Warner Brothers Archive Collection (DVDs only)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection

#1551 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:22 pm

Feeling so good about having sold Martin and Lewis Vol 1 for $120 a few years back

Jean-Luc Garbo

#1552 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:52 pm

Are they sold out of the pressed copies of Lusty Men yet?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1553 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:55 pm

Still showing up in the Replicated Section, so you should be good

Shrew
The Untamed One

#1554 Post by Shrew » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:29 pm

Warner Archive Annoyance #378:
I'd been keeping a tab on The Lusty Men and other replicated discs through this link via shop.warnerarchive.com rather that domino's wbshop.com. Now I realize that Lusty Men is missing not because it sold out quickly, but because the whole page (which you would think is the more official Archive page) hasn't been updated in ages.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1555 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:22 pm

In case anyone is like me and needs double-confirmation, my copies of the latest Forbidden Hollywood, the first volume of Martin and Lewis, and the Dr Gillespie set all came today from WB direct and all are indeed 100% pressed

Feego

#1556 Post by Feego » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:35 pm

5 for $50 or 10 for $95 Black Friday Sale. This sale includes the still-pressed The Lusty Men and several Blu-rays, including Out of the Pat. According to the e-mail, this sale will end November 30 at 11:59 pm Pacific time.

hearthesilence

#1557 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Also the Blu-Ray for Performance. I'd also recommend the DVDs (MOD, sadly) for Minnelli's The Clock, Raoul Walsh's Strawberry Blonde, Jacques Tourneur's Stars in My Crown and Wichita (which Richard Brody just wrote about for The New Yorker, praising it as a great film about gun rights/control) and Cukor's Bhowani Junction.

Also, they gave me free shipping, even though I only bought 5! (They advertised that you needed to buy at least $75 worth of stuff, and I just got $50.)

criterion10

#1558 Post by criterion10 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:20 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Also the Blu-Ray for Performance.
That Blu-Ray does still feature the incorrectly dubbed audio track though. Personally, I'm considering going with the DVD; even with the inferior PQ/AQ, the audio track is still correct (minus the "Here's to old England!" mishap).

hearthesilence

#1559 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:27 pm

Really? That sucks, wish they could fix that, but if it's a pressed disc, I guess that makes it more difficult with their budget.

Max von Mayerling

#1560 Post by Max von Mayerling » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:42 pm

hearthesilence, thanks for noting your free shipping experience. I just tried it and the same thing happened to me - so the website still says you need to purchase $75 to get free shipping, but you really only need to purchase $50.

FrauBlucher

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#1561 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:18 pm

Warner Archive just answered a question about announcements on twitter....
Jan 6 for new stuff. This next month we'll be adding 30 back in prints and 6 first time in Widescreens
And then added this about how many will be blu rays....
We should be accelerating our Blu rate next year ;)
Sounds promising. Big year for WB.

Ashirg

#1562 Post by Ashirg » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:12 pm

6 first time in Widescreens will be -
Divine Madness (old DVD is non-anamorphic)
Joe's Apartment
The Man with Two Brains
My Blue Heaven
Running on Empty
Star 80

It would be smart of them to release these on replicated discs for the first batch, but I'm not sure if they will go this route.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1563 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:41 pm

I believe Star 80 is available in Australia in Widescreen on pressed disc if not

Ashirg

#1564 Post by Ashirg » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:58 pm

domino harvey wrote:I believe Star 80 is available in Australia in Widescreen on pressed disc if not
correct. So is Joe's Apartment and My Blue Heaven.

Noiradelic

#1565 Post by Noiradelic » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:23 pm

So The Jerk gets a Blu and Man With Two Brains likely gets a DVD-R.
Ashirg wrote:It would be smart of them to release these on replicated discs for the first batch, but I'm not sure if they will go this route.
It would be smart, but that's never stopped WB.

hearthesilence

#1566 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:00 am

Max von Mayerling wrote:hearthesilence, thanks for noting your free shipping experience. I just tried it and the same thing happened to me - so the website still says you need to purchase $75 to get free shipping, but you really only need to purchase $50.
You're welcome!

Aunt Peg

#1567 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:48 am

domino harvey wrote:I believe Star 80 is available in Australia in Widescreen on pressed disc if not
Confirming that you are correct.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1568 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:49 pm

What does it mean if a title is in the replicated section on WB's website, but has a little "made to order" icon in the bottom right corner (where others say "Save x%!") and then says "made to order DVD" when you add it to your cart? This is true for instance of the new Martin & Lewis DVDs and the new Forbidden Hollywood collection.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1569 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:07 pm

It's always said that, it means nothing

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1570 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:09 pm

OK, thanks. I've ordered from that page several times but I guess I've never noticed those things before.

whaleallright

#1571 Post by whaleallright » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:28 pm

Does anyone have an email address for Warner Archive customer support? I got a bad disk, and have sent several messages to their single "contact" web page (http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/ ... tact+us.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) — but have yet to receive a response weeks later.

fdm

#1572 Post by fdm » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:57 pm

You got me curious too, I got a bad disc (big gouge/scratch on play side) for one of the pressed discs in Forbidden Hollywood v8 that I need to do something with.

Did you try service@shop.warnerarchive.com [you get that if you reply to the order thank you email] (or service@warnerarchive.com [it's mentioned at the bottom of the same order thank you email])? (It's been quite a while since I've had to do this, how about service@wbshop.com, an oldie but goodie that worked a couple years ago...)

Noiradelic

#1573 Post by Noiradelic » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:43 am

WAC's having their annual 5-for-$45 sale. All Blus included except the latest releases and The Hudsucker Proxy, which is apparently OOP. I can personally vouch for The Lusty Men still being pressed as of the beginning of December, and it's still listed on the "Replicated" page.

Someone at Blu-ray.com posted this:
[Their Blu-rays] are currently still pressed, but they will not always remain so. WA has stated that they will only offer their Blus as pressed for a limited time, after that they will be burned. No one has reported any burned ones yet, but they will supposedly come eventually. Burning a BD-25 has become much more affordable in the last year and it's likely they will use those instead of the more cost prohibitive BD-50's for future titles and re-releases, especially if you buy them somewhere other than from WB. I heard this directly from an executive at the WA.

EddieLarkin

#1574 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:40 am

We do not use BD-R, nor do we plan to use BD-R in the future. Regardless of who you buy Warner Archive Blu-rays from, you will receive a Blu-ray disc, not a BD-R ~ Warner Archive YouTube guy, 3 months ago.

Noiradelic

#1575 Post by Noiradelic » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:45 pm

I think the point of the YouTube video was to dispel the common misconception that they've been using BD-R all along, a myth perpetuated by the fact that most sites discussing WAC's BD line refer to them as MOD. What WB says publicly now and what an executive says privately aren't necessarily going to be the same thing. I didn't post that quote because I think they're immediately going to switch all future releases over to BD-R, but to mentally prepare people for the possibility that at some point in the future they may start using them after initial runs for BD titles sell out. That quote is a post on an internet forum and should be taken in that light. The poster is a regular who knows film, but he may also be overly cynical. Then again he may also be telling the truth.