Escape at Dannemora

Discuss TV shows old and new.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Escape at Dannemora

#1 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:06 pm

Well, HBO GO was down the night the new season of True Detective premiered, so LQ and I got desperate and thought "maybe the people who've been raving about Escape at Dannemora aren't kidding?" So then we've watched over half of it, and I came here to see all the other raves and... nothing?! Really?! I'm disappointed in each and every one of you. For television, this is an absolute tour de force - easily Ben Stiller's best directing work, big, Coen-esque performances from the likes of Benicio del Toro, Patricia Arquette (doing something nakedly brave here, moreso than she ever has and that's saying something), Paul Dano, David Morse... and one unknown (to me) standout who has been breaking my heart in pieces at this point in the series, Eric Lange as Arquette's well meaning but mostly unappealing husband. His efforts to make his wife turn her attention back toward their modest life are beautifully realized, and provide harsh contrast to the reality of what Arquette's character has been plotting.

Knowing what's coming because this is based on a very recent true story doesn't lessen the impact of the whole enterprise any, this is a really excellent piece of work (we're through 4 episodes, so unless it really comes off the rails for the final 3, I feel confident saying that). Whether your HBO is up and running or not, go watch this instead, True Detective will be there for you and I when we get back.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Escape at Dannemora

#2 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 pm

I came here to see all the other raves and... nothing?! Really?! I'm disappointed in each and every one of you.
easily Ben Stiller's best directing work, big, Coen-esque performances
I mean, you're making the cheap shots so easy

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:54 am

Not sure what you mean exactly, as I was kidding in the first part you quoted, and the second part is a given but remains very true in this case. He might be aping the Coens in this series but it's likely that anything set in a rural snowy northern U.S. town is going to be subject to that sort of comparison, directly or indirectly

Daneurism

#4 Post by Daneurism » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:46 pm

On episode 7. Can't believe how good this is. The level of character building in this is particularly impressive
SpoilerShow
(That murder sequence...good lord. That's gotta be among the most disturbing ever filmed)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#5 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:34 pm

Finished this up last night and while I felt that the final episode was overlong and could have stood to tighten things up (100 minutes, I think, with much of that being the escapees running around the woods), this series is a triumph and right around the lower bracket of my top 10 films of 2018 if we're going by the miniseries = film metric that we've begun to adopt around here. Definitely the best television/streaming serial I've seen since Twin Peaks: The Return, and a great resume for Stiller as a director for hire for more serious material. The whole thing made me feel so existentially itchy, with so much pain for the people involved on all sides, and has a rich sub-textual despair that just oozes out of it. The mere mention in the finale of the Chinese restaurant that Joyce and Lyle ate at in the 5th episode, when Lyle reveals through tears that he knew Joyce was cheating on him "when she started ordering off the diet menu at King's Wok," was the final straw in a series of moments with that character in particular that managed to just shatter my heart into pieces. Such a sincerely realized picture of people who are trapped, by geography, their own limitations by no fault of their own, and of course their own mistakes.

Special notice for how great Episode 6 is: where it comes in the story is essential to it being told completely and correctly, and it colors everything that follows in how ruthlessly and straightforwardly it's presented, as Daneurism just stated. LQ and I took the train (and bus, when our train connection was missed on the way up) through rural NY to Montreal this past weekend, and it's hard to overstate how much Stiller got the small details of the desolation and desperation of that area correct.

Hey TV, if you're listening: More of this sort of longform, dramatized true crime storytelling, please!

knives

#6 Post by knives » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:24 pm

mfunk9786 wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:34 pm

Hey TV, if you're listening: More of this sort of longform, dramatized true crime storytelling, please!
True Detective season 4 staring Mel Gibson and Kevin Spacey just got ordered for you. :P

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#7 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:31 pm

Wait, is someone on this series stained in some way that I'm not aware of? Or am I just missing your joke?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:33 pm

Big woosh on your part there. He's just doing like a genie would and granting the letter but not the spirit of your wish

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#9 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:33 pm

Ah, a monkey's paw scenario! Hell, you might be surprised at how much I'd want to see that

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:34 pm

I mean, that upcoming Gibson movie with Vince Vaughn is like 2/3 there

connor

#11 Post by connor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:38 pm

Is there any way for non-Showtime subscribers to watch this?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#12 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:43 pm

Almost every streaming platform that carries Showtime, along with their own app, offers some measure of free trial (ranging from a few days to a full month), so I would recommend just signing up for one of those and making yourself a calendar reminder to cancel before you're charged real money. Of course, watching for-pay content for free isn't a great way to support that content blah blah blah, but yeah there you go

MongooseCmr

#13 Post by MongooseCmr » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:32 pm

Boy, I wish I shared your enthusiasm for this mfunk, but I really not seeing it. I though this was a very good true crime story with a great first episode that's ultimately too linear to make ~9 hours of runtime work. By the time they've found the escape route in episode 3 the story just sort of plods along to it's inevitable end (I didn't see the final episode because the runtime seemed extravagant, but I know the story already.) I'm really not seeing the Coen comparisons at all.

I'm not convinced of the performances either. Arquette is good, but watching this just after Olivia Colman plays a similarly emotionally needy, mentally unwell older woman letting herself be abused in order to feel wanted she doesn't completely hold up. The way she swings from aloof to seductress, or from a willing participant in their scheme to having a petulant nervous breakdown when a superior talks to her doesn't come across as a fully embodied or written character, or at least not someone registering as complex. It's a bit of a mess. The actor playing her husband is going so broad as a slack jawed mouth breather that it verges on parodying a person with mental disabilities. I like Dano a lot though.