The Long Good Friday

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

antnield

The Long Good Friday

#1 Post by antnield » Thu May 01, 2014 6:40 am

WHO LIT THE FUSE THAT TORE HAROLD'S WORLD APART?

Harold Shand (Bob Hoskins) is a businessman with great ambitions. Spotting the development potential of London’s derelict Docklands area years before the Thatcher government, he tries to broker a deal with his American counterpart (Eddie Constantine) that will make them both millions. But who is killing Harold’s other associates and blowing up his businesses – and why?

Universally regarded as one of the greatest British gangster films ever made, The Long Good Friday rocketed Hoskins to international stardom. He’s given sterling support from Helen Mirren (as his upper-crust mistress), Paul Freeman (Raiders of the Lost Ark) and Derek Thompson (Casualty), and there’s even an early appearance from future James Bond Pierce Brosnan.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation of the film, in a brand new restoration sourced from the original camera negatives and approved by cinematographer Phil Méheux
• Original uncompressed PCM mono 1.0 sound
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary by director John Mackenzie
• Bloody Business, a documentary about the making of The Long Good Friday, including interviews with John Mackenzie, stars Bob Hoskins, Helen Mirren, Pierce Brosnan, producer Barry Hanson and Phil Méheux
• Brand new interviews with Barry Hanson, Phil Méheux and writer Barrie Keeffe
• Hands Across the Ocean – A comparison of the differences between the UK and US soundtracks
• Original trailers
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin

Graham

Re: The Long Good Friday

#2 Post by Graham » Thu May 01, 2014 4:46 pm

antnield wrote:
Thu May 01, 2014 6:40 am
Confirmed as forthcoming on Facebook.
Fantastic. The old blu was in a cropped ratio, I believe. Was thinking of this film today and yesterday after the sad news that Bob Hoskins had died.

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:39 am

Arrow has confirmed an April 2015 release.

With regard to the ratio, I'm delighted to confirm that it will be presented in its original theatrical 1.85:1 for what I believe is the first time on a domestic video release. Cinematographer Phil Meheux (who was on hand to supervise the final grading and mastering) said that while the film was protected for 1.33:1 during shooting, this was purely because of the very real possibility that it might go straight to TV - but he was adamant that 1.85:1 was the intended projection ratio.

From what I gather, a major problem with the older HD master is that it's significantly cropped at the sides (Anchor Bay said that they were aware of the aspect ratio controversy but couldn't do anything about it with the materials that they had) - but because Arrow went back to the original camera negative they had access to the entire image and were able to frame it exactly as Meheux intended.

(James White tells me that Meheux was an absolute joy to work with - so precise and decisive about what he wanted that the grading sessions went like a breeze, and they even had time at the end of the session for a complete run-through and final tweak, which is a rare luxury. I haven't seen the restoration myself yet, but people who have say that it's an unrecognisable improvement on previous releases.)

McCrutchy

#4 Post by McCrutchy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:11 am

MichaelB wrote:Arrow has confirmed an April 2015 release.

With regard to the ratio, I'm delighted to confirm that it will be presented in its original theatrical 1.85:1 for what I believe is the first time on a domestic video release. Cinematographer Phil Meheux (who was on hand to supervise the final grading and mastering) said that while the film was protected for 1.33:1 during shooting, this was purely because of the very real possibility that it might go straight to TV - but he was adamant that 1.85:1 was the intended projection ratio.

From what I gather, a major problem with the older HD master is that it's significantly cropped at the sides (Anchor Bay said that they were aware of the aspect ratio controversy but couldn't do anything about it with the materials that they had) - but because Arrow went back to the original camera negative they had access to the entire image and were able to frame it exactly as Meheux intended.

(James White tells me that Meheux was an absolute joy to work with - so precise and decisive about what he wanted that the grading sessions went like a breeze, and they even had time at the end of the session for a complete run-through and final tweak, which is a rare luxury. I haven't seen the restoration myself yet, but people who have say that it's an unrecognisable improvement on previous releases.)
When I read "back to the original camera negative" I became physically aroused. Now I know what to have the phone sex operator repeat the next time I call in:

"I don't give a shit what you're wearing, just tell me you're 'going back to the original camera negative' until I say 'Finished!' If you want to mix it up, you can alternate that with 'I'm doing a 4K scan' and 'William Friedkin talked so much while recording the audio commentary, he had to be taken to the hospital for exhaustion, and we won't be able to use it'. Please don't forget to do all this in a Kathleen Turner voice".

Plus, I think it would be really great to do an LE release with a remastered soundtrack, if possible. The CDs have been out-of-print for years, and are apparently of middling quality. Francis Monkman's work on the film is great, and who doesn't love the iconic main title music?

EddieLarkin

#5 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:15 pm

Original mono would be most welcome as well; my current copy only has some silly 5.1 thing.

MichaelB

The Long Good Friday

#6 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:02 pm

It will definitely be original mono - and original dialogue. Although there's a strong probability that we'll be offering samples of the more US-friendly version that tones down some of the more colloquial passages.

Sloper

#7 Post by Sloper » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:50 pm

My old VHS copy had a lovely intro before the title sequence providing a glossary for certain words like 'ponce' and 'grass'. Probably very useful for overseas audiences, but it also enhanced the tone and pacing of the film's opening. I always miss it when I watch the Anchor Bay DVD - not sure whether any other editions have included it. Any chance it'll be on this one?

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:18 pm

I haven't decided yet how best to present stuff like this - I'm acutely aware of the risk of patronising British audiences who are well aware what "ponce" and "grass" mean. So I might well end up incorporating this material into a featurette comparing the UK and US soundtracks and speculating on why they were changed. The differences aren't that extensive*, so it might suit this kind of treatment.

(*Talking of which, when I interviewed producer Barry Hanson a few weeks ago for one of Arrow's new extras, I asked him if he knew what became of the notorious Lew Grade cut, reduced to something like 85 minutes, with all references to the IRA removed and Hoskins entirely redubbed by actor David Daker. While it would obviously be completely ghastly, I thought that it might be a weirdly fascinating supplement along the lines of the "Love Conquers All" cut of Brazil. But Hanson told me that the only copy was destroyed as soon as the HandMade deal was signed, and he said this with some relish.)

olmo

#9 Post by olmo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:44 am

MichaelB wrote:Arrow has confirmed an April 2015 release.

A favourite section of the film which I'm looking forward to see in HD is a small, almost completely inconsequential sequence of Helen Mirren & Derek Thompson (Jeff) driving through the streets of night-time London towards the end of the film. It's possibly the Director indulging the cinematoghrapher, but I think it's a fantastic looking shot.

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:55 am

A shamelessly opportunist response to BAFTA omitting Bob Hoskins' name from the roster of the recently deceased during last night's award ceremony - and it also offers a very brief glimpse of the new Arrow restoration.

EddieLarkin

#11 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:15 pm

And confirmation of a slight delay (though admittedly it hasn't had an official date set until now). Now coming May 4th.

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:03 pm

Full specs announced:
The Long Good Friday (Arrow Video) Limited Edition SteelBook Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD

WHO LIT THE FUSE THAT TORE HAROLD’S WORLD APART?

Harold Shand (Bob Hoskins) is a businessman with great ambitions. Spotting the development potential of London’s derelict Docklands area years before the Thatcher government, he tries to broker a deal with his American counterpart (Eddie Constantine) that will make them both millions. But who is killing Harold’s other associates and blowing up his businesses - and why?

Universally regarded as one of the greatest British gangster films ever made, The Long Good Friday rocketed Hoskins to international stardom. He’s given sterling support from Helen Mirren (as his upper-crust mistress), Paul Freeman (Raiders of the Lost Ark) and Derek Thompson (Casualty), and there’s even an early appearance from future James Bond Pierce Brosnan.

But it’s Hoskins’ film through and through, his towering performance taking on a Shakespearean intensity as he’s forced to resort to the down-and-dirty methods that he thought he’d put behind him in order to find out who’s muscling in on his territory on what should be the best day of his life. He quickly finds out that this will be a very long Good Friday indeed…

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
Limited Edition SteelBook™ Packaging featuring original artwork
High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray and Standard Definition DVD presentation of a brand new restoration sourced from the original camera negatives and approved by cinematographer Phil Meheux
Original uncompressed PCM mono 1.0 sound
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Audio commentary by director John Mackenzie
Bloody Business, a documentary about the making of the film, including interviews with John Mackenzie, stars Bob Hoskins, Helen Mirren, Pierce Brosnan, producer Barry Hanson and Phil Meheux
Brand new interviews with Barry Hanson, writer Barrie Keeffe and Phil Meheux
Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic and BFI curator Mark Duguid, illustrated with original production stills
More to be announced!

Region: B/2
Rating: 18
Duration: 109 mins
Language: English
Subtitles: English SDH
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: PCM mono 1.0
Colour
Discs: 2
Cat No: FCD1035
Barcode: 5027035012032
RRP: £24.99
Release Date: 4 May 2015
And also...
The Long Good Friday + Mona Lisa (Arrow Video) Limited Edition Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD

WHO LIT THE FUSE THAT TORE HAROLD’S WORLD APART?

Harold Shand (Bob Hoskins) is a businessman with great ambitions. Spotting the development potential of London’s derelict Docklands area years before the Thatcher government, he tries to broker a deal with his American counterpart (Eddie Constantine) that will make them both millions. But who is killing Harold’s other associates and blowing up his businesses - and why?

This special limited edition also includes Mona Lisa, Hoskins’ return to the gangster genre - although the kingpin here is played by a mesmerisingly slimy Michael Caine, with Hoskins merely George the chauffeur, transporting high-class prostitute (Cathy Tyson) from client to client. But when she enlists his help in tracking down an old friend, George finds himself exploring a hellish underworld that he never imagined existed.

6-DISC SPECIAL EDITION BOXED SET CONTENTS:
High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray and Standard Definition DVD presentation of both films, in brand new restorations sourced from the original camera negatives and approved by cinematographer Phil Meheux (The Long Good Friday), director Neil Jordan and cinematographer Roger Pratt (Mona Lisa)
Original uncompressed PCM mono 1.0 sound
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Newly illustrated packaging by Matthew Griffin
THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY DISCS 1 & 2 - BLU-RAY & DVD
Audio commentary by director John Mackenzie
Bloody Business, a documentary about the making of The Long Good Friday, including interviews with John Mackenzie, stars Bob Hoskins, Helen Mirren, Pierce Brosnan, producer Barry Hanson and Phil Meheux
Brand new interviews with Barry Hanson, writer Barrie Keeffe and Phil Meheux
Original Trailer
More to be announced!
THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY DISCS 3 & 4 - BLU-RAY & DVD [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
Q&A with Bob Hoskins and John Mackenzie, moderated by Richard Jobson
Apaches (1977), John Mackenzie’s notorious farm safety film, presented in High Definition (1080p) for the first time
Introduction to Apaches by cinematographer Phil Meheux
More to be announced!
MONA LISA DISCS 5 & 6 – BLU-RAY & DVD
Audio commentary by Bob Hoskins and Neil Jordan
Brand new interviews with director Neil Jordan, writer David Leland and producer Stephen Woolley
Original Trailer
100-PAGE HARDBACK BOOK [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
Featuring new writing on the film by critics Mark Duguid and Mike Sutton plus archive pieces, illustrated with original production stills

Region: B/2
Rating: 18
Duration: 109 mins/103 mins
Language: English
Subtitles: English SDH
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: PCM mono 1.0
Colour
Discs: 6
Cat No: FCD1080
Barcode: 5027035012483
RRP: £49.99
Release Date: 4 May 2015

EddieLarkin

#13 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:34 pm

The big box set is a far more reasonable price than the Withnail and I one. £32.99 (£29.70 once you factor in the points you get back) means I won't feel as silly when the inevitable standalone Mona Lisa is released (and on top of that, it would seem the second The Long Good Friday Blu-ray will remain a box set exclusive, along with the book).

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:37 pm

Arrow has already confirmed on Facebook that there'll be a standalone Mona Lisa at some unspecified point in the future.

But the book and the limited edition disc (with the Blu-ray premiere of Apaches) will be exclusive to the box set.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#15 Post by tenia » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:44 pm

Crap : I always buy the Steelbook version of a Arrow release when available (and if I haven't already bought the title). But I'm going to take the limited edition after like 1 sec of hesitation. :D

rapta

#16 Post by rapta » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:58 pm

tenia wrote:Crap : I always buy the Steelbook version of a Arrow release when available (and if I haven't already bought the title). But I'm going to take the limited edition after like 1 sec of hesitation. :D
Exactly my reaction!

Looking forward to this one. Not sure whether to wait for the separate Mona Lisa or get this set. Will probably get this set - I actually prefer Arrow's digipack releases to their steelbooks in all honesty.

chatterjees

#17 Post by chatterjees » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:30 pm

Definitely pre-ordering this set. Does UK only edition(s) for the film(s) mean that there is still a chance of them coming back to Criterion in US?

Izo

#18 Post by Izo » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:25 pm

For those that don't have the BFI COI set that it came on, "Apaches" is absolutely terrific and completely bizarre. It features a group of children playing a Bunuelian game of cowboys and Indians where one by one they're picked off by their own carelessness around farming equipment. Seeing that short in HD really ups the value of this entire set for me.

bainbridgezu

#19 Post by bainbridgezu » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:28 am

Some screenshots. Wow. Phenomenal work, Michael B. and company.

MichaelB

#20 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:33 am

James White and company. I was merely lucky enough to get an early preview.

But I certainly agree that it looks amazing. I suspect quite a few reviewers who blamed the original cinematography for less than optimal transfers in the past will have to eat their words.

bainbridgezu

#21 Post by bainbridgezu » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:43 am

I can't wait to see how Mona Lisa turns out, as that and The Long Good Friday have long been two of my favorite films. It's thrilling to finally see them treated so well.

MichaelB

#22 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:18 pm

Same restoration team, same equipment, same source (original camera negative), and a similar official endorsement, this time from both the director and cinematographer.

So you can completely relax about this one - if you've been happy with Arrow's other HandMade restorations (Time Bandits, Withnail & I, How To Get Ahead In Advertising), you'll be happy with this.

Oh, and here's the first review of The Long Good Friday that I'm aware of, courtesy of The Digital Fix:
In summation, it's fair to say that you will have never, EVER seen The Long Good Friday look this good before and Arrow's restoration is one for the books. Magnificent stuff.

MichaelB

#23 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:44 am

Blu-ray.com gives perfect marks for picture, sound and extras.

MichaelB

#24 Post by MichaelB » Sun May 03, 2015 5:41 am

DVD Compare seems equally keen - and the review of the film itself is packed with well-researched detail.

Rupert Pupkin

#25 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon May 04, 2015 12:36 am

thanks a lot for the dvdcompare link.

it seems that they have tested the box set rather than the Steelbook edition (although both Blu-Ray disks are the same).
Is there a review of "Mona Lisa" blu-ray available at dvdcompare too ?? (I've searched but didn't find it)