Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Slaphappy

Re: Twin Peaks

#1226 Post by Slaphappy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:32 am

Tracking down agent Cooper’s lineage I noticed, that Borges likens inspector Lönnrot to Poe’s detective Auguste Dupon and the first Dupon story Murders in Rue Morgue opens with wonderful quote from the esoteric 17th century polymath Sir Thomas Browne: ”What song the Sirens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, though puzzling questions, are not beyond all conjecture.”

Whether the rabbit hole goes deeper I don’t know, but on a sidenote I must say, that Browne’s quote reminds me a lot of Ezra Pound’s Canto I. I happened to read his poem The Return the same summer third season premiered and without even realizing the similar titles I immedialety felt like it was aestetically the most Lynchian thing I’ve ever read. https://harpers.org/blog/2008/01/pounds-the-return/

DarkImbecile
LightGenius

#1227 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:08 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1228 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:36 pm

Now that’s how you milk the fans

flyonthewall2983

#1229 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:14 pm

I don't know if we talked about it after the episode aired, but the moment where Alicia Witt and Caleb Landry Jones' characters are sitting at the base of a tree, after what I think is the murder of Seyfried's character, has really stuck out in my memory as of late. There's a raw element to it that feels even out of Lynch's playhouse for me because it lacks the kind of histrionics the show is known for. It's not spelled out, but you do get a feeling for what exactly is going on and is tragic to watch. I remember it really coming out of left-field for me as much as the more obvious left-field moments.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1230 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:57 pm

It was a really interesting move on Lynch's part not to let us too far into the worlds of the young characters who are living in Twin Peaks today, including Seyfried. We get glimpses, of course, of the sorts of things going on in the town, but it would've likely been a needless step to show us too much, and you're right that the result of that is a bit of a haunting shadow left from the glimpses we do get.

Robin Davies

#1231 Post by Robin Davies » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:20 pm

The only thing that bugged me about that scene was that I couldn't figure out most of what Steven was saying on the original broadcast.
I was glad to get the Blu-ray release so I could check out the subtitles.
The biggest mystery in the series is surely - why are two women absolutely besotted with such a scrawny, violent, addicted loser?
Why on earth does "everybody love Steven"?

Finch

#1232 Post by Finch » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:49 pm

I agree that didn't seem to be backed up by any other scenes in the season from what I can remember (I guess Lynch and Frost's implication being that Steven was awfully nice to everybody else and just rough with Becky but if you put such a line in, it'd have been more credible if we'd had seen Steven being warm towards or supportive of other citizens of the town). I'll also say that I found Jones's performance too mannered.

Roger Ryan

#1233 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:32 pm

Finch wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:49 pm
I agree that didn't seem to be backed up by any other scenes in the season from what I can remember (I guess Lynch and Frost's implication being that Steven was awfully nice to everybody else and just rough with Becky but if you put such a line in, it'd have been more credible if we'd had seen Steven being warm towards or supportive of other citizens of the town). I'll also say that I found Jones's performance too mannered.
The line is meant to be ironically humorous, right? Apart from Richard Horne (and, yes, Jay Aaseng's "Drunk"), Steven Burnett is the most disagreeable character in The Return; obnoxious, incompetent, and abusive throughout the scenes he's featured in. I saw the adoration he receives from Becky, Gersten, and others to be Lynch's humorously exaggerated take on co-dependency and bad choices (similar to how Shelly has seemingly dumped Bobby now that he is a respectable lawman to carry on with the reprehensible "Red").

Finch

#1234 Post by Finch » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Yes, I can buy that interpretation. Wasn't it Shelley who says the line? Been a while since I've dived into The Return (I regularly watch Parts 8 and 18 though).

Robin Davies

#1235 Post by Robin Davies » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:10 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:32 pm
The line is meant to be ironically humorous, right?.
Shelly says "You guys, my daughter is with the wrong guy," to which Jessica replies"Are you kidding? Everybody loves Steven."
I can't see any trace of irony in her delivery.

flyonthewall2983

#1236 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:28 pm

Robin Davies wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:20 pm
This didn't seem to be a big mystery to me. Gersten and to a lesser extent Becky are nearly full-blown junkies and Steven's the one guy they can relate to. It's a very typical and nearly cliche blue-collar thing I've seen with my own eyes at times. It gets almost comical when we see Shelly throw herself on the hood of the car.

Getting back to the scene in question, what's more disturbing about it to me is we don't see the aftermath because it could quite clearly tear at Shelly and Robert the same way Laura Palmer's death did to her own parents at the beginning of the series.

Robin Davies

#1237 Post by Robin Davies » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:06 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:28 pm
Robin Davies wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:20 pm
This didn't seem to be a big mystery to me. Gersten and to a lesser extent Becky are nearly full-blown junkies and Steven's the one guy they can relate to. It's a very typical and nearly cliche blue-collar thing I've seen with my own eyes at times.
Good point, but Jessica doesn't seem to be a junkie and she says "everybody loves Steven". And Becky is pretty annoyed when she finds that Steven has used up a lot of their coke to relieve the stress of his catastrophic job interview.