrument- it's a good tool to determine the overall state of Hollywood's ability to remember women are people, but an extremely poor tool for telling you anything about a particular movie (Gravity would not pass the Bechdel test.)

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#31 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:45 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:We're probably going to get a thread split here, but: I feel like the Bechdel test is something of a blunt instrument- it's a good tool to determine the overall state of Hollywood's ability to remember women are people, but an extremely poor tool for telling you anything about a particular movie (Gravity would not pass the Bechdel test.)
Bechdel herself has said pretty much the same thing.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#32 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:40 am

Coming from Arrow, details TK

KJones77

Re: Crimson Peak

#33 Post by KJones77 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:19 am

Love it! Cannot wait to get my hands on this one.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#34 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 am

All I took away from this film is that this is why you pay movie stars money, because Chastain does all she can to save this (to no avail)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#35 Post by tenia » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:31 am

This looks like a neat release, but yeah, the movie felt very mediocre to me (and overlong), the point all these extras might actually be better watches than the movie itself.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:06 am

The cover is hideous, it looks like a screen grab from a Sega Genesis console game

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#37 Post by tenia » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:09 pm

Most of this month's announcements' covers are quite bad IMO (interestingly, Matt Griffin is responsible for what I think are the best - Texas Adios - and the worst of this month - the De Palma boxset collage - ).

KJones77

#38 Post by KJones77 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:09 pm

See I love the cover. Very cool design.

One of my favorite Del Toro's as well. Only behind the three Criterion released.

Glad this was the Del Toro they released and not the terrible Mimic.

colinr0380

#39 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:13 pm

Luckily Mimic got a great Blu-ray release in the US a few years back (with a very fun commentary about how much del Toro hates the film, which includes the opening line "I made this film when I was 33, which is the perfect age to be crucified"!), so that one is already covered.

Embarrassingly I still have not got to Crimson Peak in my 'to watch' pile yet, so I might jump straight past the DVD to this new edition. I think I am still traumatised by memories of the over the top Jan de Bont remake of The Haunting, that exchanged subtlety for CGI, but while I'm sure the ghosts will be just as much 'in your face' in this film I am a little more confident of del Toro's talent to not just have it all being sound and fury meaning nothing much at all! (And it will immediately be better than The Haunting remake for not being associated by name with the classic 1960s film!)

I remember though that my mum really liked this film when she saw it, if that means anything! Strangely I think without meaning to we had a few important del Toro film experiences together over the decades - I introduced her to Cronos, whilst she took me to the cinema in Cornwall to see Mimic, and she certainly recommended Crimson Peak highly to me when she first saw it!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#40 Post by cdnchris » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:18 pm

I'm more shocked at what Universal is letting go and sort of surprised Arrow is able to get in there before Criterion and Shout (the film's not great but I figured with their work with del Toro before Criterion would have went after this one).

I'm guessing it's also safe to assume Criterion or Shout have Children of Men.

rapta

#41 Post by rapta » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:01 pm

I noticed on the Arrow store that this says it has two discs. Since this has all the exact same extras as the current studio disc, is it safe to assume this will actually just be a repress of that same disc, with a special features disc added by Arrow - containing the new documentaries/video extras? That would certainly be cheaper at their end than encoding a new disc entirely just to re-jig a few of the extras around.

It might even be the case that Universal allowed them to license it but not produce their own disc - as Indicator had to do for Jason and the Argonauts, or Arrow previously had to do for Annie Hall and Manhattan.

Either way, as much as I admire certain elements of this film, it's not in the top tier of Del Toro films for me. In fact I think The Shape of Water is his most successful film since Pan's Labyrinth purely in terms of execution.

nitin

#42 Post by nitin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:55 pm

I like this movie, but pointless ‘upgrade’. But should sell well for them regardless.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#43 Post by tenia » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:05 am

rapta wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:01 pm
I noticed on the Arrow store that this says it has two discs. Since this has all the exact same extras as the current studio disc, is it safe to assume this will actually just be a repress of that same disc, with a special features disc added by Arrow - containing the new documentaries/video extras? That would certainly be cheaper at their end than encoding a new disc entirely just to re-jig a few of the extras around.
They're will have to re-author the movie disc to fit with the usual Arrow menus layout and includes the usual Arrow opening logo and legal opening text and stuff. They're including a 5.1 track, which is also something absent from the current studio disc.

rapta

#44 Post by rapta » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:43 pm

tenia wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:05 am
rapta wrote:
They're will have to re-author the movie disc to fit with the usual Arrow menus layout and includes the usual Arrow opening logo and legal opening text and stuff. They're including a 5.1 track, which is also something absent from the current studio disc.
Ah, that's the only spec I didn't pick up on. That pretty much confirms it won't be a cut + paste job then.

Still, I wonder why this'll be 2 discs. Do we expect they'll add even more? A simple 2 hours of Del Toro just sat talking about gothic horror with someone like Kim Newman would be good fun, if at all possible. In fact, I wonder why Del Toro isn't involved directly - I swear he has shown up on a few UK discs before (e.g. MoC's Vampyr).

KJones77

#45 Post by KJones77 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:51 pm

rapta wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:43 pm
tenia wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:05 am
rapta wrote:
Ah, that's the only spec I didn't pick up on. That pretty much confirms it won't be a cut + paste job then.

Still, I wonder why this'll be 2 discs. Do we expect they'll add even more? A simple 2 hours of Del Toro just sat talking about gothic horror with someone like Kim Newman would be good fun, if at all possible. In fact, I wonder why Del Toro isn't involved directly - I swear he has shown up on a few UK discs before (e.g. MoC's Vampyr).
Hasn't he worked with Arrow before as well? I'm pretty sure he was on one of the extras for the Romero box.

dwk

#46 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:47 pm

Delayed to next year. New release dates: UK - January 14, US - January 15

Finch

Crimson Peak

#47 Post by Finch » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:53 pm

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
4K (2160p) Ultra HD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible), approved by director Guillermo del Toro
• Original DTS:X Master Audio sound
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Optional Descriptive Video Service® (DVS®) for the visually impaired
• Audio commentary by co-writer and director Guillermo del Toro
• The House is Alive: Constructing Crimson Peak, a feature-length documentary with cast and crew interviews and extensive behind the scenes footage
• Spanish language interview with Guillermo del Toro
• The Gothic Corridor, The Scullery, The Red Clay Mines, The Limbo Fog Set; four featurettes exploring different aspects of Allerdale Hall
• A Primer on Gothic Romance, the director and stars talk about the key traits of Gothic romance
• The Light and Dark of Crimson Peak, the cast and crew talk about the film’s use of color
• Hand Tailored Gothic, a featurette on the film’s striking costumes
• A Living Thing, a look at the design, modelling and construction of the Allerdale Hall sets
• Beware of Crimson Peak, a walking tour around Allerdale Hall with Tom Hiddleston
• Crimson Phantoms, a featurette on the film’s amazing ghosts
• Kim Newman on Crimson Peak and the Tradition of Gothic Romance, an interview with the author and critic
• Violence and Beauty in Guillermo del Toro’s Gothic Fairy Tale Films, a video essay by the writer Kat Ellinger
• Deleted scenes
• Image gallery
• Original trailers and TV spots
• Double-sided foldout poster
• Four double-sided postcards
• Limited edition packaging designed by Crimson Peak concept artist Guy Davis
• Limited edition 80-page, hard-bound book featuring writing by David Jenkins and Simon Abrams, an archival interview with Guillermo del Toro, and original conceptual design illustrations by artists Guy Davis and Oscar Chichoni