Humphrey Bogart Collections

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jeff

Re: Humphrey Bogart Collections

#76 Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:57 am

agnamaracs wrote:"No further info," eh? These both have spectacular DVD versions. While Treasure's "Night at the Movies" extras might be completely ported (a la Robin Hood), I bet Falcon drops the earlier versions.
The official announcement with specs is up. Falcon does drop the earlier versions, but the other supplements, including the fantastic John Huston doc on Treasure of the Sierra Madre appear to be intact.

chrismagr

#77 Post by chrismagr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Next year is the Maltese Falcon's 70th anniversary. I will not be surprised if Warners release a collector's edition that includes the DVD with the previous versions

Finch

#78 Post by Finch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:16 pm

Beaver on the Sierra Madre Blu

Looks lovely!

skuhn8

#79 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:57 am

chrismagr wrote:Next year is the Maltese Falcon's 70th anniversary. I will not be surprised if Warners release a collector's edition that includes the DVD with the previous versions
Anyone else as completely unimpressed by M Falcon blu caps as I?

Napier

#80 Post by Napier » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:02 am

skuhn8 wrote:
chrismagr wrote:Next year is the Maltese Falcon's 70th anniversary. I will not be surprised if Warners release a collector's edition that includes the DVD with the previous versions
Anyone else as completely unimpressed by M Falcon blu caps as I?
Well, the blacks seem better and the contrast does too. I'll probably pick it up somewhere for under $20. I'll reserve my judgement after I see it motion.

What A Disgrace

#81 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:02 am

I wonder what it will take to get a Blu-ray of The Big Sleep, already.

Finch

#82 Post by Finch » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm undecided on the Falcon Blu as well: like Napier says, contrast and blacks are evidently stronger but it lacks the Wow factor of the Sierra Madre images. The SE DVD is worth holding on to for the 1931 version alone (found the Davis version terrible and I say that as a fan of Davis and Dieterle).

movielocke

#83 Post by movielocke » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:27 am

Sierra Madre was released a while back and probably had an 1080i master, so it probably had to be retelecined for bluray, new scanning technology, or a raw scan at 4k downconverted to 1080p would result in the detail improvement seen in this title.

Maltese Falcon probably already had a 1080p master and that was reused for the bluray. older scanning technology, and a 2k telecine cross-converted to 1080p would explain why there's not as big of a wow factor in the title.

But although oversampling would explain the difference, it may not be oversampling that results in the strong difference between the two. Film stocks were changing pretty regularly at the time, and the black and white stock used for Sierra Madre may have been a much higher quality level of fine grain than what was used earlier in the decade for Falcon.

johncarvill

Humphrey Bogart - Film by Flm

#84 Post by johncarvill » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:43 am

Thought this forum might like tio be aware of this thread, which is running through Bogart's movies in reverse chronological order.