DVD Collecting as a Hobby

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Cinesimilitude

#26 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:57 pm

gigimonagas wrote:Now you're talking like a true man. Keep it up!!!
Are you saying that up until that post I was talking otherwise? I'm not offended or anything... It's just a little puzzling.
pianocrash wrote:I thank god every day that I do not own any dvds.
:shock:

GringoTex

#27 Post by GringoTex » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:17 pm

I own around a thousand dvds and the reason is very simple: I can watch any movie I want to whenever I want to. Seldom do I "plan" to watch a dvd- I put the kids to bed and suddenly, I feel like watching a Mann western. So I go downstairs and stick it in. Such viewing freedom is exhilarating.

EDIT: I should also add that I get a big thrill out of lending dvds to friends. I don't hang out with cinephiles too much anymore- most of my buds are blue collar types and latinos. They'll peer over my dvd shelf with a mystified look, until (without fail) their eyes brighten at a movie they recognize and love. Then I can't help but shove it into their hands. Just tonight, I lent a maintenance man La Dolce Vita because he saw it in the cinema in Peru back in 1960 and was ecstatic at the memory of it. I've lost a few dvds that way but it's worth it.
Last edited by GringoTex on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

franco

#28 Post by franco » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:18 pm

Now I wonder, how anyone can "plan" to stop buying DVDs when their number reaches a limit. Young and old filmmakers won't stop making sublime movies; thoughtful companies won't stop releasing them in the most respectful format. I guess one way to sustain a limit is to get rid of the DVDs whose appeal has expired in one's collection.
Gregory wrote:Not much for tact, are you?
My apology, Gregory. I meant to be facetious with my trolling comment, not expecting to start a whole thread with it. Nevertheless, I wholeheartedly agree with your explanations. From time to time, I'd like to think that I buy DVDs to express my support for the filmmakers, as well as for the DVD companies that make such great works of art available and alive for the present and future.
Last edited by franco on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GringoTex

#29 Post by GringoTex » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:19 pm

What a waste of gratitude.

Cinesimilitude

#30 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:43 pm

I dont think I'll ever stop collectiong movies, I just think 1000 is the number I'll be around when I start building up my HD collection. sorry for the misleading earlier post.

Cobalt60

#31 Post by Cobalt60 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:03 am

When I say I'm shooting for 500-700, I mean thats when I think I'll have a collection that I feel was really worth the effort and really a representation of my tastes and (somewhat) my personality, especially since I am selective in what I buy. DVDs are just one of the things that command the attention of my wallet.

Anonymous

#32 Post by Anonymous » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:19 am

I own about two dozen DVDS, about half of which are titles only (or best) available in regions other than 1.

Books, on the other hand...

Still, I *collect* nothing, and I would never consider owning books or movies (however few or many) a "hobby" as I find the term insulting, as if experiencing art is in any way similar to filling a binder with every US stamp issue, for example (which, unfortunately seems to be the MO for too many people, even on this board).

Of course, if I could afford to buy every title I wanted...

Antoine Doinel

#33 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:52 am

I think I have about 200 DVDs right now (not including box sets of which I have a few: Keaton, Lloyd, Cary Grant Collection). I honestly just buy movies that I've seen before and love and know I will rewatch more than once. Unfortunately my wallet currently doesn't allow for blind buys. I also go to the theater quite often as, until I get my own home theatre, is my preferred way to watch movies.

HerrSchreck

#34 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:17 am

GOD: (Wincing with warm washcloth over forhead) "How many times I gotta tellya kid--?" (yells into phone) "SORRY WRONG NUMBER!!!" (Slams hangup breaking receiver sending aspirin flying.)

Andre Jurieu

#35 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:46 am

God is kind of a douche bag.

Also, why does God need aspirin? So many questions...

manicsounds

#36 Post by manicsounds » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:48 am

Its funny to think I never bought VHS tapes (besides blank ones),
but I have over 500 dvds.....

Gigi M.

#37 Post by Gigi M. » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:09 am

SncDthMnky wrote:
gigimonagas wrote:Now you're talking like a true man. Keep it up!!!
Are you saying that up until that post I was talking otherwise? I'm not offended or anything... It's just a little puzzling.
:shock:
Of course not. I just thought that your post sounded like something my grandfather would say. Didn't mean anything by it.

HerrSchreck

#38 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:23 am

Andre Jurieu wrote:God is kind of a douche bag.

Also, why does God need aspirin? So many questions...
Daily morning greeting by an actual pianocrash, that happens to be thanking (tetragrammaton) for the absence of volountary behavior

=

migraine for (tetragrammaton). Requiring aspirin. And warm washcloth.

What other questions may we help you with today sir?

shumpy

#39 Post by shumpy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:38 am

I'm noticing an overwhelming majority of first-person singular responses here, which begs a question--are most of you hardcore collectors single? I finally married for the first time at 34, and moved in with my now-wife about a year ago, at which time we merged our DVD collections--the night we met, we bonded over our mutual admiration for the Nouvelle Vague, but despite similar passions the size of her DVD collection turned out to be a fraction of mine. The upside is that we've watched a number of my DVDs that I may have never revisited so quickly (if at all) based either on her desire to watch them for the first time or my desire to expose her to something I thought she'd love. It justifies the collection's existence.

The downside--and I say this with tongue only about halfway in cheek--is that the "integrity" of a collection almost undoubtedly suffers once it merges with another. For example, there's now a copy of fucking "Dogville" filed amongst my precious Ozu and Powell/Pressburger discs. Unacceptable!!

Andre Jurieu

#40 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:38 am

I understand the scenario you've constructed. I'll rephrase the question a bit.

Why would God need aspirin? I have my doubts that God stubs his toe, or gets a stomach ache after bad sushi, or gets cramps during her time of the month.

I guess it's kind of like the whole "could God create a donut so big that even he couldn't eat it?" line of questioning.
shumpy wrote:The downside--and I say this with tongue only about halfway in cheek--is that the "integrity" of a collection almost undoubtedly suffers once it merges with another. For example, there's now a copy of fucking "Dogville" filed amongst my precious Ozu and Powell/Pressburger discs. Unacceptable!!
Damn, love really doesn't conquer all.

HerrSchreck

#41 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:47 am

"and he hit's me with a left hook. No fist he had on, just a hook." Laughter. Applause. "I love this crowd!"

"Mr Youngman?"

"What izzit kid?"

"Why would they let a man into the ring if he had a hook instead of a boxing glove? Wouldn't that be dangerous and illegal?"

Rips off bowtite: "That's it I 'm done furthenight.." stalks off..

EDIT: you modified. Actually, there's two schools of though regarding the bigguy; he either wound up the playtoy people & patted them on the ass & set them out into the world saying "now you people make me proud!" having free will (resulting in headaches, toweled foreheads, intense disappointment, etc.) The other is that there is no such thing as free will and god cannot be let down because he cannot be surprised. In which case Hell is the biggest scam in the whole of the.. uh, Whole.

Cinesimilitude

#42 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:00 pm

one of the most important things about my collection to me, is that if DVD survives as long as VHS does (20 or 25 years) I will be able to raise my kids on only the best of what cinema has to offer. I've collected many childhood favorites and films varying in content from bambi to irreversible, so that I have something for them at every age to enjoy and learn about.

oh, and they're going to watch star wars in the order they were made, infact, I might not even let them watch the prequels...

oldsheperd

#43 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:14 pm

I have about 600 or so dvds. I think it's fun to every like four months to rearrange my stuff. With so many dvds you'll be shuffling through your stuff and be like"Hey, I forgot I had this." However, I'm really torn since I also starting collecting hockey jerseys just recently. My budget is always at a breaking point.

pianocrash

#44 Post by pianocrash » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:37 pm

I thank my dvd collection every day that I do not own any god.

Fletch F. Fletch

#45 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:11 pm

Like others have said, I like amassing a sizable DVD library so that when the mood strikes me I can pick out something to watch, be it a Bunuel movie or a couple episodes of Twin Peaks... It is that convenience as well as the drive to collect all the movies I would like that helps increase my film collection. My wife has a pretty decent selection, much of it Italian and J-Horror so it makes for a good mish-mash of stuff. Of course, now that we have a DVD burner it opens the possibilities to adding all kinds of obscurities we have on VHS as well...

nick
grace thought I was a failure

#46 Post by nick » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:40 pm

I think I'm closing in on the 400 mark. My wife doesn't have a problem with my collection as long as it does not hinder our savings and home repair plans. Also every once in a while I will pick up something for her that I personally have no interest in (just to keep her appeased). Her -and mine- only concern is where to put them all. I've already taken over three of her book shelves which have forced some rearranging and whatnot of various rooms.

This ever growing collection is purley for my own benefit; I don't have a single friend who is a fellow film buff so there is really nobody to show off to. This is actually reassuring sometimes when I am trying to remain unpretentious and true to my tastes (does that make sense?).

Cobalt60

#47 Post by Cobalt60 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:47 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:God is kind of a douche bag.
This ought to be the title of its own thread
Fletch F. Fletch wrote: a couple episodes of Twin Peaks...
But thanks to the bullshit getting the 2nd season released you only have 7 episodes to choose from

King Crimson

#48 Post by King Crimson » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:24 pm

People collect things. Why can't someone collect DVDs?

rwaits

#49 Post by rwaits » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:29 pm

Why can't they??

Cinesimilitude

#50 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:42 pm

lets now discuss our means of storage/display.

I have nearly my entire collection surrounding me, by running a single shelf right below the ceiling around the entire room. it's quite the impressive display.

how do you guys show them off?