Salvatore Giuliano

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

MichaelB

Re: Salvatore Giuliano

#26 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:36 pm

rwaits

#27 Post by rwaits » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:23 am

Can someone please explain the multiple artwork designs - it doesn't look like either are a steel book. I noticed multiple designs for Brute Force as well. Thanks.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#28 Post by Drucker » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:26 am

Are you talking about the fact that Arrow has reversible sleeves? You can choose one of two cover designs with many (most?) of their releases.

MichaelB

#29 Post by MichaelB » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:27 am

There's just the one Amaray release, which gives you the choice of Jay Shaw's stylised new artwork (the octopus) or one of the original poster designs. This is standard practice for Arrow.

MichaelB

#30 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:50 pm

The Least Picture Show:
Simply one of the best HD transfers of a black-and-white film you’re likely to see. Detail is fine-grained, the blacks of cars and umbrellas satisfyingly inky. The deep focus camerawork is pitilessly sharp. Throughout, the actors stand out in an almost 3D way against the rugged scenery.

ellipsis7

#31 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:29 am

I have this in hand now, giving it a brief spin on the deck before I have to go out, and on initial impression can absolutely concur with the high assessment of the picture quality - it's really a quantum leap improvement from the Criterion DVD, the tones and lines now rendered so crisply in HD... Look forward to seeing the whole excellent package through later...

Bürgermeister

#32 Post by Bürgermeister » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:34 pm

Just watched this. Great film, easily one of the best films Arrow has.
It's a shame about the print damage near the end in the cell. Otherwise it's pretty immaculate.

olmo

#33 Post by olmo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:14 am

The realism that Rosi conveys in his films are breathtaking, the way he can orchestrate huge amounts of people into a believable hysteria is astonishing (see also the witnesses to the building collapse in Le Mani Sulla Citta). The case of the Portella Della Ginestre massacre is a case in point, where the crowd react initially with a detached confusion to distant gunfire rather than immediate panic.

Rosi explains later in one of the disc's documentaries that he corralled actual witnesses to the massacre and to act as they did at the time. It sounds simple, but I think that's the key - instead of directing them to act and react in a way audiences are inured to. It gives the scene more impact and it's all the more powerful. The scene with the women of Montelepre attempting to liberate their husbands and sons from the authorities about to cart them off to an (to them) unknown fate is something of a tour de force also, Rosi using a very telling conceit to create a more frenzied effect from the participants.

The film's Portella Della Ginestre sequence must have been a strong influence on Coppola for Godfather Pt II's opening flashback scene where young Vito's brother is gunned down. The similarities are very strong.

One of Arrow Academy's finest releases in my opinion.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#34 Post by Drucker » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:08 pm

Agree with the above post, and this, my second time watching the film, really made me fall in love with the film. This and Hands Over the City are cynical masterpieces, but I have an embarrassing question:
SpoilerShow
Giuliano was responsible for the massacre, right? If so, is it ever really established what his motive is? Seeing as they were a local party, I was really confused as to his motivation to harm his fellow citizens.

Altair

#35 Post by Altair » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:08 am

Drucker wrote:
SpoilerShow
Giuliano was responsible for the massacre, right? If so, is it ever really established what his motive is? Seeing as they were a local party, I was really confused as to his motivation to harm his fellow citizens.
If you watch the on-disc extras, you'll see that the motivations behind the Portella della Ginestra massacre are disputed and very controversial in Sicily so I think it's quite fitting that, just as we never really see Salvatore Giuliano himself, his reasons are equally mysterious.

MichaelB

Salvatore Giuliano

#36 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:10 am

I'm so impressed with Daniel Bird's extras for this - I just gave him some money and a plane ticket to Italy and he not only came back with two fascinating and often contradictory interviews with people who have a close personal interest in Salvatore Giuliano but very different perspectives, but also what may well be the last on-camera interview with Francesco Rosi himself. Certainly one of the last.