Boy Meets World

Discuss TV shows old and new.
willoneill

Boy Meets World

#1 Post by willoneill » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:45 am

Boys Meets World sequel in development, called Girl Meets World, about the pre-teen daughter of Cory and Topanga. I refuse to watch unless Rider Strong plays a vaguely creepy "uncle" Shawn.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: TV Shows in Development

#2 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:49 am

With "Grandpa" Feeny dropping in to do his laundry and inspire all

knives

#3 Post by knives » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Is Feeney still even alive?

Murdoch

#4 Post by Murdoch » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Yes

dx23

#5 Post by dx23 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:39 pm

I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to this. I always liked the Topanga/Corey relationship (smart, beautiful girl dating the normal looking curly haired guy). It always gave curly haired guys like me someone to look up to, especially in the 90's where everyone had that boyband looking hair.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#6 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:34 pm

But then it turned in college and she was the huge buzzkill who had him wrapped around her sausage finger

Professor Wagstaff

#7 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Most every character turned for the worst by college, though Topanga's transformation was particularly egregious. Her earlier incarnation as the offbeat, hippy-dippy girl was a highlight towards the beginning of the series because that kind of character would have been relegated to the best friend (or the best friend's girl) on any other program for another Winnie Cooper knockoff.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Boy Meets World

#8 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:11 pm

I am one of the few people who thought that the stuff with Cory's brother worked as silly comedy in the college years, his apartment with the redhead etc etc... but yes, mostly rubbish.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:13 pm

The ten foot tall redhead's the only thing I remember about the college years

dx23

#10 Post by dx23 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:13 pm

Yeah, almost every character in college was a parody of their previous incarnations. I hated that they change Topanga's dad from Peter Tork to 2 other actors (in the same penultimate season). Eric went from underachiever to bonehead, too, which just killed his character. Still, I always related to the character's in the earlier seasons (was the same age as Ben Savage, Rider and Danielle) and the show had something cute but not preachy as Full House. What worries me is that they are planning to put this on the Disney Channel, which has the worst tween sitcoms and their target market is girls 12 and under. This show would be a better fit on ABC Family or even for an ABC Friday lineup.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#11 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:19 pm

Do they still have some form of TGIF on that network?

dx23

#12 Post by dx23 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:35 pm

Not exactly, although they have what they call the ABC Comedy Friday with Last Man Standing (with Tim Allen), Malibu County and a reality show called Shark Tank. The last incarnation of TGIF was in 2005 with 8 Simple Rules, Complete Savages, Hope & Faith and Less Than Perfect. ABC Family has taken over the concept of showing more family friendly sitcoms, usually casting actors from the 90's like Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence.

So far, the main cast of Boy Meets World is alive and well, so I see no problem bringing them back for another run focusing on the next generation. Something else I remember cool about the show was the writers giving us one of the most prominent biracial couples in Shawn and Angela.

Murdoch

#13 Post by Murdoch » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:43 am

I haven't seen the show in ages, but my pre-teen self didn't hate the college years. From what I remember the writers tried to transition the show from a family-friendly comedy addressing the trials and tribulations of childhood to a Friends-like ensemble comedy, and I thought it was a good move since the type of family comedy that the show was at the beginning usually becomes moldy by the fifth season. Also, as much as I liked Feeny, his patriarchal moral authority figure wore on my early self by the time the cast reached the end of high school, so the college years were a bit of a relief. No idea if the later seasons hold up though.

Mr Sausage

#14 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:40 am

I know I watched this show this show pretty regularly as a kid, but I can't remember a single thing about it. Not even the character's names. Same with Saved by the Bell. I know for a fact I watched that regularly, but unlike apparently everyone else my age I can't even remember the character names let alone what happened in the episodes.

Why do I have such a terrible memory for old tv?

knives

#15 Post by knives » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 pm

More important things on the mind?

Murdoch

#16 Post by Murdoch » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:53 pm

More important than a decade-old sitcom starring a bunch of actors that can't get better work than a retooling of a decade-old sitcom? Impossible!

dx23

#17 Post by dx23 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:38 pm

Black Hat

#18 Post by Black Hat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:58 pm

Man to this day I can't believe how much I enjoyed this show. What a goldmine for unintentional comedy. Ben Savage was so bad. In a lot of ways Mr Feeny carried the show, he was hilarious.

domino harvey wrote:The ten foot tall redhead's the only thing I remember about the college years
I totally forgot about her, wonder what happened to her or for that matter the rest of the cast? I know Corey's brother has been in stuff but, that's about it. Motorcycle teacher dude also fell off the face of the earth. Think this is one of those shows where the guest stars went a lot farther than the stars, Rebecca Herbst is still on General Hospital I think.

dx23

#19 Post by dx23 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:40 am

And it was were Brittany Murphy got her start. There several other guest stars that have successful careers like Ethan Supple, Alex Desert, Adam Scott (Parks and Recreations star), Linda Cardellini, Larissa Oleynik, Mena Suvari, Kristanna Loken and Shane West. Danielle Fishell has had several shows and has kept herself busy and Will Freidle has found a lot of success as a voice actor in many animated series (he's been both Batman and Lion-O) but the rest of the main cast, except for William Daniels, disappeared.

RagingNoodles

#20 Post by RagingNoodles » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:59 am

During the over the top self-parody/movie spoofing era (high school/college days), Minkus coming back for the graduation episode was pretty great. Black Hat, they even joked about the motorcycle teacher that disappeared (his last episode, I believe was when he suffered a motorcycle accident, which I think was in the same episode where Shawn joined a cult?!?!).

I remember I saw some episodes in Spanish on a Mexican TV channel, and whoever dubbed Minkus was awesome.

I'm pretty sure I've watched every episode of this show when I was a kid. Guest star Vader (dad of Ethan Suplee's character) just got into an altercation recently, I wonder if he'll make another cameo in Girl Meets World.

Anyone here remember Shawn's high school girlfriend, Angela? Also, the episode where Fred Savage put the moves on Topanga was ridiculously bad.

dx23

#21 Post by dx23 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:40 am

RagingNoodles wrote:I'm pretty sure I've watched every episode of this show when I was a kid. Guest star Vader (dad of Ethan Suplee's character) just got into an altercation recently, I wonder if he'll make another cameo in Girl Meets World.

Anyone here remember Shawn's high school girlfriend, Angela?
Vader still pops up every now and then on WWE, so I could see him showing up again as well as Mick Foley, who had a one time appearance as his Mankind during one of the worst college days episode. Foley and Fishell actually became good friends after his appearance on the show.

I remember Angela and was surprised to find out she was in her 30's when she was playing a high school student. She was really young looking and very pretty and truthfully, she look younger than even Topanga and the red headed girl.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#22 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:48 am

dx23 wrote:And it was were Brittany Murphy got her start. There several other guest stars that have successful careers like Ethan Supple, Alex Desert, Adam Scott (Parks and Recreations star), Linda Cardellini, Larissa Oleynik, Mena Suvari, Kristanna Loken and Shane West. Danielle Fishell has had several shows and has kept herself busy and Will Freidle has found a lot of success as a voice actor in many animated series (he's been both Batman and Lion-O) but the rest of the main cast, except for William Daniels, disappeared.
Blake Sennett is [was?] in Rilo Kiley, and his underrated band The Elected, as well.

Black Hat

#23 Post by Black Hat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Shawn joining a cult! That brings me be back RN. I watched the episode Grantland posted last night and found myself laughing a lot, guess the show was funnier than I gave it credit for. Looked up everybody on imdb after and Angela looks unrecognizable, gone full on with the video vixen look. Was shocked to find out she was born in 1969! The tall red head's 17 imdb pics can pass for 5 different people, so weird.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#24 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Angela played Yolanda Johnson in 2009's Da' Booty Shop?! Can't believe I'm just finding out that was her

dx23

#25 Post by dx23 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:14 pm

I always remember the cult episode because the cult leader was Stiles from Teen Wolf.