Godzilla

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Pinback

#1 Post by Pinback » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:29 pm

vertovfan wrote:Has anyone seen the Region 4 Godzilla DVD? It's got both the original Japanese and the US versions. I'm sorely tempted...

I just got mine through CD-WOW at a very nice price. Seeing the original Japanese version, with complete subtitles, was a total revelation. I'm sure anyone else that's seen the original version after the Americanised film would be similarly impressed. Godzilla is an amazing film, really profoundly evocative of its time. I'd recommend the DVD to anyone, though it might be worth waiting to see what extras (if any) the BFI have lined up for their forthcoming release...

Jem

#2 Post by Jem » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:48 am

Does anyone know if the quality of the Eastern Eye release of Godzilla is good?

http://www.godzilla.com.au/

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#3 Post by Faux Hulot » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:14 am

analoguezombie wrote:That's why it's nice that the folks at Criterion take that in consideration when restoring a print. Like the way somethings were left in their clean up of Shadows b/c they were created in the camera, hairs and what nots.
I'm with you on the kudos but just to give credit where due, the outstanding restoration of Shadows was done by UCLA Film & Television Archive under the direction of Ross Lipman.

One of the more interesting restorations I've seen recently is Elaine May's Mikey & Nicky. One significant scene appears to have been color timed properly for the first time ever on Home Vision's DVD. The "behind the scenes of the restoration" feature on the disc even contains footage of the video colorist talking on the phone with the film's original DP to confirm his intentions; very nice. (FYI, be warned: DO NOT watch that feature before you see the actual film unless you want to witness some major spoilers).

Rufus T. Firefly

#4 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:36 am

Jem wrote:Does anyone know if the quality of the Eastern Eye release of Godzilla is good?
I have it but haven't watched it yet. But I put it in the DVD-ROM just to have a quick look. It's not digitally cleaned up, with faint scratches and marks. It looks sharp but contrast seems a little weak. It also looks like there are motion artefacts due to NTSC -> PAL conversion - some ghosting in fast movement. The US version on the same disc looks a little dupey by comparison.

filmfan

#5 Post by filmfan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:43 am

Just picked up the Region 4 "Special 50th Anniversary Edition: Two Movies On One Disc" of "Godzilla" ("Ishiro Honda's Original 1954 Masterpiece Plus 1956 US Godzilla:King of the Monsters") on the eastern eye imprint at my Local Brick and Mortar DVD Store.

DVD features listed are "50th Anniversary Special commerative booklet", "Original poster artwork", "Original Japanese trailer"

The link on the back of the container is www.easterneye.com.au

Ashirg

#6 Post by Ashirg » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:26 pm

Schkura

#7 Post by Schkura » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:29 pm

Just to give you an inkling of its company, Gojira will be brought to you by the producers of these other quality DVD offerings:

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/cat ... Id=1090161

HerrSchreck

#8 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:42 pm

Schkura wrote:Just to give you an inkling of its company, Gojira will be brought to you by the producers of these other quality DVD offerings:

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/cat ... Id=1090161
Heh heh heh... just by coincidence I'm settling in with these other two Americanized versions of Toho sleaze... KING KONG VS GODZILLA, & KING KONG ESCAPES. KONG is so bad the outfit is literally upsetting.

Paradise.

Lino

#9 Post by Lino » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:59 am

From DVDdrive-in:
Here's the scoop on the upcoming Godzilla DVDs from Classic Media! You may have already heard that they plan to release a 2-disc set of the original 1954 GOJIRA with the 1956 American version, GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS on September 5th with a SRP of $21.98. But on the same day, the company will also unleash a multi-disc set (6 or 7 discs, depending on the amount of gathered extras) which will include GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN, GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA, GHIDRAH THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER, GODZILLA VS. MONSTER ZERO, GODZILLA'S REVENGE and TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA. The set will include the American versions, as well as the original Japanese versions with English subtitles, and all titles will be remastered in anamorphic widescreen (except in the case of the original film and RAIDS AGAIN which will be full frame), and are promised to look pristine. There will be number of special features, including commentaries with Terry Morse Jr. (son of Terry Morse who wrote, directed and edited KING OF THE MONSTERS) and Patricia Saperstein (daughter of Henry Saperstein, head of UPA). The multi disc set has a SRP of $69.98. Classic Media assures us that the films will look spectacular and that these releases will satisfy even the most diehard Zilla fans! More information will follow, but a website (www.godzillaondvd.com) has been set up by them and will be updated on a regular basis.

Jeff

#10 Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:41 pm

Full announcement (with specs) for the Gojira/Godzilla set from Davis DVD:
The wait is finally over as the 400-foot mutant bad boy stomps his way onto Region 1 DVD for the first time ever! Classic Media and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release the complete, uncut Japanese original Gojira (Godzilla) on September 5th.

Featuring new high definition-mastered transfers, the two-disc set will include both the 1954 Toho film, as well as the re-edited 1956 US theatrical release, Godzilla: King of the Monsters (40 minutes were cut and 20 minutes of new scenes, starring Raymond Burr, were added in the US version). Bonus materials will include an audio commentary with Steve Ryfle, author of "Japan's Favorite Mon-star," and Ed Godziszewski, editor and publisher of "Japanese Giants" Magazine, a slideshow of original movie posters in multiple languages and a 16-page booklet with a history on the making of "Gojira" and how it was imported into the US and became "Godzilla." Retail is $21.98.

Monsieur Verdoux

#11 Post by Monsieur Verdoux » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:48 am

Has anyone had a look at the BFI one at all....?

HerrSchreck

#12 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:42 am

Monsieur Verdoux wrote:Has anyone had a look at the BFI one at all....?
Where do you think would be a good place to start? BFI thread?

Monsieur Verdoux

#13 Post by Monsieur Verdoux » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:08 am

HerrSchreck wrote:
Monsieur Verdoux wrote:Has anyone had a look at the BFI one at all....?
Where do you think would be a good place to start? BFI thread?
Tell you what... I never thought of that... seeing that a BFI DVD would actually be on the BFI thread #-o Thankyou for telling me the bleading obvious!! You should go on Mastermind.. your special subject is the bleading obvious.

Just considering what opinions were between this one and the BFI version.. as from what I have heard, it is a better version.
Last edited by Monsieur Verdoux on Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#14 Post by Buttery Jeb » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:12 am

I've heard conflicting word on whether there will be separate commentary tracks (by the same writers/critics) on both "Gojira" and "King of the Monsters," primarily from early specs leaked to various forums (I saw this over at Moebius' Asian Cinema forum).

Anyone know if there's a more comprehensive listing of extras available?

-BJ

Daze

#15 Post by Daze » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:20 pm

Gigi M.

#16 Post by Gigi M. » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:00 pm

planetjake

#17 Post by planetjake » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:28 pm

Would some-one like to educate me on the previous DVD releases of the Godzilla films up to this point? This new DVD+Boxset is supposedly composed of the ORIGINAL Japanese cuts, correct? I am aware that the ORIGINAL Godzilla was edited all to hell, but I was unaware of any other alternate cuts for the other Godzilla films. Is this Boxset rectifying this? What about the previously released Sony boxset?