An Affair To Remember 50th Anniversary Edition

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Lino

#1 Post by Lino » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:02 pm

From DVDActive:
Fox Home Entertainment has announced a 50th Anniversary release of An Affair To Remember which stars Cary Grant, and Deborah Kerr. The two-disc special edition will be available to own from the 15th January, and should retail at around $19.98. The film will receive a new digital widescreen presentation, along with English Stereo track. Extras will include a commentary By Singer Marni Nixon & Film Historian Joseph McBride, multiple featurettes (Affairs to Remember: Deborah Kerr, Affairs to Remember: Cary Grant, Directed by Leo McCarey, A Producer to Remember: Jerry Wald, The Look of An Affair To Remember, and AMC Backstory: An Affair To Remember), a poster gallery, still gallery, Fox Movietonews: An Affair to Remember Shipboard Premiere Attracts Celebrities, the theatrical trailer, and more.
I've never watched this one and frankly, I'm quite surprised that its appeal would be enough to warrant a SE like the one Fox will be giving us. Is this movie that popular? Or good, even?

Belmondo

#2 Post by Belmondo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:31 pm

Popular? Good? The movie is beyond criticism and has entered the consciousness of the Boomer Generation as the kind of romance; played by the kind of stars, of whom nothing bad dare be said.

If someone were to say it; he might say something like - "this is a gigantic glob of girlish goo goo featuring two of my favorite stars who for some reason don't have the chemistry here that they should, and please pass the hanky."

Somebody should say it; but, it won't be me.

GringoTex

#3 Post by GringoTex » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Lino wrote:I've never watched this one and frankly, I'm quite surprised that its appeal would be enough to warrant a SE like the one Fox will be giving us. Is this movie that popular? Or good, even?
It's a fantastic movie but has already been released in a great Fox Studio Classics edition, so this is a bit strange.

dadaistnun

#4 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:43 pm

Meanwhile, Love Affair languishes in some murky (pseudo-PD?) rights hell.

Cinephrenic

Re: An Affair To Remember 50th Anniversary Edition

#6 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:44 pm

More classics on Blu...sweet!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:14 am

Hopefully we see Leave Her to Heaven next... the very thought of which makes my heart go pitter-patter

Jeff

#8 Post by Jeff » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:05 pm

Bluray.com has the art. It's a digibook like the upcoming All About Eve. Fox could indeed be planning a line of deluxe Blu classics.

perkizitore

#9 Post by perkizitore » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:50 pm

hearthesilence

#10 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:24 am

The Blu-Ray looks superb, but for some reason, the picture feels a tiny, tiny bit squashed down. Looking at the various caps on DVDBeaver, this seems to be the look of the film - every old transfer has the same look. Does anyone else see this? If so, is this something that's inherent with some CinemaScope titles?

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#11 Post by Brian C » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Are you referring to the "CinemaScope mumps"?
A third characteristic, particularly of simple anamorphic add-on attachments to prime lenses, is "anamorphic mumps". For reasons of practical optics, the anamorphic squeeze is not uniform across the image field in any system, whether cylindrical, prismatic or mirror-based. This variation resulted in some areas of the film image appearing more stretched than others. In the case of an actor's face in the center of the screen their faces look somewhat like they had the mumps, hence the name for the phenomenon. Conversely, at the edges of the screen actors in full length view can become skinny-looking. In medium shots, if they walk across the screen from one side to the other, they increase in apparent girth. Early Cinemascope presentations in particular (using Chrétien's off-the-shelf lenses) suffered from it. The first company to produce an anti-mumps system was Panavision in the late 1950s.

hearthesilence

#12 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:36 pm

I think this is it! It makes absolute sense - the squishing problem (or "the mumps") gets really apparent when it's a close medium shot of, say, Grant and Kerr sitting at a table, but in other shots (say a long shot where they're walking across the screen), they don't look squat or anything like that. I've never heard of this before - I always wondered how difficult it would be to shoot and then properly project something that will look 'correct' given the nature of anamorphic lenses. Thanks for the link!

zeeshan

Re:

#13 Post by zeeshan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:49 am

To make sure the item you're buying is eligible--look for the "Want it delivered . . ." message that displays a delivery date and shipping option. This message lets you know that Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery is available for the item and displays the soonest we could deliver it to you if ordered within the time displayed.