Warner Brothers Archive Collection (DVDs only)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jean-Luc Garbo

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection

#1576 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:00 pm

Are the copies of Lusty Men that Amazon sells DVD-R? The page says they are, but I would have thought they got them direct from WB.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1577 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:22 pm

Amazon burns all Archive DVD titles themselves, even pressed ones

DeprongMori

#1578 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:20 am

Placed my first WAC order with this sale. Would have ordered additional DVDs, but don't have sufficient data as to whether "Initial quantities of this release will be traditionally replicated (pressed) in anticipation of high consumer demand." in conjunction with "Made to Order" on the item listing means that there are still pressed discs available, or that they are now MOD. I'll soon find out.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1579 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:01 am

Check here-- if they're included, they're still pressed

DeprongMori

#1580 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:07 am

Thank you kindly. It looks like the two DVDs I ordered are safe. Maybe I'll snag "Miracle of Morgan's Creek" the next sale. Or perhaps there will be a Criterion edition by then. ;^)

FrauBlucher

#1581 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:34 am

Just a reminder WAC are announcing a bunch of titles Tues as per a Twitter question response.

Grisbi

#1582 Post by Grisbi » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:41 am

Could anyone tell me how long the 5 for $45 sale normally lasts? It doesn't really say anywhere on the site. Thanks in advance :)

Feego

#1583 Post by Feego » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:49 am

According to the e-mail I received, the sale ends January 5 at 11:59 pacific time.

Noiradelic

#1584 Post by Noiradelic » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:51 am

Ends Monday at 11:59 PST.

Cagliostro

#1585 Post by Cagliostro » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:20 pm

Picked up Show Boat in the latest sale (still pressed in case anyone was wondering). Does anyone else's copy have a weird glitch at 1:04.51? Sound drops out and image freezes for a split second. It's likely my copy but wanted to check before trying to exchange.

Professor Wagstaff

#1586 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:22 pm

I returned a copy of Showboat that had a glitch around that the hour mark, but what particular minute I don't recall. The disc dropped in audio and the image froze, though my copy wouldn't let me continue with the movie. My replacement disc worked without a hitch. Hope that helps.

Cagliostro

#1587 Post by Cagliostro » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:20 am

Thanks Professor Wagstaff. Also picked up Born to be Bad this time around and just discovered that it freezes halfway through and won't continue . . . .

Gregory

#1588 Post by Gregory » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:19 am

Same Showboat glitch here.

DeprongMori

#1589 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:35 pm

FYI: The Hudsucker Proxy had disappeared from their shop during the last Warner's sale, but has now returned to their BluRay listings.

hearthesilence

#1590 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:02 pm

I have a quick question - I just noticed that my Blu-Ray of Performance has tiny scuffs all over it. This is the first time I've ever bought a new, sealed Blu-Ray disc that wasn't pristine on the surface (the coating on these things are supposed to be really, really hard to mark up, much less scratch).

Anyone else have this experience with Warner Archive? Given the reported issues about this disc, I'm wondering if someone returned it (say, sticking it in an envelope without the case) and they just put back into circulation, so to speak.

fdm

#1591 Post by fdm » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:42 pm

The way their discs look often as not (burnt or pressed), wouldn't surprise me if their blu-rays are similarly abused. Early on I received a few that looked like they must have been repackaged they were so bad, fingerprints, covered with dust and/or scratched up, so I wouldn't put it past them to actually be doing that.

Now I always open them all up when I get them (though to my new regret, I've not opened up the blu-rays, from now on I'll have to do them as well). I have a handful of dvd-rs that I'll be sending back from the recent 5for45 sale, a couple/three of them were particularly scratched up this time, the others more grungy looking than usual. Usually the scratches and/or grunge have been negligible, so I haven't bothered (the ones I've played have played ok)... And previously I sent back a set of pressed discs, one disc in particular was in really rough shape, wasn't the first time I've done that either.

Feego

#1592 Post by Feego » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:38 am

Haven't had this experience with a Warner Archive Blu-ray, but EVERY single disc in my Martin & Lewis Collections Vol. 1 and 2 (pressed) was covered in scratches, fingerprints, and marks that could not be wiped off. I've had this experience with DVDs from other companies too, so I think it probably has more to do with workers clumsily putting them in the cases rather than being returned products.

By the way, I have received Blu-rays before that were scratched. One of the Blu-ray discs in my Blade Runner set (coincidentally a Warner set, though ordered from Amazon) had several scratches on it, but it played fine.

HerrSchreck

#1593 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:16 pm

Warner Archive's Operation Daybreak vs Hangmen Also Die vs Atentat (Jiri Sequens).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1595 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:48 am

Femme Fatale, the Science of Sleep, and Death to Smoochy are among the latest pressed titles that could justify a Blu-ray release and yet are getting downgraded to MODs

Also a four disc Eddie Cantor Goldwyn set is coming in June, doesn't say it'll be pressed yet but most likely it will

fdm

#1596 Post by fdm » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Any idea whether there will be 5 for $50 sales in the future, or did they maybe go the way of the dodo bird? Been a while.

whaleallright

#1597 Post by whaleallright » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Femme Fatale, the Science of Sleep, and Death to Smoochy are among the latest pressed titles that could justify a Blu-ray release and yet are getting downgraded to MODs
I don't usually wade in on these issues, but I think this characterization is misleading. after all, the DVD and Blu-Ray markets are not identical. WB may have decided that, after over a decade of being in print on pressed DVD, there is no longer a market for a film on DVD that would justify a new run of over 1,000 (or even 500) pressed copies. it would not be hard to argue that most people who wanted to own Femme Fatale on DVD have purchased it already. however, there might very well be a market for a Blu-Ray of that film. (perhaps it's a small market and it would make more sense for a studio to license the film to a boutique label like Criterion or Twilight Time.)

put another way, relegating a film to release as a MOD DVD does not necessarily say much about its future value as a Blu-Ray release. (and it says nothing at all about Warners' perception of a film's aesthetic value; the tone of some posts on this board make it sound as if relegating a favorite film to MOD is a personal affront.)

Gregory

#1598 Post by Gregory » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:29 pm

jonah.77 wrote:relegating a film to release as a MOD DVD does not necessarily say much about its future value as a Blu-Ray release.
Statistically, it says quite a lot about the likelihood of such films ever getting a pressed release again. How often has that happened in over five years of the MOD model? WAC has released a couple thousand films on DVD-R, and the other studios' MOD labels have produced a few hundred each. How many of those will be given better restorations or be released on Blu-ray? This is following a similar trend in book publishing of trying to streamline and increase profitability by killing the midlist, which used to be a huge area of publishing that occupied a lot of areas between blockbuster titles and truly arcane niche subjects. Because the retail market that the big studios' existing model was based upon has changed, more any more back-catalog titles (including widely familiar ones) end up in the niche end of the market, and the studios use MOD (or licensing to third-parties) to cut down on excess risky unsold product and because so many who still really want these obscure titles will pay premium prices to get them on DVD-R.

Professor Wagstaff

#1599 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:52 pm

Can anyone offer thoughts on Lolly Madonna XXX? I've had an interest in this movie for awhile, but I couldn't find any insights on the forum.

Werewolf by Night

#1600 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:54 pm

domino harvey wrote:Check here-- if they're included, they're still pressed
This handy listing of Warner Archives' pressed discs seems to have vanished, has anyone been able to find a more recent listing?