Humphrey Bogart Collections

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Gigi M.

#51 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:55 am

That's correct.

Derek Estes

#52 Post by Derek Estes » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:26 pm

Are the discs in the new set in snappers or Keep-case?

souvenir

#53 Post by souvenir » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:06 pm

Derek Estes wrote:Are the discs in the new set in snappers or Keep-case?
Casablanca and Sierra Madre are in digipaks like the existing releases. High Sierra and They Live By Night are in thinpaks.

jcelwin

#54 Post by jcelwin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:39 am

Thanks, Gigi M.

kekid

#55 Post by kekid » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:50 pm

Gigi M. wrote:My first set came without the the Falcon slipcover. I emailed Amazon and they send me a replacement with the complete Falcon packaging. You should try the same.
The replacement I got from Amazon is exactly like the first set I got (both without the slip-case for Maltese Falcon). Is this a completely random phenomenon? Any suggestion on what I can do to get the correct version? Thanks in advance.

Gigi M.

#56 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:54 am

kekid wrote:The replacement I got from Amazon is exactly like the first set I got (both without the slip-case for Maltese Falcon). Is this a completely random phenomenon? Any suggestion on what I can do to get the correct version? Thanks in advance.
Wow. I really don't know. I guess I was lucky with Amazon the second time.

Gigi M.

#57 Post by Gigi M. » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:43 pm

davidhare wrote: I actually much prefer the 36 William Dieterle version. Perhaps because in the course of having to tone down the adultery and homosexuality the writers also decide to shift the tone to comedy. For other devotees (IM sure there are many) I have to point out Wini Shaw in a small role as Astrid. And the inspired substitution of "Aunt" Alison Skipworth and boyfriend Maynard Holmes for Guttman and Wilmer.
I also prefer the 36 version, but didn't like the change of the falcon to a trumpet.

scotty

#58 Post by scotty » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:27 am

Is Passage to Marseilles as bad as DVD Savant (who likes everything) says it is?

Antoine Doinel

#59 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:18 pm

I just watched Passage To Marseilles recently and while DVD Savant is right in that it's essentially a fairly standard propaganda piece, there is certainly much to enjoy particularly if you're a fan of the Bogart/Greenstreet/Lorre/Rains team.

The political tone of the film is certainly dated, the flashback within a flashback narrative clumsy, and the scene in which Bogie guns down unarmed German soldiers appalling, but the story is breezy enough that the film is a pleasant way to spend an evening. I found that the first half of the picture worked exceptionally well. There is a particularly fine sequence with Bogart/Lorre and their ragtag bunch recounting their tale of escape to Rains; and pretty much everything until the crew return to England is enjoyable. Afterwards, the focus shifts off the rag tag crew and to Bogie's love story which is tepid at best.

But the real reason to put this disc in the your player - which I think has already been mentioned elsewhere - is for the excellent Jammin The Blues. Great footage, great players - just a fine slice of jazz from the era. Also, the doc detailing the complicated political situation in France during WWII isn't bad either -- certainly not as bad as DVD Savant made it out to be.

ByMarkClark.com

#60 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:05 pm

>>I actually much prefer the 36 William Dieterle version. <<

Surely you mean to the 1931. Not over the 1941!

Roger_Thornhill

#61 Post by Roger_Thornhill » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:52 pm

scotty wrote:Is Passage to Marseilles as bad as DVD Savant (who likes everything) says it is?
The cast alone makes it worth seeing (Bogart, Greenstreet, Rains, Lorre) and I personally enjoyed the excessively convoluted narrative. I know much is made of Bogart mowing down the downed Luftwaffe airmen, but the reality is that both sides did that all the time. I thought it was rather courageous for the studio to leave that in to give American audiences a tiny taste of the brutality of war. I don't think it's the worst film in the set as many reviewers have argued, that honor goes to Action in the North Atlantic, which, despite having spectacular action sequences for the time, cannot make up for it's vapid narrative and characters.

skuhn8

#62 Post by skuhn8 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:55 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:But the real reason to put this disc in the your player - which I think has already been mentioned elsewhere - is for the excellent Jammin The Blues. Great footage, great players - just a fine slice of jazz from the era. Also, the doc detailing the complicated political situation in France during WWII isn't bad either -- certainly not as bad as DVD Savant made it out to be.
Holy %#@$%!! Jammin the Blues is on this??!?!?! :shock: Lester Young and the recently departed Illinois Jacquet (who I had the pleasure of meeting after one of the JATP revivals some ten years ago) et al. I was holding off on this set but now may have to bend and sway and ...well... purhase.

Passage to Mars. is pretty damn painful; don't know if I'll ever be able to sit through that again though.

Scharphedin2

#63 Post by Scharphedin2 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:02 am

I have not seen the extras on this set, but I think the films are a lot of fun. They are all fairly standard studio productions, but they all have their qualities, and it is interesting (I watched all the films except Falcon over the course of a week) to note the change in Hollywood's/USA's involvement in the war during these years. In All Through The Night and Across The Pacific, the war is still treated as something very distant. The Japs and Nazis in these films are portrayed to some extent as rather bumpling characters, and the sense is that brave Americans, whether they be in the numbers racket or employed by the state, will have these upstarts sewed up and delivered in no time at all.

Action In the North Atlantic released the following year shows a much more real image of the threat, with Nazi u-boats picking off supply ships en route from America to Europe. The war had clearly become a reality for Americans at this point, and we are shown how it affects the domestic lives of those involved in it (in this case the merchant marine).

Once we get to Passage to Marseilles (1944), which of course concerns French characters, rather than Americans, the war has clearly become something seemingly endless that affects everyone, and there is a bitterness in this film that is not present in the other three (one symptom of which is the gunning down of the German soldiers).

The film I enjoyed the most was the latter. The casting and set of colorful characters goes without saying, but I also really liked the flashback within flashback structure. For the first half of the film, the story again and again took a ninety degree turn, as a new character came on the scene and began to tell his story. So, at the end of it, we have four levels of narrative going on, and even if this use of flashback has been done more elegantly by other directors, I still think it is effective and quite brave of Curtiz in the context of what is clearly a film meant for the regular movie-going audience. Additionally, I like the way that the film travelled, and some of the more precious touches, like Bogart delivering letters to his wife while being on bombing missions over Germany, and the photography (James Wong Howe) is excellent (especially in the scenes taking place on Devil's Island -- real sweathy tar blacks in the close-ups of the men). Bogart's performance also seemed a notch above that of the other films -- more real and more tortured.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Humphrey Bogart: The Signature Collections

#64 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:28 pm

So... both of these are OOP and the second volume is going for $100+

Antares

#65 Post by Antares » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:and the second volume is going for $100+
Damn ](*,)

manicsounds

#66 Post by manicsounds » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:20 am

I got my copy years ago, but have only watched The Maltese Falcon so far... kevyip kevyip kevyip...

Jeff

#67 Post by Jeff » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:19 pm

It appears that the reason for the previous collections going out of print was so that Warner could release this upcoming 24-film collection along with the Blu-rays of Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The Maltese Falcon.

Tom Hagen

Re: Humphrey Bogart Collections

#68 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:12 pm

Wow, those Blu covers are terrible!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#69 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:38 pm

Tom Hagen wrote:Wow, those Blu covers are terrible!
Maybe the worst covers I've ever seen from Warners.

Antares

#70 Post by Antares » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:15 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tom Hagen wrote:Wow, those Blu covers are terrible!
Maybe the worst covers I've ever seen from Warners.
You've got that right.

Napier

#71 Post by Napier » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:38 pm

From the penthouse to the outhouse. I'll probably only upgrade Treasure of the Sierra Madre to Blu. Eat yer' beans boys.

agnamaracs

#72 Post by agnamaracs » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:28 pm

"No further info," eh? These both have spectacular DVD versions. While Treasure's "Night at the Movies" extras might be completely ported (a la Robin Hood), I bet Falcon drops the earlier versions.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#73 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:34 pm

And if you have a bunch of Warner boxes, you probably already have all the Bogart titles in the box (ie nothing new there)

Napier

#74 Post by Napier » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:And if you have a bunch of Warner boxes, you probably already have all the Bogart titles in the box (ie nothing new there)
I literally, have a room full of Warner boxes. domino is psychic too.

Cinephrenic

#75 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:17 pm

They didn't stick with the original poster art as they did on the SE DVD for Sierra!!