The Happiness of the Katakuris

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

antnield

The Happiness of the Katakuris

#1 Post by antnield » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:28 pm

From Takashi Miike, the prolific director of such shocking hits including Audition and Ichi the Killer comes “The Sound of Music meets Dawn of the Dead”!

The Katakuri family run a peaceful country inn at the foot of Mount Fuji. A little more peaceful than anticipated, their only visitors arrive in a series of suicides, murders, and inexplicale deaths. In order not to ruin their reputation, the Katakuris decide to bury the bodies, but will the coverups come back to haunt them...

The Happiness of the Katakuris combines scenes of grotesque stop motion animation, surreal musical numbers, and zombies to make one the finest horror-comedies ever made.

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • New High Definition digital film transfer by Shochiku Co.
  • Presented in High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD
  • Original uncompressed Stereo PCM audio
  • Audio commentary by director Takashi Miike
  • Audio commentary by Miike biographer Tom Mes
  • Violent 'til I Die: A brand new interview with Takashi Miike
  • The Making of the Katakuris – An original documentary from the film’s production featuring interviews and behind-the-scenes footage with the cast and crew
  • Interviews with the Katakuris cast members Kenji Sawada, Keiko Matsuzaka, Kiyoshiro Imawano, Shinji Takeda, Naomi Nishida, Tetsuro Tanba and Miike
  • Animating the Katakuris – A look at the creation of the film’s stop motion effects with animation director Hideki Kimura and Miike
  • Dogs, Pimps and Agitators – A visual essay on Miike's career by Tom Mes
  • Trailer and TV Spots
  • Easter Egg
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by the Twins of Evil

colinr0380

Re: The Happiness of the Katakuris

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:52 pm

antnield wrote:
Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:28 pm
Coming soon to the UK and US.

Indiegogo update #4.
Ah great news! Here's the trailer I'm sure it will be an improvement on the old Tartan Video DVD of the film, and hopefully will carry the extras over from the earlier disc. Plus hopefully get Tom Mes involved in some way, perhaps for an extra commentary track?

Or maybe double bill Katakuris with the 'straightly played' original version of this material, the Korean film The Quiet Family? (Which itself was the first film by Kim Jee-woon, later director of A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life and I Saw The Devil)

Hopefully if Arrow are going to be updating Tartan's Takashi Miike releases, they might upgrade the similarly insane family drama (replacing musical numbers with abundant lactation) Visitor Q! And it would be quite a coup if they could release the 200 minute cut of Agitator (the Tartan release was the 150 minute one)

Grand Wazoo

#3 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:33 pm

So the Code Red guy posted something so bizarre on facebook that I had to share:
you know it's soon time to pack your bags as kid running dvd/blu companies try to put you out of business and a new force in UK raised 130 grand to give you guys what you really want as many of you pre-paid to get the movie in your ultimate WANT LIST. THE HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS. Why even look into anymore movies. 130+ grand = this film you want so bad. I hope you enjoy this WANT LIST FAVORITE.
Here is the actual post. I just don't understand. However, I'm very excited for this release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Isn't this the guy that just restored all of those films from Andy Milligan? Does he really want to play the "Waste of money and energy by a small label" card?

Oh man, click on his responses to people's confusion
it also a musical. $130,ooo cult fans pissed on me saying I am not releasing good shit, this is good shit.
I'm glad I gave up on Code Red a while ago because it would be really hard for me to justify enabling a mentally ill man to enact further harm via my financial support

Grand Wazoo

#5 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:53 pm

It's incredible right? I still want a few of his releases but this behavior has honestly made me stop giving him my money. I have no interest in supporting someone this unpleasant anymore.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:57 pm

As for this film, I'll never forget my girlfriend and I coming across it on Sundance or IFC back when they actually showed movies and being so confused/delighted/unsure if it was actually happening the whole time. Honestly, if she hadn't seen it too I don't think I would have been all that sure it really existed

Grand Wazoo

#7 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:02 pm

I had a roommate in college who, when drunk late at night, would show me small snippets of this and just laugh and laugh. They were so out there that I was consistently fascinated and am pretty surprised I never managed to see the whole thing. So thank you Arrow for helping complete my college education!

David M.

#8 Post by David M. » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:00 am

Grand Wazoo wrote:So the Code Red guy posted something so bizarre on facebook that I had to share:
you know it's soon time to pack your bags as kid running dvd/blu companies try to put you out of business and a new force in UK raised 130 grand to give you guys what you really want as many of you pre-paid to get the movie in your ultimate WANT LIST. THE HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS. Why even look into anymore movies. 130+ grand = this film you want so bad. I hope you enjoy this WANT LIST FAVORITE.
Here is the actual post. I just don't understand. However, I'm very excited for this release.
Yikes. I guess he's not a fan of this film then!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:09 am

I don't think he's a fan of coherent thought
Code Red DVD c'mon simon, you defended arrow non-stop. we know what you want, and you are getting what you want. SCREAM FACTORY is DEAD. Kino is DEAD. ARROW with Japanese musical will invade the cult world ASAP!

rspaight

#10 Post by rspaight » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:14 pm

Just trying to read his posts (and his sleeve blurbs) makes my head hurt.

Ashirg

#11 Post by Ashirg » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:13 pm

MVD announced June 16 for US release and specs:
Happiness Of The Katakuris, The Blu Ray/DVD
The Sound of Music meets Dawn of the Dead

From Takashi Miike, the prolific director of such shocking hits including Audition and Ichi the Killer comes "The Sound of Music meets Dawn of the Dead"! The Katakuris are a family trying to run a peaceful country inn but with a lack of guests there is much excitement for their first visitor, until they wind up dead! As each guest in turn dies in strange circumstances the family agree to hide the bodies but will the coverups come back to haunt them... In The Happiness of the Katakuris scenes of grotesque stop motion animation, surreal musical numbers and zombies combine to make one of the finest horror-comedies ever made.

Bonus Materials:
New High Definition digital film transfer
Presented in High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD
Original uncompressed Stereo PCM audio
Audio commentary by director Takashi Miike
The Making of the Katakuris - An original documentary from the film's production featuring interviews and behind-the-scenes footage with the cast and crew
Interviews with the Katakuris cast members Kenji Sawada, Keiko Matsuzaka, Kiyoshiro Imawano, Shinji Takeda, Naomi Nishida, Tetsuro Tanba and Miike
Animating the Katakuris - A look at the creation of the film's stop motion effects with animation director Hideki Kimura and Miike
Trailer and TV Spots
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by the Twins of Evil
Booklet featuring new writing on the film by author Johnny Mains and a re-printed interview with Miike conducted by Sean Axmaker, illustrated with original stills

rapta

#12 Post by rapta » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:43 pm

Yes! Getting it sooner than I'd hoped :D

Can't wait for this one! Have had the old Tartan DVD (multiple copies, actually) for years. Will make a great double bill with House (aka Hausu). Which reminds me, Eureka need to upgrade that one soon! It's constantly requested, I'm fairly sure.

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:37 am

rapta wrote:It's constantly requested, I'm fairly sure.
If that's even vaguely true, I suspect it's "constantly requested" by the same tiny group of people. Because if there was genuine public demand for a Blu-ray upgrade, surely they'd have done one years ago, given that they already have the relevant rights and an HD master is available off the shelf?

nolanoe

#14 Post by nolanoe » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:25 am

As a huge Miike fan, I can attest to that this has fallen a bit by the wayside. I meant to watch it... umh... 12 years ago? I got sidetracked... looking forward to finally seeing it. But come on, MORE MIIKE NOW PLEASE!!

PfR73

#15 Post by PfR73 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:42 pm

Ashirg wrote:MVD announced June 16 for US release and specs:
Happiness Of The Katakuris, The Blu Ray/DVD

Bonus Materials:
The Making of the Katakuris - An original documentary from the film's production featuring interviews and behind-the-scenes footage with the cast and crew
Interviews with the Katakuris cast members Kenji Sawada, Keiko Matsuzaka, Kiyoshiro Imawano, Shinji Takeda, Naomi Nishida, Tetsuro Tanba and Miike
Both the US & UK DVDs had a 30 minute making of and a 30 minute Miike interview. The US DVD ran them together as an "hour-long" making of, while the UK Tartan DVD separated them (while still listing the making of as 61 minutes on the back). The Tartan DVD also included a separate 5 minute interview with Miike as part of the "Interviewing the Katakuris" section. The Arrow listing doesn't make it clear whether the interview(s) with Miike is the 30 minute one, the 5 minute one, or both. Will both Miike interviews be included? The Arrow package carries over all the other extras from the previous releases, so it would be disappointing for one of them to fall by the wayside.

Banasa

#16 Post by Banasa » Thu May 07, 2015 12:23 pm

Quietly, Arrow announced further extras on this disc. I've only quoted the new additions and bolded ones listed previously that now contain more information.
New High Definition digital film transfer by Shochiku Co.
Audio commentary by Miike biographer Tom Mes
Violent 'til I Die: A brand new interview with Takashi Miike
Dogs, Pimps and Agitators – A visual essay on Miike's career by Tom Mes
Easter Egg
Booklet featuring new writing on the film by author Johnny Mains; Stuart Galbraith IV on Katakuris' star musicians Kenji Sawada and Kiyoshiro Imawano; Grady Hendrix on Katakuris and The Quiet Family, the film it remade; and a re-printed interview with Miike conducted by Sean Axmaker, illustrated with original stills

MichaelB

#17 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 07, 2015 5:12 pm

I signed off on editing Violent 'Til I Die a few days ago, and the running time is a whisker under 40 minutes - Miike is in a very chatty mood, and there's loads of stuff there.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#18 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu May 07, 2015 9:51 pm

Two commentaries now? Wow, I'm glad Mes is involved in this release. I'm a Miike neophyte so this should be quite the introduction.

kindaikun

#19 Post by kindaikun » Fri May 08, 2015 8:55 am

I assume the Miike commentary is the same as the one on the old DVD? If so, it's one of my favourite commentaries of all time, absolutely hilarious. I haven't heard it for years now but I'd love to have another listen on the new Blu-ray.

MichaelB

#20 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 08, 2015 9:14 am

Arrow is very keen indeed to do more Miike, so they're pulling out all the stops on this one.

As ever, though, if it sells, there'll be more - but if it doesn't, there won't.

Banasa

#21 Post by Banasa » Fri May 08, 2015 11:00 am

I'm more surprised that every extra that colinr0380 thought of turned out to be on this disc.

Except the inclusion of The Quiet Family, unless that's one hell of an Easter Egg!

MichaelB

#22 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 08, 2015 12:04 pm

It's not. But I suspect you knew that already.

Banasa

#23 Post by Banasa » Fri May 08, 2015 12:07 pm

I'm just spreading rumors where I can.

PfR73

#24 Post by PfR73 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi Michael,
Do you have any information about my above question regarding older Miike interviews from the previous DVD releases?

MichaelB

#25 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 08, 2015 1:51 pm

I know nothing about this release besides the single extra that I edited and the written specs above - sorry!