Samurai Champloo (Shinichirō Watanabe, 2004-2005)

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Mr Sausage

Samurai Champloo (Shinichirō Watanabe, 2004-2005)

#1 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:39 am

DISCUSSION ENDS MONDAY, May 8th

What we're watching::

-All 26 episodes of the anime series Samurai Champloo, broadcast from May 20, 2004 – March 19, 2005.

How it works:

-Members new to the series can watch the episodes and record their thoughts and impressions as they go and comment on each other's posts to create a sense of a shared viewing experience. Old hands can comment on those posts or post their overall thoughts on the series.

-This discussion is spoiler-free. All spoilers should be spoiler tagged with a brief indication of what episodes are being discussed, eg.:
episodes 1 and 2Show
The show is best watched with a plate of Takoyaki and an Asahi dry.
The code for this is:

Code: Select all

[spoiler="episodes 1 and 2"]text[/spoiler]

therewillbeblus

Re: Samurai Champloo (Shinichirō Watanabe, 2004-2005)

#2 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:12 am

LB tells me I watched this Spring of last year, so I’m probably not going to revisit and participate too much unless those nominating/voting for it have a pitch for why it’s ripe for discussion, or discussion questions that would give another watch an entirely new perspective to consider. My impressions from memory are that it’s often funny, fun, the action scenes are really impressive, and mini-story arcs can be somewhat moving, but also pretty inconsistent as it moves along. I’m at a loss for anything more specific to say

beamish14

#3 Post by beamish14 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:23 am

Yoko Kanno’s music is so gorgeous. I’m anxious to rewatch and look for parallels between it and Cowboy Bebop

Mr Sausage

#4 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:37 am

I’m going to try to participate, but I doubt I’ll do an episode-by-episode reaction. I’ll probably do it more in chunks. If anyone can give a breakdown of episodes that go together or form individual sections, that’d be helpful.

Mr Sausage

#5 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:38 pm

I watched the first episode. Firstly: I keep wanting to call this Samurai Shampoo. The episode was fun. It reminded me of Cowboy Bebop with its musical rhythms, casual violence, and sense of laid-back cool. It has a classic set up: a wild reckless guy, a type-A guy, and the girl who keeps them together. Should be fun, but can't say it promises anything exceptional. I'm probably going to pick away at episodes and comment on this or that one if it seems especially interesting.

feihong

#6 Post by feihong » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:39 am

Episode One: Tempestuous Temperaments

All I remember of this show from my initial viewing is the episode in the poppy fields where they're all tripping balls and a few nice-looking shots in the final episode, which I seem to recall made me feel some feeling of some kind. I mean, I know all the basic parameters of the story; I just don't remember the actual episodes.

Watching the first one again for this, I seem to recall why: a lot of the episode storylines were, like this one, deliberately casual, more like encounters than stories with really deliberate architecture to them. And the overarching narrative elements (who these characters are, what's the deal with the sunflower samurai) are kept very vague for most of the runtime. I remember the two samurai Mugen and Jin getting the lion's share of the interesting moments, and the girl (Fuu) getting short shrift. I remember it trying to follow the drift of Cowboy Bebop fairly precisely, save for the addition of a more deliberate journey driving the story. Still, based on this first episode, that journey doesn't have much urgency––and so the feel if close to Bebop. We watch these oddball losers fumble their way around the margins of a society with some very palpable inequalities going on. We see them struggle to keep their heads above water, in spite of the ways they excel (little comment is made on how these people come to excel, or to be motivated to do it, or what they expect to get out of it––nor is there much explanation of the figures who seem less capable of excelling––like Fuu, like Faye Valentine, victims struggling to master hard fates handed to them without the benefit of extraordinary fighting prowess or special backgrounds in combat excellence).

On first watch, I didn't appreciate all the indicators of "remixing" we see throughout the episode. But this time the fast-winding to present day really caught my eye. I feel like this is a clear indication to think of the events we're seeing as being set in the present-day, making later anachronisms––like the sh*thead failson of the local lord having frosted hair, and the remixed cross-cutting of the flashbacks of Jin and Mugen fighting their way to encounter one another, like the hip-hop hypemen in later episodes––cut up remnants reminding us that this is the approach. I'm reminded of the way Miyamoto Musashi's "Book of Five Rings" was treated in the 80s––with a photo and title implying some link between the modern-day businessman and the samurai of the past.

https://img.thriftbooks.com/api/images/ ... 62ee6b.jpg

Question being, I suppose, how far are we supposed to take this analogy? To what degree are we meant to see the feudal principalities in comparison or contrast to our own world? Who do Jin and Mugen and Fuu represent in this analogy? As I recall, the later episodes frequently reference
SpoilerShow
Admiral Perry's black ships.
Is the series some sort of analogy for
SpoilerShow
foreign exploitation?
Will the show continue to honor this suggestion of contemporaneous analogy, or is it going to fall back into the world of the past without pushing this idea any farther?

I don't really remember any of that, so I suppose it will be interesting to see if these suggestions of a direction develop at all. I just remember these characters bumming around for episode upon episode, and I recall not feeling like the revelation of the sunflower samurai was really worth the wait. I do remember feeling like Kids on the Slope and Terror in Resonance were a relief in the ways they departed from the formula of Cowboy Bebop––as compared to Champloo, which is distinguished from other Watanabe projects maybe by how closely it cleaves to the Cowboy Bebop format. I remember really loving Kids on the Slope, as well. So far I like this one only vaguely.

Something else worth remarking on is the art. It suffers in comparison to Cowboy Bebop and Kids on the Slope, from the aughts-era transition to digital. A lot of shows from this era really suffer from this move, from unprcedented disasters like Shangri-La to my beloved, generally well-done El Cazador de la Bruja. There's often more minimal, contained animated movement in these 2000s-era shows than there is in the pre-2000 hand-drawn series, and the layouts often look especially anorexic. Compared to El Cazador de la Bruja, for instance, the same filmmakers' earlier Noir looks far more dynamic, with more robust layouts and more demonstrative movement. The compositions in this show look very awkward; the show has a lot of difficulty merging the murky, amorphous backdrops with the heavily graphic, weirdly distorted foreground characters.

Episode Two: Redeye Reprisal

"I'm a samurai in name only"

The most striking aspect of this second episode is the weird play of sympathy made amongst the episode's supporting cast. We're meant to extend sympathy at first to the meek country samurai, and then to give none to the brutish giant who can crush people's head with his bare hands. Then, as the episode goes on, identities of these characters shift markedly, and we're gradually encouraged to retract sympathy for the country samurai and extend it to the giant. The upshot is largely what extending sympathy to the giant does to our sympathy for Mugen when he
SpoilerShow
kills the giant, after the giant kills the villain, lays down his weapon, and surrenders.
The "country samurai" is a little more complex, and I'm really worried all the things laid out for him in this episode won't be ideas we return to later in the series (though he promises a return later, which I only vaguely recall, merely as something that probably did occur). First, there's the country samurai's gay pass at Jin, which falls a bit short of a full-blown "gay panic" cliche, but which does advance the question of Jin's sexuality. As I recall, sexuality is something Watanabe prefers to keep ambiguous, but it would be decently interesting if Jin were gay. Unfortunately, the pass is neither reciprocated, nor is it taken at face value by the story––it's meant to be a lure. The cross-cutting between Mugen and Jin in the first episode shows their equal contempt for authority; in this second episode, the cross-cutting seems to be puting them in equivalent honey trap situations. So the pass isn't genuine, and Jin never takes it as such. Still, Jin kind of leaves the question hanging in the air, and I have a funny feeling that is going to be where the question stays, hovering around in permanent ambiguity. I seem to recall the Gren character in Cowboy Bebop being given a similar sort of low-key but mostly ambiguous treatment. Gren doesn't get to fully express any feelings towards Viscious, and what we get here with Jin is very similar.

Also dropped by the deception, however, is this rich initial opportunity to explore this intriguing aspect of the economy of the samurai (see Goyokin or Harakiri for more interesting explorations into this, for instance). The country samurai tells us he's a samurai "in name only," implying a profound difference between the scope of his own life and interests and that of Jin's (Mugen is already being heavily-typed as the amateur in the mold of Kikuchiyo, the Toshiro Mifune poser character from Seven Samurai). Just as there's different origins for these samurai, there are different roles for the different kinds, and they provide differing disappointments, too. The bystanders at the inn are disappointed in the country samurai's apparent skittishness int he face of swordplay. Perhaps not coincidentally, Mugen disappoints Fuu at the end as well,
SpoilerShow
killing the giant even when the giant has a change of heart and saves Fuu.
The series really doesn't seem overly concerned so far with any expositing of a take on the samurai, any particular critical lens. So far, representation of the samurai seems pretty diffuse and unfocused. I feel like there was an opportunity here to show us a difference between the countryside and the socio-cultural centers––through the different samurai they produce, for instance. But I don't feel that Watanabe is strongly engaging the idea of the samurai. By this point in Cowboy Bebop, I think we were already cottoning on to the way Watanabe thought about bounty hunting.

Another thing that is hard for me to parse; this endless sawing on with the low-level food comedy. Bebop and Space Dandy both do this too, if I recall. The characters begin tons of episodes starving. This is a springboard into adventure, and then the pursuit of food is just dropped. We rarely ever get to see the characters eat their fill (presumably Mugen does here, but the others don't). Are the characters okay? This has never, ever sat right with me. I just want to see them finally eating.

I thought Watanabe might bring this up as an exploration of potential politics of hunger, because he frequently hints at anticapitalist expressions in his work. There's a way in which the constant drone of hunger does serve as a critique of capitalism (what if the travelers in Champloo or the bounty hunters in Bebop were able to disconnect their hunger from their labor, as in, say, Star Trek?). But I wish he'd really ever follow up on the characters hunger in any of his scenarios. I feel like there's more to say here.

So far, the big takeaways for me are the things I want to be more supported, more focused, better drawn. I think the cliches of the stories aren't doing the show any favors right now. The cliches play a lot heavier on the ground than the genre tropes cycled through in Bebop––maybe because Bebop's plots seem more unexpected in lots of places, and more inventive, lighter experience as a result.

knives

#7 Post by knives » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:39 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:38 pm
I watched the first episode. Firstly: I keep wanting to call this Samurai Shampoo. The episode was fun. It reminded me of Cowboy Bebop with its musical rhythms, casual violence, and sense of laid-back cool. It has a classic set up: a wild reckless guy, a type-A guy, and the girl who keeps them together. Should be fun, but can't say it promises anything exceptional. I'm probably going to pick away at episodes and comment on this or that one if it seems especially interesting.
Makes sense as CB is the same creator attempting to do something similar (i.e. a genre series based in part around a specific musical style). Also, the set up you notice is a very classical Japanese archetype. I’ve usually heard called the red oni and blue oni setup (which the show alludes to in their dress).

feihong

#8 Post by feihong » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:42 am

Episodes Three & Four: Hellhounds for Hire
Episode Five: Artistic Anarchy
Episode Six Stranger Searching

The two-parter is mostly genre stuff, in the vein of Three Outlaw Samurai and pictures like it. The characters split up, aiming to make the break permanent, and end up arriving in different parts of the same town's economy. They come together to shake things up, claiming it's random chance, but they end up righting the wrongs they each perceive all the same. Episode five begins with a new premise, introducing the influence of European interests first in terms of art. What makes the episode more interesting for me is the way the economy filters into it. There's an artist helping with kidnappings because, as he says to Fuu, "I couldn't make a living just from my Ukiyo-e paintings." I wonder how much this speech comes from the experience of the artists on the animation, working at art they love for a pittance, making sellouts of themselves to make ends meet? The episode comes together in the same way as the 2-parter, with the main characters wandering back together by approaching a problem from multiple angles. Perhaps that's why, in spite of the more interesting subject matter, episode five doesn't really engage more than the action-packed episode 3 & 4 story.

Stranger Searching, episode six, is the most interesting story yet, following a gay Dutchman in samurai disguise, who forces the trio to take him to see Edo. The way the trio are sucked into this is finally as interesting as the material which eventually becomes the main subject matter of the episode, and the move from one kind of story at the beginning into an episode about a mostly different story reminds me of a lot of Simpsons episodes' most arresting quality. As a figure trapped, longing to find a way out of social strictures, the Dutch tourist brings with him a lot of pathos. Holland is apparently too much, as my grandmother put it (albeit about Scotland), "socked-in with religion," and the tourist has escaped to try and live his truth in Japan. Like a lot of fans of Japanese popular culture, he has seized on one aspect of it––the cross-dressers of the kabuki theater––and blown this one fascination up into what he believes is a dominant, powerful trend in the country. His disappointment gives the episode more emotional heft than any of the others so far.

Mugen's character development here is very worthwhile, too, as he stands up to the locals trying to kick the foreigner out, out of his own twisted principle. We sense Mugen's desire for freedom––explicated a bit in the two-parter, established as an ethos here. The idea at this point seems to be that Mugen loses his freedom the moment he loses connection with his own impulses (as when he deserts the boss in Hellhounds for Hire), but that he regains freedom when he rejoices in his instincts––like when the guys looking for the Dutchman tell him to cough up a foreigner––and Mugen can't help him self but challenge them.

Overall, these episodes seem to put the film on a little bit of a steadier footing than the first couple of episodes. 3 and 4 make a well-executed genre exercise, and episodes 5 and 6 are much more intriguing, with unique elements which drive the story and which are central to the show's themes.The art seems to hang together a little better, with colors and textures and line quality coming together a little more (it seems the character designs are getting a little more appealing, as well). The fight animation looks better, filmed a little closer-in, on the whole––but these scenes still feel a little stiff, or locked-up, in a way I recall the opium episode transcending much more readily. There's still a flatness and a warbly, diffuse quality to the art and animation, which I don't think the show will really get beyond, if memory serves.

Mr Sausage

#9 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:42 am

One thing across the first few episodes is that the series doesn't know what to do with Fuu, probably because its traditional samurai plots weren't invented with women in mind. So the best the show can come up with is to make her the damsel in distress. She has now been a prisoner in need of rescue in three of the four episodes. That said, at least she was able to rescue herself in one of them. But, still...

At the moment, I'm finding the central characters to be the least interesting people in each narrative. It's people like the "Ogre" and the assassin from ep. 2, and the 'Buddhist yakuza' and the yojimbo from eps. 3 & 4, who are the interesting ones. So far, Mugen and Jin are a set of attitudes more than real characters. Maybe that'll change, but at the moment, they don't have my interest.

Mr Sausage

#10 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:24 am

Episode 6Show
I remember Cowboy Bebop playing around suggestively with things like sexual and gender identity, but I don't remember it explicitly addressing it like this episode does. Now, granted, the episode only felt comfortable making an out queer man be a foreigner, but it does make Japan's (little known?) cultural history of queer thought and writing be the man's reason for being in the country. The episode still functions as a queer narrative of trying to find acceptance, but makes a sly inversion: the man is not accepted for who he is, and wishes that some day society will open up to those like him. But not because he's gay--because he's a foreigner. So it's still a queer story, but one that implies, perhaps as a goad to conservative elements, that while intolerance has always been part of Japanese culture...so has queerness.

Also, I assume it's a cheeky joke that the gay man collects all the other characters' swords.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#11 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:22 am

Not sure I will get a chance to join in on this discussion -- as we were out of town for a week and I am trying to catch up on other things and also have lots (way too many) doctor's visits at the moment.

feihong

#12 Post by feihong » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:45 am

Episode Seven: A Risky Racket
Episode Eight: The Art of Altercation

These alliterative English-language episode titles are just terrible, aren't they? An episode feels 100 times stupid when it's "The Art of Altercation." That's probably not what's happening with the Japanese title, I imagine.

"I know he did bad things...."

If the show has a critique of the emerging capitalism which seems to be the background subject of so many episodes so far, these two episodes add focus and turn up the volume on that critique. We've seen the three heroes plodding along, having traveled without food for days at a time before, and in these episodes we see them trying to get more innovative, gambling first and then pawning objects. The gambling––a kind of theft––is followed by a bolder sort of theft. The pawning is maybe more interesting, in that the trio's wealth gets judged by an outside party. The only things they have of value are Jin's swords and, more importantly, his spectacles. The other items which matter to them have the distinction of having only personal value. That the emergent capitalist economy picks winners and losers––even between people of the same economic class––is sort of the subtext of both these episodes. In spite of the boy pickpocket in episode 7's mother delivering a distinctly old-world moral critique with her "I know he did bad things" speech, we leave the episode knowing more than what the mother sees; they are being gouged for the medicine the mother needs, and the boy––deeply isolated, living almost entirely, it seems, to keep his mother alive––is being pushed on all sides into a life of crime. At the end of the episode, the mother's judgement seems harsh; one doubts the moral condemnation is genuinely merited, precisely because the episode situates the boy in this clear series of economic dead-end pressures. At the end of the episode, only Fuu knows the truth; if his mother wasn't dying, if the price of medicine wasn't jacked up to an extraordinary degree, if the boy had the ability to make any larger amount of money––he obviously would not be a crook. And yet, that distinction is available only to Fuu. The merchants and townspeople are spectacularly unsympathetic to the child's distress, and to the way this economic noose has cut off all oxygen in his life. It's a pretty miserable f*ckin' episode, grim and unfunny, with bleak visuals (the fate of the pickpocket is given some of the most extreme, expressionistic color of the series so far) and a harsh outlook to match.

Following that is the bizarre comedy of the unexpected in episode eight. Nagamitsu is a character I remembered pretty well from my original viewing, with his frustrating hype-men, and his preening, male self-importance––sort of a staple target of Watanabe's satire. But Nagamitsu is ridiculous from frame one. It's not terribly funny, but the reveal of who really wants the vengeance against Jin Nagamitsu seems to have bogarted is genuinely surprising. It makes the episode closer to worth it, as does a genuine drift into Jin's past.

Still, one has to think about how little character development we have, eight episodes in. Not that much seems held back, really, but nothing about these characters feels purposeful, fresh, or interesting. One begins to suspect that the hidden aspects of their personalities at this point (did Jin murder his master? What's Fuu's connection with this sunflower samurai? and how did Mugen come to be the equivalent of a samurai in aptitude, when he clearly has none of the samurai's life experiences?) are not going to yield truly rewarding revelations––the way Spike's past illuminates his choices all throughout Cowboy Bebop, for instance. The way I recall the series––entirely vaguely, in almost all respects––these mysteries don't reveal anything truly rewarding, either. The development of these characters is just very flat at this point, almost like they don't matter at all as individuals (why make a story about the three of them, then?).

The other interesting element of this episode is the way it dovetails back to the subject of its capitalist hellscape. For at the end of this episode we see that the entire Nagamitsu episode was essentially one long con (not that Nagamitsu really seems in on idea), and that Nagamitsu's associates had the three marked long beforehand. The way in which the episode begins illuminating how the world of the pawn shop reduces the significance of an item with personal value, until it has no inherent value in the popular imagination, is an interesting enough contrast to the way in which the Nagamitsu clan proves far more effective as con artists than the leading trio with their attempt at ruthless survivalism.

And yet, I think both these episodes would be much more effective if the opening gambits for the lead trio were reversed. So if the trio had been in the pawn shop getting their treasures of personal significance devalued, and then they met the pickpocket––then the idea that some people are entirely devalued in the new economy would have more significance. And if the trio won big at the casino in the beginning of episode 8, then got rooked by the superior wiles and economic chutzpah of the Nagamitsu clan––well, I just think it would be, in general, more communicative of what I think Watanabe's going after.

feihong

#13 Post by feihong » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:33 am

Episode Nine: Beatbox Bandits
Episode Ten: Lethal Lunacy

I remember Beatbox Bandits as the high-point of the series, but on re-visiting, it didn't live up to the hype. Everyone gets stoned on poppies. The animation I remember being really crazy is crazy for a few seconds. then it is gone. The "oni in the woods" storyline is developed only superficially. The whole "Mugen is a slob" schtick is pretty heavy in this one.

The thing that sticks out to me this time around is the relentless sexualization of Fuu. Similar to Faye Valentine, Fuu is treated predominantly as a bouncing pair of breasts, flashing an occasional smile. The problem isn't just the frequent exploitative angles on Fuu, that don't seem to have any purpose (in this episode Fuu is stripped against her will twice; the second time, she is prodded with a bunch of phallic-looking yari spears, needling her in the breasts). Beyond that, the larger problem is what Mr. Sausage is talking about, that Fuu isn't especially useful in these frequently male-centric stories. This episode especially underlined Fuu's lack of value for her creators. She did literally nothing the whole time.

Episode 10, Lethal Lunacy, is in general a tighter episode, though it's the second episode in a row which benches Fuu and Jin and focuses on Mugen. Mugen's battle with the "villain of the week" is made a little interesting by the sidelong revelation that Mugen can listen and think and improve his skills as he advances. But in general, these are fairly bland episodes. Not much to say about them. I couldn't see anything of any more extended value in these episodes, no special element that potentially comments on something or makes the story more complicated.

Mr Sausage

#14 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:59 am

In general, Samurai Champloo doesn't seem to know what to do with women. They only seem to exist as sly temptresses, dragon-lady wives, or kindly mothers. They never drive the plot or action, either. They're ancillary blocking figures or objects of sympathy. Cowboy Bebop didn't have a lot of women characters, either, but there was always Ed being her own thing; and even Faye, despite her exploitative depiction, was a rounded, interesting character who was essential to the group dynamic and would drive many of the episodes.

I guess it's disappointing in shows purporting to be freewheeling and modern, with an anarchic sensibility, that they so easily fall into rote gender conventions.

Mr Sausage

#15 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue May 02, 2023 1:17 pm

Episodes 16 & 17Show
These two episodes, by trying to force a certain emotional register, accidentally reveal the chief failing of the show so far: the three main characters neither care for nor about each other. So when you get a story structured around a rupture followed by rapprochement, the hollowness of the rapprochement throws the problem into relief.

Cowboy Bebop's protagonists were sad, broken people who'd long lost the ability to have healthy emotional connections. That led to all sorts of selfish or annoying behaviours; but however much the Bebop crew failed to prioritize each other, you could tell they cared, indeed cared enough that they'd develop coping strategies to deal with the strength of these unwanted emotions. Their casual disregard hid their bond; you felt more than circumstance and inertia were keeping them together. A mutual recognition of their own brokenness created an understanding and respect none of them were comfortable admitting.

But what the hell is keeping Jin, Mugen, and Fuu together? None of them seem to like each other: Jin and Mugen are one wrong step away from killing each other at any given moment, and spend most of their time together annoyed that they can't do away with the other, finally. There's no mutual respect at each other's skills: mostly they're angry that a serious competitor exists that they haven't killed yet. Fuu, on the other hand, is dragging these two sad sacks along on a quest whose details she unreasonably refuses to share. So Mugen and Jin spend most of their time annoyed with her, unsure at why they're even doing any of this, and happy to rid themselves of her presence (I swear 90% of the episodes start with them charging off somewhere and leaving her on her own). Fuu, for her part, never cares to learn anything about them. She shows no sexual or romantic interest in them, yet is immediately jealous and insecure anytime they show interest in another woman. She wants unstated emotional investment from them, yet doesn't seem to regard them as people beyond that. She's just endlessly disappointed that they aren't perpetually there for whatever physical or emotional need pops up in her. To make things worse, Fuu's immaturity sits so oddly with the revenge plot device, that the show can't even let her admit she wants revenge at all, making her waffle around and sort of half-admit it. There are no powerful emotions maintaining this bond because Fuu has none that don't revolve around food or sexual insecurity.

So when the two parter throws out by way of explanation the idea that traveling companions, by virtue of traveling together, share some special bond, it both falls flat and rings true. Falls flat, because the show has thus far failed to show this being the case; rings true, because it has to be true--nothing else explains why these people who can't wait to be rid of each other keep going on together. Which is all to say, the two parter seems designed to address a problem the creators belatedly realized and felt the need to paper over with an unsatisfying explanation that the absence of any other explanation forces you to accept.
What I'm enjoying most is show's interest in Japanese culture, traditional or otherwise. There's a fun side conversation in episode 18 about the differences between Edo (ie. modern Kanto) and Kansai food. That this comes in an episode dedicated to graffiti is...I don't know. I don't know what to make of this potpourri the show has created. It's interesting, even if I can't fathom the motivation.

Mr Sausage

#16 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed May 03, 2023 6:30 pm

I really enjoyed watching this show. I know, I know, I've been endlessly critical here, but really, every time I popped an episode on, I was immediately entertained. I'v even resorted to it after bailing on a movie or two, unable to find whatever might suit my vague mood but sure that Samurai Champloo wouldn't make me antsy. The reason I've been mostly critical is, on a simple level, it was more interesting to talk about what didn't work than what did, because what did work for me is hard to state outside of personal and affective terms like "fun" or" exciting" or "well-told". On a less simple level, my criticisms came from the fact that I thought the show fell short of being exceptional, when the production team were definitely capable of making something exceptional (see: Cowboy Bebop). Every episode was engaging, visually energetic, and economically plotted. It's a very good show, but one whose limitations stand out precisely because its formal elements suggest so much more creativity than, really, it offers. Nothing about the show was surprising; its anachronisms, while creative, never actually turned into narrative anarchy. The stories told were traditional stories, done in a novel, flashy way, but still traditional. It often didn't know what to do with its characters, and it forced an emotional connection in the last few episodes that it failed to properly communicate in the bulk of the show. The show gets away with it because, at the end of 26 engaging episodes, you do want something better for the protagonists on some level.

I forget who suggested this one, but thank you for the suggestion! I had a good time.