True Detective

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Mr Sausage

Re: True Detective

#76 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 pm

She has some good points, but I have a hard time getting behind them because it feels like she's trying to weigh the pieces in her favour. Eg.:
and bro-bonding over “crazy pussy,”
That scene is the opposite of bonding. Rust keeps shutting down Marty's attempt to talk that one through. The two characters don't really bond at all during the show, besides maybe the occasional grudging respect from Marty towards Cohle. The phrase 'bro-bonding' isn't merely inaccurate, it's using rhetoric to refigure the scene. I suspect the writer's only problem is the phrase she quotes--which she is right to dislike--and she is misrepresenting the scene in which it's said in order to make the show seem like it's embodying the attitude that uttered it.
Yet the betrayal has no weight, since the love triangle is missing a side.
The weight of the betrayal lies in the fact that it isn't a love triangle: Maggie uses Cohle, brazenly and selfishly, without caring what it does to his life or his partnership with Marty, so she can wound Hart so badly that the marriage becomes unsalvagable, presumably because she doesn't feel like she can get out of it any other way. I've never seen it done that way (outside of Heat, but there was something cooly intellectual about that). That Maggie can't stop apologizing and thanking Rust all at the same time was pitiable and offputting. I both felt for her and didn't. That emotional complexity is lost in the writer's account of the episode. It's weird for a writer to earlier criticize a show for what she feels are genre cliches, then later complain that it doesn't commit to a cliche.

She may have a point about other things. There are no female characters as well developed as the two leads, tho' I think Maggie is more rounded and has more interiority than the writer suggests--especially since she calls the men out on their macho bullshit twice, and incisively at that (in addition to Hart's own shitty behaviour being shown up frequently, like his elaborate bullshit justification for his cheating in one of the earlier episodes). The nudity is exclusively from buxom women (including strippers in the background at one point), that is true. Cohle's machoness is fetishized, I agree, tho' I suspect this is purposeful given that Pizzolatto has been vocal about the show being aware of its own genre.

So yeah, I don't know what to think of that piece. It addresses real problems, but never substantially, and it feels like her irritation is driving her rhetoric, so many of her descriptions of the show feel superficial or inaccurate.

Andre Jurieu

#77 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:53 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:...The nudity is exclusively from buxom women (including strippers in the background at one point), that is true...
Actually, last night's episode included a brief moment of nudity from McConaughey, during the interaction between Rust and Maggie. However, the show certainly didn't linger as long on McConaughey as they did on Lili Simmons (or Alexandra Daddario in the earlier episodes).

John Cope

#78 Post by John Cope » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:02 pm

I just get really sick in general of any attempt at acknowledging or integrating philosophical dimensions and positions being denigrated as "dorm-room deep talk". We hear that kind of disparagement all the time and it always grates because it never seems to me like anything other than dismissive contempt guised as some kind of above it all sophistication. Similarly reducing the events to "mere symbols of the universe’s unspeakable horror" is a profoundly blinkered sort of indictment as there's nothing "mere" about that. I actually think the presiding philosophy we get from True Detective is in fact delimited by nature but that's a far cry from dismissing it as not substantive.

warren oates

#79 Post by warren oates » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:08 pm

Essentially her ASSessment is this: too much T&A. And I don't exactly disagree. But I think she's laying the blame at the wrong door. HBO and cable networks in general are known to specifically pressure showrunners to justify the exclusivity and cableness of their shows by amping up the sexual content. For the purposes of the narrative, we do need to see Marty screwing around. We certainly don't need to see all the ladyparts of the women he's doing it with. But we are seeing them, and it's not because the show is secretly crassly bro-tastic behind a thin veneer of smarts. It's almost certainly because that was a part of what HBO wanted and the writer had no real reason to object.

Btw, I agree with Andre about last night's episode, and about the most intriguing detail. It was so easy to love the show while it was asking questions. Now that we're starting to get more answers it's a little messier. I didn't particularly care for the standard police procedural "you're detecting too zealously!" dressing down in the boss's office. And my viewing companion ticked off a number of little details that seem a bit sloppy:
SpoilerShow
So Cohle really didn't fix his truck's rear brake light for 10 years? It just seems a little unrealistic, as if he wouldn't have been stopped multiple times by cops and as if that alone wouldn't have prompted him to fix it. Was anyone really sexting in 2002? Or is it just that dirty-martini drinking T-mobile girls were way ahead of the curve? Speaking of which, did anyone believe that this former trailer park prostitute had actually saved her anal virginity for Marty? Or that he'd believe she did?

Mr Sausage

#80 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:Actually, last night's episode included a brief moment of nudity from McConaughey, during the interaction between Rust and Maggie. However, the show certainly didn't linger as long on McConaughey as they did on Lili Simmons (or Alexandra Daddario in the earlier episodes).
Sorry, should've said "the female nudity."
SpoilerShow
warren oates wrote:So Cohle really didn't fix his truck's rear brake light for 10 years? It just seems a little unrealistic, as if he wouldn't have been stopped multiple times by cops and as if that alone wouldn't have prompted him to fix it.
I don't know if this makes a difference, but the light itself still worked. It was just coloured plastic on the outside that was broken.
warren oates wrote:Was anyone really sexting in 2002?
Yes. People have been doing it since it was possible to do it. It's not a big mental leap from "hey, I can send pictures" to "hey, I can send dirty pictures."

EddieLarkin

#81 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:35 pm

A contrasting view on the brutality against women and use of female nudity in the show.
warren oates wrote:
SpoilerShow
So Cohle really didn't fix his truck's rear brake light for 10 years? It just seems a little unrealistic, as if he wouldn't have been stopped multiple times by cops and as if that alone wouldn't have prompted him to fix it.
SpoilerShow
Perhaps he has had the truck in storage for the past 10 years. After all, we have no idea where he was or exactly what he was doing during this period.

Andre Jurieu

#82 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:40 pm

I had some of the same questions as warren. However, even though it's not that realistic, I actually liked the fact that
SpoilerShow
Cohle refused to make the necessary repairs as on his truck
as it coveys how stubborn he is about even trivial things and how consumed he is by his work to bother with minor aspects of his daily life. I figured
SpoilerShow
if he ever was stopped, he would just play the cop card, even though he was universally despised within the department.
I did enjoy the fact that Cohle cannot resist the temptation to antagonize Marty during their impromptu reunion, using the most minor trappings of conventional male relationships, even after all this time has passed.

Plus, however unrealistic all the events between Marty and Beth were, they were all kind of worth it to
SpoilerShow
have that shot of a utterly disheveled Marty being referred to as a human tampon by his boss. That's gold, Pizzolatto! Gold!

The depiction of women has been rather troublesome throughout the show, but I find that (like Mad Men) it's a show that is aware of how awful the women within the narrative are being treated and that it's asking the audience to comprehend the inherent hypocrisy of the narrative events, the behavior of some of its characters, and the depictions of police and their work-life within the genre. The most obvious case is with Marty's inability to sustain any sort of meaningful and stable relationship with the women in his life, simply due to his conflicting methods of interaction and treatment of women - both young and older. It's a sad statement on the type of treatment that's accepted within this lifestyle and the type of behavior that considered to be too extreme to be tolerable.

ArchCarrier

#83 Post by ArchCarrier » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 pm

But isn't the lack of well-developed female characters exactly the point of the show? We see everything (presumably) through the eyes of two men whose understanding and treatment of women is not exactly well-developed, either. Like Marty's daughter says in episode 5, 'Who told you to understand? Why would you?'

warren oates

#84 Post by warren oates » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 pm

I like Eddie's answer about the tail light best, because it makes the show smarter. I don't think you can really play the cop card if you don't have your badge anymore and you look progressively more like a dirty hippie at each traffic stop. And, frankly, just based on my own personal experience in another state (and I'm meticulous about basic auto maintenance) as well as a recent flu-induced binge watching of Cops, I'd say he's bound to get stopped multiple times over a decade even with a working bulb (the light still doesn't actually work to warn other drivers you're slowing or stopping because it's not red). Because, regardless of why they say they're doing it, cops who pull you over for a broken light aren't chiefly concerned with your safety on the road, they're taking advantage of a airtight legal pretext to fish around for other bigger crimes, most often drugs and DWI. So I can't imagine that if Cohle's kept his truck and driven it around much he wouldn't just have been annoyed into fixing the light.

Andre Jurieu

#85 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:11 pm

Again, I just thought it was a minor detail that's just meant to convey something about the character. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief on that detail within a show that's heavily implying that the governor of a southern state and his friends are hunting/sacrificing/abusing society's forgotten folks for enjoyment.

warren oates

#86 Post by warren oates » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:51 pm

Right, but even in his "more nihilistic than he was before, because seen far too much" present state of drunken disheveledness, Cohle's pretty canny about protecting himself and still places a premium on being a few steps ahead of everyone else. Which feels like a much more important character trait, and one that would long ago have made him take care of that light so as not to draw any unwanted attention. It's a small point, like you say, but one that might* undermine a tiny bit of what's been best about the show so far -- how it's so invested in being true to its lead characters.

Much easier to believe that the governor is a pagan priest/sex criminal/serial murderer.

*unless Eddie's right and the truck's been in storage.

Andre Jurieu

#87 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Well, Rust is a guy who hasn't even bought much furniture and who seems to strip life down to its essentials, so I think he's inclined to not worry too much about something that can only result in annoyance. I guess my perspective is that he's not really a few steps ahead so much as he's far more prepared when things get rough. If he gets stopped and can't use his background as a cop, as long as the truck is clean, what does he really care? He pays a fine if necessary and moves on. I doubt the powers-that-be are too concerned with his unofficial investigations, considering how marginalized and powerless he has become over time. Plus, he's kept out of sight for years now, so I assumed he was using a different identity, in a different state, with different possessions. I just assumed he's been driving around the old truck in the past couple of years, since turning up again.

Roger Ryan

#88 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:25 pm

warren oates wrote:
SpoilerShow
...Speaking of which, did anyone believe that this former trailer park prostitute had actually saved her anal virginity for Marty? Or that he'd believe she did?
I fully believe Beth is lying to Hart...and Hart knows it. His exasperated reaction to her come on (as if he's not sure how to continue to play this game) was a highlight of the episode for me!

warren oates

#89 Post by warren oates » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Agree with Roger Ryan about Marty. I think it's definitely better that they both know it's a lie and he still can't resist her temptation.

To Andre: But it wouldn't only result in annoyance. I suppose I was understating that. For a civillian who looks like he does -- and drinks (and perhaps drugs) like we know he does, the possibility of multiple traffic stops over a decade (or even within a year) just seems unnecessarily risky. That kind of basic freedom of movement and ability to pass under the radar strikes me as way less optional for Cohle than furniture for an apartment he hardly lives in himself and almost never brings anyone else back to. And I don't believe you can pay a fine and move on, at least not in the state where I've gotten such a ticket, because there's no real fine as there is with other traffic violations -- just a lower processing fee -- as long as you actually fix your light and get an officer of the law to sign off on the repair. If I hadn't taken care of my last such ticket in a timely manner, though, there would have been a bench warrant for my arrest.

So, unless Cohle really just recently got the truck back, I don't think this detail is about competing character traits. I'd say it's more about showy writing and/or directing linking this image across time, momentarily disregarding the otherwise pretty strong and consistent writing for character.

feihong

#90 Post by feihong » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:36 pm

Nussbaum's article is interesting to me, but I think that it implies a larger question about the attitudes displayed in the show--not just against women, but against Louisiana. In other words, this profoundly negative show is critical of everything it offers us. It's women may be underdeveloped, but that seems more a symptom of an oppressive society, full of backwards attitudes and morals (we get a lot of unreconstructed Lousiana good ol' boy ethics out of Hart during the interview segments), than it does a deliberate looking-away from the women who could be part of the story.

Meanwhile, the detectives we spend our time with aren't awesome guys male-bonding and being funny; they spend most of their time tearing one another apart verbally or doing things that they'll regret later--like maybe in the next scene. These guys are full of unreconstructed mentalities and qualities that are far from admirable. Beyond that, the detectives move through a sludge-colored version of hell in their quest for closure of murder cases. The majority of the other characters in the story are bystanders who watch the passage of the detectives with a gloomy resignation. A constant foreboding hangs in the air in setting after setting. The "bunny farm" of the second episode boasts a stifling, constrictive atmosphere of genuine misery. Bars look like dangerous stages for illicit action--even when the detectives and the women in their lives are out for a good time (not coincidentally, no one has a good time on their dates for very long). And there are whole neighborhoods in the later episodes that appear to be armed to the teeth and militantly reactionary--parts of this story's Louisiana appear to be warzones full of armed antagonists, analogous to those similar spaces in Iraq or Afghanistan. So nothing about the show's Lousiana is too great to begin with, and the attitudes produced in that setting towards women seem to lead to their marginalization. Hart's frustrated elder daughter, for instance, seems to be a genuine victim of so many backwards attitudes inherent in the place they live. I guess I see the marginalization of women in the story as an inherent part of the state of life in the setting, and a part of the setting of which the show is fairly critical.

warren oates

#91 Post by warren oates » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:43 pm

But if you look at it like that feihong aren't you really just calling into question the entirety of crime fiction always and everywhere? Of course we're seeing the lurid side of life, because that's the nature and basis of the genre. You could always watch something like Treme if you want to see different images of the state. But don't watch David Simon's other show, a crime show called The Wire, expecting to see anything but the gloomiest aspects of life in Bodymore Murderland.

Andre Jurieu

#92 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:23 pm

warren oates wrote:For a civillian who looks like he does -- and drinks (and perhaps drugs) like we know he does...
I don't think this is a certainty. I thought the investigating officers (can't remember if it was Papanina or Gilbough) have called into question whether Cohle's current altered state and everyday inebriation are authentic or just a cover to avoid further scrutiny of his actions since coming back onto the grid.
If I hadn't taken care of my last such ticket in a timely manner, though, there would have been a bench warrant for my arrest.
I just think it's too trivial an arrest within the grand scheme of things, especially if Cohle is as convincing within the moment as he has been in other circumstances. Again, I'm willing the suspend my disbelief on this point because the image signifies much more within the narrative than the reality of the situation.
So, unless Cohle really just recently got the truck back, I don't think this detail is about competing character traits. I'd say it's more about showy writing and/or directing linking this image across time, momentarily disregarding the otherwise pretty strong and consistent writing for character.
Yeah, I guess I just see the image as performing both aspects simultaneously. It conveys a great deal about Cohle, whether in terms of the logistics he's lived under for the past decade (or so), as well as reinforcing some of his basic character traits (stubbornness, obsession to the point of neglect, and everlasting resentment), while also serving as a physical representation of the established and enduring tension between our central characters (which really was the point of last night's concluding scene), as well as to continue dwelling on the overall derelict conditions of the surrounding environment that spawned these traumatic events. At this point, the meaning conveyed by the image matters more to me than any logistical details that I would have to work out about the time in between eras.
But if you look at it like that ... aren't you really just calling into question the entirety of crime fiction always and everywhere? Of course we're seeing the lurid side of life, because that's the nature and basis of the genre.
Isn't that one of the basic points that the genre is attempting to convey to its audience? Isn't Simon interested in examining how Baltimore's environment serves as a catalyst to its suffocating issues with crime? Why would it be a bad thing for Pizzolatto to convey how the current condition of Louisiana gives rise to some of the lurid behavior and immoral actions performed by its denizens? Certainly Pizzolatto & Co. are concerned with precision within their chosen genre, but the narrative also seems to be concerned with larger topics as well.
EddieLarkin wrote:A contrasting view on the brutality against women and use of female nudity in the show.
Willa Paskin wrote:The show presents Marty’s women as kinky and crazed and seems overly sympathetic to Marty’s skewed view of them.
Paskin seems more willing to explore what the show's creators are trying to accomplish, but I'm not sure I agree with that statement. I really never get the sense that the show ever presents Marty's viewpoint to be correct, or attempts to make it sympathetic on any level other than the fact that he's incapable of functioning. Also, other than Beth's bold requests in last night's episode, I never got the sense that Marty's women are kinky. I also don't think Lisa's (Daddario) reaction to Marty's abusive behavior was all that crazed. Marty is literally harassing her and abusing people within her life, and she cannot approach the authorities about his actions, so she takes action in one of the only possible methods left.

feihong

#93 Post by feihong » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:47 pm

warren oates wrote:But if you look at it like that feihong aren't you really just calling into question the entirety of crime fiction always and everywhere? Of course we're seeing the lurid side of life, because that's the nature and basis of the genre. You could always watch something like Treme if you want to see different images of the state. But don't watch David Simon's other show, a crime show called The Wire, expecting to see anything but the gloomiest aspects of life in Bodymore Murderland.
There's definitely a sense in a a lot of crime fiction of the setting being a sort of existential sump--from "M" to "Batman," the sense of the city as a nihilistic state of mind is a pervasive idea. But I would argue that the cityspace in "The Wire" is much less an interior mindscape reflecting the characters own malaise than it is a kind of crucible of civic action. "The Wire" is a show where people are constantly taking individual, sometimes radical action in order to improve futures for communities and people. These experiments often work in unorthodox ways--like Bunny Colvin's Hamsterdam--only to be mired in bureaucratic authority, graft, corruption, etc. But the attempts spring up again and again. The atmosphere that exists in a show like "The Wire" is electric with the possibility or radical action, and the players in that drama are constantly risking their lives and futures to try and galvanize that potential. In that sense, the background of a show like "The Wire" is more closer to what we see in the noir pictures less infused with European existentialist dread--closer to pictures like "Call Northside 777," or "The Crimson Kimono"--pictures where the city is not an enclosing entity, trapping people in a fate, but rather a crucible of dynamic action, where attention and interest can discover possibility and sound out potential. These pictures end with a very tough sense of wrong being viable, but without the fatalism of the more expressionist-influenced noir movies. We feel that the characters at the end of these films have potential, to change their lives. In "M," we feel more that this place in which we all live is a kind of prison, where the fates conspire to trap and isolate and identify individuals apart from the norm. No character in "The Wire" is beyond our understanding--even the psychopath, Marlowe, has a comprehensive psychology which gets ultimately exposed. In much of the more nihilistic noir--influenced more strongly by European expressionism--there are people whose motives are beyond what we understand. Beckert in "M" is beyond us--beyond his own understanding. And "True Detective" is filled with characters whose motives we have no ability to access.

"True Detective" so far is much more in the nihilistic space carved out by pictures like "M." The city in "M" is segmented in ways that define people's lives--and to a large extent, the characters in "True Detective" seem likewise trapped in their spaces. Or the characters change--slowly, over long periods of time--but retain their most wayward aspects. But the atmosphere of Louisiana backwoods attitudes is thick like sludge over the show (while Cohle's anti-establishment tirades go so far over-the-top as to provide an equally extreme alternative). The women in the story do seem constrained to the roles of mute watchers (of TV, of men's misdeeds) and sexual objects, but the men are likewise restricted to myopic Southern "good 'ol boys" filled with unexamined prejudices and nonconformists so radical as to be thoroughly criminal in their basic identities (satanist meth-cookers, racist biker outlaws, and one detective who quotes Kierkegaard to anyone who'll listen and who could very well be a serial killer). And the space these people navigate seems to be a Lousiana of the mind--withered and decaying, with the remnants of industry and civilization being reclaimed back into the wilderness. The setting is gray all of the time--to reflect the heavy pressure under which our characters live, the difficulty inherent in simply existing in this space--the spaces filmed are either broad and deserted (to isolate the characters as lost seekers) or tight and restricted (like the lockups where the detectives question suspects, the homes full of television, guilt and shame, and the police station full of hovering, critical voyeurs). Each setting is thick with oppressive atmosphere, and every scene of supposedly "normal" life in the region is turned into an incident of repressive values keeping people constrained (the early scene in which the Harts try to convince their daughter that it's "wrong" to draw pictures of sexual intercourse, or the way Marty is able to dodge his former girlfriend's plea for respect by ducking into an elevator full of professional men). It seems to me part of a pervasively pessimistic attitude which the show presents--the idea that these figures are trapped and pressurized within their environment. So I think that we don't see positive views of women in the show for the reason that none of the comprehensive viewpoints that the show takes on are positive--we're not really in Louisiana per se, but rather, a Louisiana that lives inside of characters, dominating them. It's a hellhole because our characters can't see a way in that setting to put their lives right.

That's definitely part and parcel of the genre in which the show operates. I'm not really complaining about it; it just seems a little misplaced to me to mount a critique of the show's treatment of women, when the show's treatment of everyone is so pessimistic. The women in the show don't have stronger characters because the men who are at the center of the show are mired in chauvinist thinking. We see the women in the show as much as our detectives see them, and in the same way the detectives see them. If the way they see the women is more exploitative than understanding, isn't that true to the people we're dealing with, and the general perspective of the show (whose premise centers around a particularly unknowable part of human nature)?

Andre Jurieu

#94 Post by Andre Jurieu » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:41 pm

Molly Lambert at Grantland provides another perspective on True Detective's treatment of women, which includes this great line:
MollyLambert wrote:Rust may have some compelling arguments that forgiveness is just a byproduct of forgetfulness and that time is secretly a pizza...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#95 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:52 pm

MollyLambert wrote:A show that takes up misogyny as one of its main subjects isn’t necessarily misogynistic. The difference between portraying something and endorsing it is often lost by the time it passes through the cathode ray tubes into a fandom. Don Draper, Walter White, Tony Soprano, and the other difficult men of TV’s latest golden age were not intended to be role models. Their seductiveness as antiheroes is corrosive.
Ding ding ding. I think the weakest argument one can make about the depiction of misogyny in something like True Detective or Mad Men (or The Wolf of Wall Street, for that matter) is that depiction = endorsement.

oh yeah

#96 Post by oh yeah » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:26 pm

Like most others here, I am really taken with the show and have been pretty much since episode one. I suppose I found it a bit generic in the very beginning, as if someone had created a TV vending machine and pressed the "HBO drama series" button, but all those familiar signifiers are in fact genuine and praiseworthy and not just empty imitations. Of course, the acting is extraordinary by the two leads, but I think the show's most outstanding feature is its meditative yet disquieting, fluid yet patient visual and aural aesthetic. Similar to Sundance's Rectify (another terrific new show), TD is obviously Malick-inspired, but it's quite a bit more muscular and grounded in its approach, and less overtly poised at the transcendental. This feeling of restraint, though, is precisely what's so hypnotic about it. The show also unlocks in me a genuine sense of mystery and enchantment that I haven't felt in a series since the superb and underrated Carnivale. Like that series, TD has a marvelously ambiguous storytelling style that's extremely refreshing -- even now, when the "HBO drama aesthetic" is increasingly being copied by networks like AMC (though usually only partially).

Polybius

#97 Post by Polybius » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:48 am

oh yeah wrote:the superb and underrated Carnivale.
Just have to take a second and acknowledge (and endorse) this mention.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#98 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:48 am

Amen. Carnivale is still probably the best show in HBO history outside of The Sopranos (or would be if it had the opportunity to run for four more seasons)

Andre Jurieu

#99 Post by Andre Jurieu » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Pizzolatto hints that Season 2 might include a female protagonist.

flyonthewall2983

#100 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:08 am

Good episode tonight. Marty and Rust back on the same page was damn cool, especially when they're just talking like two old friends, not partners. The rest of it was quite chilling. Can't wait (but simultaneously dread, because that will be it) for the finale.