Hannibal

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Movie-Brat

Re: Hannibal

#101 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:33 pm

SpoilerShow
Me neither. I feel sorry for Dr. Chilton. Judging by the promo for the next episode, it should be interesting as to how the tables will be turned and what prompted Jack Crawford to try to kick Hannibal's ass.

flyonthewall2983

#102 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:10 am

Jeremy Davies was heartbreaking last night.

Movie-Brat

#103 Post by Movie-Brat » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:44 pm

That and the most WTF murders in the show I've seen thus far. I mean, you could argue all the other ones are but the thinking behind it and the visuals is what pushes that to really WTF territory.

Andre Jurieu

#104 Post by Andre Jurieu » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:31 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Jeremy Davies was heartbreaking last night.
In isolation, Davies performance might have been moving, but I'm kind of getting tired of him taking these types of roles. It's gotten to the point that whenever I see him on screen, I can basically just assume that his character is psychologically fragile and the only question is whether or not he's so mentally broken that he would harm or betray others. I guess that means this was an example of apt casting, but it's also incredibly boring, especially since Davies appears to have some talent, but his choice in roles seems to minimize his range to the point that he becomes bland. It's kind of the same way I feel whenever Paul Dano pops up in a role, except that with Dano you can always just assume that he's going to be far more cruel or willing to be immoral.

flyonthewall2983

#105 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:05 pm

I was surprised at how frail his character was actually. I figured it would have been more like an out-and-out psychopath like he's done before a few times.

flyonthewall2983

#106 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:20 pm

NBC announced a spike in ratings with last week's episode, with almost 3 million viewers watching.

Movie-Brat

#107 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Well, that episode certainly had the most brutal killings I've seen. And this is from somebody who has watched the previous episodes.

Movie-Brat

#109 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri May 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Should NBC not renew it, perhaps it'll find a new home on USA?

flyonthewall2983

#110 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:13 pm

No way, too gory for them. It's probably going to wind up at Amazon, since they have the rights to the show that Netflix usually would.

Movie-Brat

#111 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri May 02, 2014 11:15 pm

I wish I could say AMC but that might not happen too.

I saw the latest episode, and I think the next episode's promo might have spoiled a lot. But I remembered who Margot's brother was as soon as the pigs motif was introduced.

And damn, I'm impressed the visuals of the kills never fail to impress.

flyonthewall2983

#112 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:16 pm

I think NBC will renew. Ratings picked up slightly, and it's incredibly cheap for them to show.

Movie-Brat

#113 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri May 02, 2014 11:33 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I think NBC will renew. Ratings picked up slightly, and it's incredibly cheap for them to show.
Think so? Just that I'm worried NBC will turn back on the show and that'd be very unfortunate.

flyonthewall2983

#114 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:48 pm

I don't really care, given that Bryan seems confident a third season will happen with or without them.

Movie-Brat

#115 Post by Movie-Brat » Sat May 03, 2014 12:00 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I don't really care, given that Bryan seems confident a third season will happen with or without them.
True. He has a good reason to be confident and as such, I'll be anticipating it when the news hits.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#116 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 03, 2014 12:11 am

This is the guy who ignored all signs that Pushing Daisies was going to be canceled mid-season and refused to adjust or plan for it until the actual last minute

flyonthewall2983

#117 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:19 pm

There are pretty different circumstances around this, no? NBC has less control over what happens to it than ABC did that show.

flyonthewall2983

#118 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri May 09, 2014 2:03 pm

NBC has renewed the show for it's third season.

Movie-Brat

#119 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri May 09, 2014 3:23 pm

He's not kidding.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/0 ... on/262405/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YES!

flyonthewall2983

#120 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat May 10, 2014 4:01 pm

Another stunner of an episode last night. Michael Pitt as Mason is a pleasant surprise in that it's him playing a character not so different in his ruthlessness and psychopathy, but the added dimension of being almost charming albeit in a completely twisted way. Mads' reactions to his demeanor during therapy were palpable.
SpoilerShow
Logically it felt impossible that Lounds had been killed, but the way it was played up until that important moment I had a gut feeling she really was dead and made me question if they had gone too far or not.

Movie-Brat

#121 Post by Movie-Brat » Sat May 10, 2014 5:18 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Another stunner of an episode last night. Michael Pitt as Mason is a pleasant surprise in that it's him playing a character not so different in his ruthlessness and psychopathy, but the added dimension of being almost charming albeit in a completely twisted way. Mads' reactions to his demeanor during therapy were palpable.
SpoilerShow
Logically it felt impossible that Lounds had been killed, but the way it was played up until that important moment I had a gut feeling she really was dead and made me question if they had gone too far or not.
SpoilerShow
They almost had me going there except I had a gut feeling she was in on Will's plan and wasn't really dead.
And concerning, as soon as Margot said, "[Mason]'s not good with children" I thought, "Uh-oh..." Because I knew who the character is.

Andre Jurieu

#122 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon May 12, 2014 11:16 am

I've been impressed with how they've handled the Vergers. Given his history as a cast member, making Pitt's scenes as Mason brief is really a smart move on the part of Fuller & Co. Plus casting Katharine Isabelle as Margot has been surprisingly effective, probably because her doll-like looks are actually a strength in the role rather than a distraction.

George Kaplan

#123 Post by George Kaplan » Wed May 14, 2014 7:28 pm

Unless this promo question is a clue, which I tend to doubt, it is further proof of how hopelessly illiterate everyone seems to have become. I mean, when every episode is titled with a foreign-langauage word for a food or food preparation you would think that the network could remember how to spell "dessert"!!!

I did enjoy the recent, fairly detailed lesson in the proper preparation and consumption of ortolans, and chuckled to myself, thinking that somewhere Gigi's Aunt Alicia was beaming with satisfaction.

Rumor has it that David Bowie, who was unavailable for the role due to scheduling conflict during Season 2, has been cast as Hannibal's uncle for Season 3.

I don't know if this has been brought up here yet, but apparently Episode 4 of Season 1, "ŒUF", directed by Peter Medak and featuring Molly Shannon, has not been aired in the U.S. because it was deemed too violent by the network. Presumably it's on the commercially released HV formats(?)

Lastly, because this show has become my favorite network series, and because I never had any particular attraction to or affection for any of the feature films featuring the character of Hannibal Lector (most, if not all, of which I saw upon initial release) I re-viewed Michael Mann's MANHUNTER and got a shockingly unpleasant reminder of why I never bit before now - Wow! is that a poorly written, slackly-paced, physically ugly and amateurish production! And then there is that score! For some years now I've lived with the vague mis-understanding that I had preferred it to the Demme film (and I like Demme - a lot! - just not that film) because it was somehow superior. This now seems to me that it cannot possibly be true...? Jonathan Demme has never made a film that bad, has he?
Last edited by George Kaplan on Wed May 14, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#124 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 14, 2014 7:33 pm

George Kaplan wrote:I don't know if this has been brought up here yet, but apparently Episode 4 of Season 1, "ŒUF", directed by Peter Medak and featuring Molly Shannon, has not been aired in the U.S. because it was deemed to violent by the network. Presumably it's on the commercially released HV formats(?)
It was set to air right after a school shooting (or some similar traumatic act of mass violence) and they bumped it and then put up a set of important clips from the ep on the NBC website so viewers wouldn't be lost with regards to the serial elements. I believe the episode is presented in whole on the Blu-ray/DVD

knives

#125 Post by knives » Wed May 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Yeah, it was post-Sandy Hook.