Libraries and DVDs

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Matt

Re:

#26 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:11 pm

I moved the most recent posts in this thread from another thread and only just now went back to look at the posts at this top of the thread. I work at a college library, so I had to chuckle at how I would now answer this question:
Gigi M. wrote:Pardon my ignorance Matt, but how much do you regularly charge for renting/lending movies at your job? You see, here in my country we don't have such things as libraries.
Basically, it's like a club where it's free to borrow the DVDs, but the annual membership fee is $40,000.

Matt

Re: Libraries and DVDs

#27 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:15 pm

dustybooks wrote:My dream is to be permitted to actually create and maintain a large A/V collection at my own branch, but that's sort of a pipe dream given our budget.
It's increasingly a pipe dream with any budget. With the DVD market drying up and packaged streaming video replacing it, the role of the selector/curator is on the wane.

dustybooks

#28 Post by dustybooks » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:22 pm

Matt wrote:It's increasingly a pipe dream with any budget. With the DVD market drying up and packaged streaming video replacing it, the role of the selector/curator is on the wane.
You're right, and more's the pity. I'm not positive that's the will of the people, either. There's a profound disconnect between what I see at work -- where we possess not a single DVD that hasn't been checked out in the last six months (usually many times) -- and the visible rush to rid the world of physical media. Not to go back over this well-worn subject, but it's depressing.

kidc85

#29 Post by kidc85 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:41 am

Just for comparison, in the UK it is standard practice to charge for DVD rental in public libraries. Usually it's around £2.50 for a few days (that's $4), although this can vary. I live in London and have been round a fair selection of our libraries, none of which ever have a good selection, a few random Artificial Eyes is all you can hope for.