Blood and Black Lace

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

MichaelB

Blood and Black Lace

#1 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:05 pm

SIX MODELS. SIX VICTIMS FOR A CRAZED MASKED KILLER.

The Cristiana Haute Couture fashion house is a home to models… and backstabbing… and blackmail… and drug deals… and MURDER.

Having established a template for the giallo with The Girl Who Knew Too Much, Mario Bava set about cementing its rules with Blood and Black Lace. In doing so he created one of the most influential films ever made – an Italian classic that would spearhead the giallo genre, provide a prototype for the slasher movie, and have a huge effect on filmmakers as diverse as Dario Argento and Martin Scorsese.

Newly restored from the original camera negative and presented here in its original, uncut Italian form, this dual-format release allows fans to see Blood and Black Lace afresh and offers newcomers the ideal introduction to a major piece of cult filmmaking.

4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative by Arrow Films
• 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
• Restored original lossless mono Italian and English soundtracks
• Optional English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• Audio commentary by Mario Bava’s biographer Tim Lucas
• Psycho Analysis – a documentary on Blood and Black Lace and the origins of the giallo genre featuring interviews with directors Dario Argento (Suspiria) and Lamberto Bava (Demons), screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi (All the Colours of the Dark), critics Roberto Curti and Steve Della Casa, and crime novelists Sandrone Dazieri and Carlo Lucarelli
• An appreciation by Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani, the creative duo behind Amer and The Strange Colour of Your Body’s Tears
• Gender and Giallo – a visual essay by Michael Mackenzie exploring the giallo’s relationship with the social upheavals of the 1960s and 70s
• Blood and Bava – a panel discussion on Mario Bava featuring Dario Argento, Lamberto Bava and Steve Della Casa, recorded at the 2014 Courmayeur Film Festival
• The Sinister Image: Cameron Mitchell – an episode of David Del Valle’s television series, devoted to the star of Blood and Black Lace and presented in full
• The alternative US opening titles, sourced from Joe Dante’s private print
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image galleries
• Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Ilan Sheady
• Limited edition 60-page perfect bound book featuring writing on the film by Howard Hughes, Alan Jones and David Del Valle, plus new writing by Rachael Nisbet and Kat Ellinger
• Fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Ilan Sheady
• Six double-sided collector’s postcards

AlexHansen

Re: Blood and Black Lace

#2 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Is this one of the 5 unannounced titles from the Indiegogo campaign? Really tempted to get the SteelBook but don't want to end up with two copies.

TMDaines

#3 Post by TMDaines » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:30 pm

This looks like a fantastic set. Great!

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:40 pm

AlexHansen wrote:Is this one of the 5 unannounced titles from the Indiegogo campaign? Really tempted to get the SteelBook but don't want to end up with two copies.
It is, yes.

It was in fact the "secret weapon" that Arrow was going to unleash if there was any danger of them not hitting the fundraising target, but in the end they didn't need to use it.

EddieLarkin

#5 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Even by Arrow standards, this release (along with Dr Jekyll) seems to be particularly stacked in the extras department. I hope that's due to Arrow being able to work with even bigger budgets now, and that we'll see more of the same in the future!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#6 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:26 pm

And I would have been happy just to be able to see the film in a decent transfer!

Koukol

#7 Post by Koukol » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:52 pm

Another exciting release from Arrow!
I'm so glad I don't have to rely on VCI for this title anymore.

Finch

#8 Post by Finch » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:03 pm

I normally only spend £20+ on Criterion BDs but the steelbook design for this film and the amazing specs sweeten the pill. At this rate, Arrow are taking the mantle of the British Criterion from MoC.

cinemartin

#9 Post by cinemartin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:57 pm

Without a doubt, my favorite Bava and this release looks absolutely definitive. Was actually just wondering if Arrow was going to handle this film. Very excited to pick this up!

dwk

#10 Post by dwk » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:03 pm

US release is delayed.
***BLOOD AND BLACK LACE US RELEASE UPDATE***
Unfortunately some rights issues have meant that we have to postpone our North American release of Blood and Black Lace. Pre-orders will be held while we try to resolve the issue but unfortunately no stock will be shipped in North America for the moment. We are working towards a resolution and hope you will bear with us. Our UK release is unaffected and will start shipping soon.

As soon as we have more news on the situation we will post up another update so please stay tuned!

Koukol

#11 Post by Koukol » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Just order it from Arrow's UK website.
Mine has been shipped.

effigy105

#12 Post by effigy105 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:50 pm

I have the US version coming to me via the Indiegogo campaign. I hope this issue doesn't result in eventual differences between the US and UK editions.

Banasa

#13 Post by Banasa » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:31 pm

That's a shame about the US release as this is probably their most popular name of the films they are releasing. Unless the popularity of Lee Van Cleef is enough to woo sales for Day of Anger. Considering the lack of conversation I see about it on home video message boards, I'd imagine Bava's film is the bigger work, not to mention that it's horror related which I'd figure is the genre that sells well on home video for films that lack star actors and directors.

Then again, if it's still region A/B, it's still shippable to the rest of the world, correct? Sounds like Koukol has their own copy.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#14 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:36 pm

And of course this problem has to come up so close to the US release date!

jsteffe

#15 Post by jsteffe » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:49 pm

Wow, that must be frustrating for the Arrow folks. I'll probably end up ordering the UK release for myself, but I'm looking forward to getting the US Blu-ray for our library whenever things get sorted out.

effigy105

#16 Post by effigy105 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:01 pm

Just got an Indiegogo campaign email letting me know that, should I prefer, I can make a one-time switch for the UK edition of Blood and Black Lace to make up for the delay in the US version. The email offers no further details on the nature of the delays but does still assure us that both the UK and US editions will be identical aside from some localisation details on the packaging.

MichaelB

#17 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:03 pm

There's no question about the machine-readable sides of the discs being identical. Only one master was produced for both territories.

Blind Woman's Curse and possibly Spider Baby are the only exceptions to this rule, as the UK versions were originally released before a US launch had been mooted - but everything else was conceived from the outset as a dual-territory release locked simultaneously to Regions A and B.

effigy105

#18 Post by effigy105 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:12 pm

My primary concern, and I hope it's misplaced, is that something won't work out for the US version and they'll be forced to either drop the edition entirely or some supplement, necessitating re-authoring the US version.

I may be overly wary since Masters of Cinema's recent announcement that their effectively bare-bones release of Satyricon was originally anything but until legal issues rose their ugly head.

Just to be safe I opted to switch to the UK edition of Blood and Black Lace anyway. For a Steelbook the localisation elements should be even less noticeable than usual.

Koukol

#19 Post by Koukol » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:36 pm

I assume the only difference between the US and UK editions would be the age warning on the regular UK BD.
We don't have to deal with PAL conversion with BluRays.

EddieLarkin

#20 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:39 pm

Nor do you with the DVDs, since they're NTSC.

effigy105

#21 Post by effigy105 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:10 pm

Considering Arrow's Steelbooks don't have an exterior BBFC logo (rather, they're kept printed on a wraparound piece of cardstock along with other product details etc.) the US and UK releases may be indistinguishable on the shelf until you open them up and look at the discs (which would bear the BBFC logo on the label side). Again, my concern is simply the unknown of contractual issues.

Finch

#22 Post by Finch » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:40 pm

Received my steelbook together with Day of Anger. Watching the Bava tonight.

Koukol

#23 Post by Koukol » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:27 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:Nor do you with the DVDs, since they're NTSC.
Arrow's UK DVDs are no longer PAL?

EddieLarkin

#24 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:29 pm

The dual territory titles certainly aren't.

MichaelB

#25 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:42 am

UK-only DVDs are PAL.

Combined UK/US DVDs, for obvious reasons, are NTSC.