Aria

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jeff

Aria

#1 Post by Jeff » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:39 am

The Image disc of the Ken Russell-Charles Sturridge-Nicolas Roeg-Robert Altman-Jean-Luc Godard-Bruce Beresford-Julien Temple-Derek Jarman-Bill Bryden-Franc Roddam omnibus film is out of print. Warner will be releasing their version on 7-1-08. No word on supplements.
Last edited by Jeff on Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lino

#2 Post by Lino » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:37 pm

Fucking great news! That old disc is fetching insane prices right now and since this is Warner, the price will be right as well as the A/V presentation. Sweet.

Murdoch

Aria (Various, 1987)

#3 Post by Murdoch » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:26 am

What a visual feast this film is, and a truly underrated gem. The synthesis of sight and sound displays the masterful touch of the directors in their interpretation of each piece, each adding a distinctive touch and creating a gorgeous film as rich in its visuals as its score.

The film is an anthology of ten short films all utilizing operatic music, each short is directed by a different director (Altman, Roeg, Godard, Jarman, Bill Bryden, Ken Russell, Charles Sturridge, Julien Temple, and Frank Roddam) and almost all are without dialogue. My favorite was probably Altman's segment, although I find it hard to choose since I found the film to have so many highlights overall. It's available to watch instantly on Netflix. I'm rather disappointed that Fellini wasn't able to contribute a segment, but I don't feel the film suffers from his absence.

How did others react to it? Also, how would you criticize the different pieces and what did you think of each director's interpretation of the music? I feel the need to let it sink in before I provide anything further.

rockysds

Re: Aria

#4 Post by rockysds » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:09 am

Blu-ray from Sony end of March.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:55 am

*BD-R

Big Ben

#6 Post by Big Ben » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:25 am

Well that killed any desire to see it this way.

dwk

#7 Post by dwk » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:37 pm

According to the Blu-ray.com news post, this is coming from Lightyear Entertainment and eOne/Sony are just distributing it. Hopefully this means it will be an actual Blu-ray and not a BD-R