Looking for Mr. Goodbar (Richard Brooks, 1977)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
mwillyk

Re: Looking for Mr. Goodbar (Brooks, 1977)

#26 Post by mwillyk » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:53 pm

Whether you like Looking For Mr. Goodbar or not, it is a product of the 1970s, which in my humble opinion was the most daring and creative period in filmmaking history. I'm not into personal issues or political correctness; LFMG, for those with an open mind, forces people to confront uncomfortable psychological issues and personal prejudices. Its disturbing nature may be off-putting for those with a narrow-perspective, and the fact that it left the ending of the novel (written by a woman) intact is much more honest than Jane Campion's treatment of In the Cut, which tacked on a "happy" ending where in the novel the main character is literally in the process of being cut to pieces by the killer. LFMG should be on DVD for those who like thought-provoking films.

AnamorphicWidescreen

#27 Post by AnamorphicWidescreen » Mon May 06, 2013 11:53 pm

Just watched Looking for Mr. Goodbar for the very first time, and the film was incredible. IMHO, this was a great '70's nostalgia piece, regardless of whether or not you liked the story/acting. I had been wanting to see the film for years, and glad I finally did so. Especially enjoyed the montage beginning with the quick editing cuts, as well as the '70's-era music, which was almost over-lapping in some sequences.

The fantasy sequences were somewhat disorienting, until you realized what was going on.

It was a good idea to keep the horrible, downbeat ending from the Judith Rossner novel, instead of "Hollywood-izing" the film.

To those who saw this in the theater when it was released in Fall '77, I'm guessing it was a surprise to see Diane Keaton in a film like this, coming as it was on the heels of the iconic & completely different Annie Hall (released 6 months prior).

Too bad this film has never gotten a Region 1 DVD release - as others have said, I'm also guessing the music rights are what's holding this up. Too bad, since this really deserves a Criterion Collection Blu-ray/DVD....

Shrew
The Untamed One

#28 Post by Shrew » Wed May 08, 2013 3:16 pm

To those who saw this in the theater when it was released in Fall '77, I'm guessing it was a surprise to see Diane Keaton in a film like this, coming as it was on the heels of the iconic & completely different Annie Hall (released 6 months prior).
My parents actually saw Looking for Mr. Goodbar on their first date, because my mother had already seen Oh God!. There was awkwardness.

stroszeck

#29 Post by stroszeck » Wed May 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Its weird that a post would show up this week on this thread...i purchased the original soundtrack LP randomly from a thrift store on Sunday....eerie stuff!

Professor Wagstaff

#30 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Tue May 14, 2013 8:55 pm

AnamorphicWidescreen, I'm just curious to know how you ended up watching this and if it's streaming anywhere for viewing. While you were watching it and stroszeck was purchasing the soundtrack, I found myself reading Judith Rossner's novel last week and would like to compare them both if I can. Thanks.

Dylan

#31 Post by Dylan » Tue May 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Professor Wagstaff - I know that it has been broadcast a few times recently on HD channels in a remastered version.

Lowry_Sam

#32 Post by Lowry_Sam » Wed May 15, 2013 12:28 am

I would have much preferred this to Last Days Of Disco.