Paul Newman (as director) on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Àngel Maeztu

Paul Newman (as director) on DVD

#1 Post by Àngel Maeztu » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:54 am

I would truly love to see DVD releases of these three stunning movies:

Rachel, Rachel (1968)
The Effect Of Gamma Rays On Man-In-The-Moon Marigolds (1972)
The Glass Menagerie (1987)

Will it ever happen?

atcolomb

#2 Post by atcolomb » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:40 pm

I have seen Rachel Rachel on VHS and it's a good movie with a great performance of Joanne Woodward. Now it's hard to find a copy of the movie so a dvd release will be nice.

Person

#3 Post by Person » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:50 pm

Don't forget his 1971 film of Ken Kesey's, Sometimes a Great Notion.

evillights

Re: Paul Newman (as director) on DVD

#4 Post by evillights » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:47 pm

'The Effect of Gamma Rays...' has just been given a theatrical re-release in France. So a DVD release (at least in some region or other) would seem to be imminent...

HistoryProf

Re:

#5 Post by HistoryProf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:58 am

Person wrote:Don't forget his 1971 film of Ken Kesey's, Sometimes a Great Notion.
why in god's name is this STILL not out on DVD? i've been waiting, oh, a decade now and NOTHING. it's really starting to piss me off. This is a Warner title isn't it?

AfterTheRain

Re: Re:

#6 Post by AfterTheRain » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:39 am

HistoryProf wrote:
Person wrote:Don't forget his 1971 film of Ken Kesey's, Sometimes a Great Notion.
why in god's name is this STILL not out on DVD? i've been waiting, oh, a decade now and NOTHING. it's really starting to piss me off. This is a Warner title isn't it?
Nope, it's a Universal title, and I agree with you 100%; this movie should be out on DVD.

tojoed

Re: Re:

#7 Post by tojoed » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:41 am

HistoryProf wrote:
Your wish is Optimum's command.

Person

#8 Post by Person » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:20 pm

WTF! Sometimes a Great Notion is on DVD? Released last April? That went completely under my world-renowned DVD radar. Huge thanks for the heads-up, tojoed. :D

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm just glad the superb Rachel, Rachel came out before the Warner Archives, as I'm sure it would've been doomed to DVD-Rdom otherwise

MoonlitKnight

#11 Post by MoonlitKnight » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:27 am

Person wrote:WTF! Sometimes a Great Notion is on DVD? Released last April? That went completely under my world-renowned DVD radar. Huge thanks for the heads-up, tojoed.
That's all good and fine for you Limeys, but what about us Yanks? 8-[

"Notion," "Gamma Rays," and "Menagerie" are all musts for release on DVD (I believe I suggested all 3 of them to Criterion last year). Anyone know if "Harry and Son" (1984) is any good?

tojoed

#12 Post by tojoed » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:13 am

MoonlitKnight wrote:
Person wrote:WTF! Sometimes a Great Notion is on DVD? Released last April? That went completely under my world-renowned DVD radar. Huge thanks for the heads-up, tojoed.
That's all good and fine for you Limeys, but what about us Yanks?
Er, how about a Region free DVD player?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:53 pm

Not a DVD but someone has uploaded a very nice looking copy of the Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds to YouTube

EDIT: Got a chance to finally watch this and wow, this was the perfect antidote to Precious! Ah gray shades, how I've missed you

DOUBLE EDIT: The same YouTube account has uploaded the Newman-directed Glass Menagerie and the Shadow Box too, alongside Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams in a letterboxed print!

TRIPLE EDIT: Apparently the Shadow Box is available on DVD in the UK. Wish I'd known that before I watched the VHS rip on YouTube. Oh well, it was an enjoyable if slight teleplay, though Christopher Plummer totally kills

Jobla

#14 Post by Jobla » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:22 pm

I would love to purchase THE GLASS MENAGERIE and THE EFFECT OF GAMMA RAYS ON MAN-IN-THE-MOON MARIGOLDS on DVD (or even MOD, if need be).

anne_zombie

#15 Post by anne_zombie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:59 pm

domino harvey wrote:I'm just glad the superb Rachel, Rachel came out before the Warner Archives, as I'm sure it would've been doomed to DVD-Rdom otherwise
(Stating the obvious: No doubt because of his passing away at a convenient hour for lovers of great films. Joanne Woodward's finest hour!) Seconded!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:00 pm

anne_zombie wrote: Joanne Woodward's finest hour!
As an actress you're probably right, but the male in me prefers her in the Long Hot Summer =P~

anne_zombie

#17 Post by anne_zombie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:
anne_zombie wrote: Joanne Woodward's finest hour!
As an actress you're probably right, but the male in me prefers her in the Long Hot Summer =P~
Now that you mention it - supposing you could have your pick - which female character in the movies would be your no. 1 choice? :wink:

HarryLong

#18 Post by HarryLong » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:22 am

domino harvey wrote:Apparently the Shadow Box is available on DVD in the UK... Oh well, it was an enjoyable if slight teleplay, though Christopher Plummer totally kills
It's been years since I saw it, but I think they had to water it down for TV (I'd still like to see it again for the cast - didn't Sylvia Sidney play the old lady with Alzheimer's?). The play is quite powerful.

Cosmic Bus

#19 Post by Cosmic Bus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Seems all those Newman films have been pulled from Youtube now.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Goddammit, they pulled the account of the YouTube user who upped 'em and she had some AMAZING rarities up that I was putting off watching. This really sucks

anne_zombie

#21 Post by anne_zombie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:06 pm

domino harvey wrote:Goddammit, they pulled the account of the YouTube user who upped 'em and she had some AMAZING rarities up that I was putting off watching. This really sucks
Yeah, that sucks. Tough luck! Better luck next time. Nothing is permanent, and procrastination has a tendency to backfire. There's a lesson to be learned here.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Watched Optimum's beautiful release of Sometimes a Great Notion tonite and wow, it's a stunner! Probably Newman's most "cinematic" film as director, with some terrific actuality footage of the log-harvesting process and one of the saddest and most horrible on-screen deaths I've ever seen. Strangely enough, the aspect of the film one would expect an actor's-actor like Newman to nail-- Remick's unsatisfied wife-- is a total nonstarter. As much as I love her, Remick's scenes are totally superfluous. And above all else, I will say this: Newman knew how to end the film! :lol:

HistoryProf

#23 Post by HistoryProf » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:31 am

domino harvey wrote:Watched Optimum's beautiful release of Sometimes a Great Notion tonite and wow, it's a stunner! Probably Newman's most "cinematic" film as director, with some terrific actuality footage of the log-harvesting process and one of the saddest and most horrible on-screen deaths I've ever seen. Strangely enough, the aspect of the film one would expect an actor's-actor like Newman to nail-- Remick's unsatisfied wife-- is a total nonstarter. As much as I love her, Remick's scenes are totally superfluous. And above all else, I will say this: Newman knew how to end the film! :lol:
I saw this on vhs years ago and have been growing increasingly impatient waiting for it on DVD. I don't understand why it hasn't been released. It's a fantastic film with, as you said, some amazing footage in the woods. And "my arm fell off" is about the greatest cinematic moment in history!

It's Ken Kesey's 2nd novel (after Cuckoo's Nest)...You'd think that alone would get it out on dvd, but nope. Does anyone know who owns this and what the chances are of it seeing the light of day again?

tojoed

#24 Post by tojoed » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:38 am

HistoryProf wrote: It's Ken Kesey's 2nd novel (after Cuckoo's Nest)...You'd think that alone would get it out on dvd, but nope. Does anyone know who owns this and what the chances are of it seeing the light of day again?
It's already out on DVD - what are you waiting for?

HistoryProf

#25 Post by HistoryProf » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:15 am

not in North America.