DVD Collecting as a Hobby

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
nick
grace thought I was a failure

#51 Post by nick » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:09 pm

I have nearly my entire collection surrounding me, by running a single shelf right below the ceiling around the entire room. it's quite the impressive display.

This sounds impressive; however, how often do you have to clean off cobwebs?

cheers
nick

kieslowski_67

#52 Post by kieslowski_67 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:46 pm

SncDthMnky wrote: how do you guys show them off?
We purchased two sets of Danish bookcases (6 in total 72"x30") to store our DVD collection in the library on the main floor. Meanwhile, our book collection is downgraded to my wife's library on the second floor.
Last edited by kieslowski_67 on Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

criterionsnob

#53 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:17 pm

manicsounds wrote:Its funny to think I never bought VHS tapes (besides blank ones),
but I have over 500 dvds.....
I never bought movies on VHS either, but with this order, I just passed the 450 mark for DVDs.

I collect DVDs for the convenience of being able to watch whatever I feel like that night. I like having a big selection to choose from. Also, due to all of the special features on DVDs, it takes me a long time to finish a disc. Some nights I want to watch a whole feature, sometimes, I'll just watch some special features or listen to a comentary while I'm doing other things.

I also buy a lot of movies I've never seen or won't have a chance to see because I can't rent them in my city. If I don't like something, I'll sell it on Amazon and get back nearly what I paid for it.

It might take months or years, but eventually I'll watch everything I buy.

Everyone should be allowed at least one weird habit. This is mine.

toiletduck!

#54 Post by toiletduck! » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:23 pm

criterionsnob wrote:Everyone should be allowed at least one weird habit. This is mine.
Bingo.

Although Polish film and theatre posters is sneaking in slowly... might have to nip that one in the bud.

-Toilet Dcuk

oldsheperd

#55 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:32 pm

I've been tempted to sell my collection, but then I think of how bummed I was(and still am) when I sold my video collection.

Fletch F. Fletch

#56 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:35 pm

SncDthMnky wrote:lets now discuss our means of storage/display.

I have nearly my entire collection surrounding me, by running a single shelf right below the ceiling around the entire room. it's quite the impressive display.

how do you guys show them off?
Currently, I have 3 and half Ikea bookcases filled with DVDs and quickly eyeballing another one soon.

Cinesimilitude

#57 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:46 pm

nick wrote:

This sounds impressive; however, how often do you have to clean off cobwebs?

cheers
nick
well, I just put it up about a month ago, and haven't checked for dust since... I'll have to check that out. It was a brilliant idea, I must say. I still live with my family, and I have the biggest room in the house. But a full bed, a wardrobe, a bigscreen tv, a couch, and my dvd collection left me with literally nowhere to move around. Once I got them above me, it provided much needed walking space.

exte

#58 Post by exte » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:55 pm

criterionsnob wrote:Some nights I want to watch a whole feature, sometimes, I'll just watch some special features or listen to a comentary while I'm doing other things.

I have a collection over 400 dvds, and I too never collected films on vhs, only blank tapes for bootlegging blockbuster rentals...

Pertaining to the quote above, ever since I read an article about a young music director who listens to commentaries on his ipod, I've amassed a gigantic digital library of ripped commentaries on mp3s at 96kb. I now have 6+ dvds worth. Only in the last few days, however, have I finally listened to them on the road in my car.

My first selection is a cd full of Herzog commentaries, from the two Anchor Bay box sets out there. There's already a thread dedicated to the majesty of his voice, but I'll say he's a brilliant and inspiring storyteller as well... I just finished Aguirre yesterday and I'm 40 minutes into Cobra Verde... Anyway, my dvds are my passion. I think special features and commentaries go a long way for me.

Another specialty of mine, btw, is converting lost criterion laserdisc commentaries to mp3. I know members here would love to 'borrow' these tracks, but for the money I've pumped into collecting these off ebay, I resist the thought. Still, it would be nice if criterion put out a dvd of just 'lost laserdisc tracks' or something...

Also, not that you need to know this either, but I recently saw a real deficiency of tracks by Spielberg. I know he doesn't do commentaries, per se, but he has participated in extraordinary documentaries for his films that are sometimes feature length. So now I have ripped those, too, including the docs for Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders (from the making-of laserdisc), E.T. (from the signature laserdisc, NOT the dvd), Jurassic Park, and Saving Private Ryan.

Actually all of them are from their laserdisc counter parts, except Saving Private Ryan. Usually, if the doc was done for the laserdisc, I give it preference over a dvd doc. I don't know why, I just have this huge affinity for the old format. I guess because I never got in, or could afford to get in at the time it was in...

Often I'll use an audio editor to piece together segments, like the broken up parts for Saving Private Ryan. Also, this idea of ripping documentaries now have led me to ripping the Scarface and The Abyss documentary, which plays perfectly while doing other work. No visual required! And perhaps the biggest laserdisc documentary of them all, the Frighteners documentary was just ripped a few days ago...

I know some of you may roll your eyes, but God I love this! I may not have the time to listen to all of them, but I've listened to most. It's certainly my niche, I guess you could say. WHO GIVES GOOD COMMENTARY!

scotty

#59 Post by scotty » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:36 am

We purchased two sets of Danish bookcases (6 in total 72""x30") to store our DVD collection in the library on the main floor. Meanwhile, our book collection is downgraded to my wife's library on the second floor.
I could never give my books second place to anything, much as I love movies. You must have reached the breaking point space-wise.

porquenegar

#60 Post by porquenegar » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:42 pm

Well considering how much I used to spend on alcohol in my younger days, DVD collecting seems like a bargain.

milk114

#61 Post by milk114 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:29 am

I also have 400+ dvds and yet never bought vhs. But for me, I have OCD. So there are some dvds that will come home from DVDPlanet or ordered online that I never gave much thought to buying and there are others that I've been "pricing out" for years, trying to find the best deal. Because of money (like many) I've slowed down my buying and am even more selective now, but it still humors me (when I view my habits from afar) the selections I end up making.

But beyond buying, I find great satisfaction in sharing my films and love of films with others, as mentioned before. I've used libraries everywhere I've lived, and if I really like a film I've watched there for the first time, I've invariably bought it (McCabe & Mrs Miller, for example) and "turned on" my friends. I too don't have many "cineaste" friends and wouldn't consider myself one, but I have a general knowledge of world cinema and now, thanks to my dvd library, have access to world cinema. Most people I know who say "Im into foreign and independent films" are referring to amores perros and clerks. I like both movies. But there is a lot more out there. And a lot more in my collection.

The accessability aspect of ownership is part of my "collecting." But more importantly is that sharing component. Friends who'll bitch and moan about watching "another of your movies" will invariably end up quoting it or bringing up scenes, will remember it, far longer than the latest blockbuster, their normal viewing diet.

But writing this makes me wonder, what type of proportion of everyone's films are in different genres or eras or languages? I own almost no silent films anymore (sold off a bunch of them when I hit rock bottom). I own a few African films made from late 60s to present, but no Indian films (which is an area I want to grow). I own zero non-R1 b/c... I have no really good reason. I own few Hollywood blockbuster but of course many Criterion. I've never seen J-horror, but I'm aware of it. I wonder if distribution of content of our dvd libraries are somewhat consistant or vary greatly.[/i]

LightBulbFilm

#62 Post by LightBulbFilm » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:31 pm

I often feel disgusted with myself for owning so many DVDs... Because in fact it does go back to the same old "vault" idea. I LOVE film, there's no doubt about it, and I put film in front of DVDs of course... But there's something about bringing home a new film and making it apart of your collection... It's exciting and I'm sure it is for many other people than me.

I do agree that people spend WAY too much money on DVDs, but it's something they enjoy... So you shouldn't really criticize them. We all have our moments. Besides... Films are keeping all of us off the streets and away from drugs.... Right.... RIGHT!?

Kinsayder

#63 Post by Kinsayder » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:22 am

I collect both books and films, and while I'm happy to display my book collection prominently on shelves and in bookcases throughout my house, most of my DVDs and old VHS tapes are squirreled away like a guilty secret in drawers and cupboards in a spare room.

It's probably just snobbery, but I do feel there's something inherently unattractive about bookcases full of DVDs. Even if, like this guy, you've carefully arranged all your special edition severed monster heads along the top shelf.

Cobalt60

#64 Post by Cobalt60 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:27 am

Kinsayder wrote:
It's probably just snobbery, but I do feel there's something inherently unattractive about bookcases full of DVDs. Even if, like this guy, you've carefully arranged all your special edition severed monster heads along the top shelf.

I agree that bookcases full of DVDs are pretty ugly. Also, it almost always looks tacky when people display film related collectables on the same shelves as their DVDs. I would never hang my posters or display my masks next to the DVDs. It makes any room look like a 17 year old kids bedroom.

filmghost

#65 Post by filmghost » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:47 pm

LightBulbFilm wrote:I often feel disgusted with myself for owning so many DVDs... Because in fact it does go back to the same old "vault" idea. I LOVE film, there's no doubt about it, and I put film in front of DVDs of course... But there's something about bringing home a new film and making it apart of your collection... It's exciting and I'm sure it is for many other people than me.

I do agree that people spend WAY too much money on DVDs, but it's something they enjoy... So you shouldn't really criticize them. We all have our moments. Besides... Films are keeping all of us off the streets and away from drugs.... Right.... RIGHT!?

Hmmmmm....WRONG!

Nihonophile

#66 Post by Nihonophile » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:33 pm

speaking of storage, has anyone found a good alternative to shelving such as a container just for the discs that is easy to browse through, durable, and classy?