Apocalypse Now on DVD and Blu-ray

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
zitherstrings

Re: Apocalypse Now on DVD and Blu-ray

#276 Post by zitherstrings » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:08 pm

The Digital Bits says:

"Before we dive into the release news this afternoon, we're getting a lot of reports from Canadian readers that their version of the Apocalypse Now Blu-ray (produced by Lionsgate but released by Maple Pictures in Canada) has problems, including missing booklets and incorrectly labeled discs. Maple is already recalling and repressing the discs and will be making the corrected versions available within a couple weeks. I've contacted them to get a customer service address for you, and they've asked me to have any Canadian readers having problems with the Blu-ray release to e-mail them at info@maplepictures.com. Please be sure to include your name, full mailing address and phone number. They'll be sending out the fixed discs as soon as possible. They seem like very nice people in the contact I've had with them, so I don't doubt they'll make it right for everyone."

perkizitore

#277 Post by perkizitore » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:55 pm

I wonder if and when this gets a UK release...

aox

#278 Post by aox » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:37 am

The 2-Disc has been reduced drastically in price, but it probably for a limited time. Great news for people that don't care about the Hearts of Darkness documentary.

$17.99

scubadonc

#279 Post by scubadonc » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:20 pm

DVDbeaver.com lists the Blu ray as region free. So UK viewers don't need to wait.

Jeff

#280 Post by Jeff » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:56 pm

I can't fathom why Lionsgate chose to package this in a case the height of standard dvd cases. It's a relatively minor complaint considering what an all-around amazing release this is, but it's still annoying. The case sticks up nearly an inch above all of my other Blu-rays, dwarfing even digibooks, Criterion digipaks, and other deluxe sets like Close Encounters. Like so:

aox

#281 Post by aox » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:05 pm

Jeff wrote:I can't fathom why Lionsgate chose to package this in a case the height of standard dvd cases.
I forgot about this and wanted to bring this up actually... is this the first time a BD has been packaged in a standard DVD case? It really couldn't be more annoying and wasteful.

stwrt

#282 Post by stwrt » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:32 am

Maybe Francis wanted to let everyone know his package was the biggest one in four counties.

andyli

#283 Post by andyli » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:58 am

aox wrote:is this the first time a BD has been packaged in a standard DVD case? It really couldn't be more annoying and wasteful.
Not the first time, I think. Warner has done it a lot. The Notebook Limited Edition is in a DVD-sized case. And I seem to remember that the Harry Potter Ultimate Editions are also taller than regular blu-rays?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#284 Post by swo17 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Are you guys actually arguing for a case height-to-width ratio of 1.29 over the more epic 1.43 afforded by DVD cases? [-X

Yes, this joke required the use of a ruler and a calculator.

CSM126

#285 Post by CSM126 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:52 pm

Dirty Dancing "Keepsake Edition" is a fucking shoebox* as far as oversized blu-rays go. Too bad it's the only way to get a good transfer of the movie.

*No, seriously, it opens like a shoebox, with the lid coming off the top.

Finch

#286 Post by Finch » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:37 pm

zedz

#287 Post by zedz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:39 pm

[tasteless]So does this mean that Hearts of Darkness finally got packaged with Apocalypse Now over the wrong director's dead body?[/tasteless]

flyonthewall2983

#288 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Bought the 2-disc a few days ago, and watched Redux and the new special features. I'm so glad I can say I saw it in the original framing because needless to say I felt a little cheated by watching the other versions. The interviews with Sheen and Milius are great. John is a great storyteller, and it comes through just watching his interview. Many may not agree with his gung-ho Republican view (even though it is awesome that he once said Rush Limbaugh should be "drawn and quartered") but he's a damn good screenwriter, whether it be films like this or his roles in smaller films like Jaws and Dirty Harry.

MyNameCriterionForum

#289 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:28 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:John [Milius] is a great storyteller, and it comes through just watching his interview. Many may not agree with his gung-ho Republican view (even though it is awesome that he once said Rush Limbaugh should be "drawn and quartered") but he's a damn good screenwriter, whether it be films like this or his roles in smaller films like Jaws and Dirty Harry.
And his Dillinger and - especially - Big Wednesday are excellent films.

eerik

#290 Post by eerik » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:45 am

UK: It looks like there will be theatrical rereleases for both Apocalypse Now and Hearts of Darkness coming in April from Optimum.

matrixschmatrix

#291 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:08 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Bought the 2-disc a few days ago, and watched Redux and the new special features. I'm so glad I can say I saw it in the original framing because needless to say I felt a little cheated by watching the other versions. The interviews with Sheen and Milius are great. John is a great storyteller, and it comes through just watching his interview. Many may not agree with his gung-ho Republican view (even though it is awesome that he once said Rush Limbaugh should be "drawn and quartered") but he's a damn good screenwriter, whether it be films like this or his roles in smaller films like Jaws and Dirty Harry.
I thought the Milius-ness of Dirty Harry was kind of disgusting- the man's not far from a fascist sometimes (Red Dawn and Judge Roy Bean, I'm looking in your direction) and I find it difficult to stomach his worldview when it comes to advocating unfettered violence in one way or another. As I recall, Milius came in later on the Dirty Harry script, and it felt (to me) like a pretty straightforward Siegel kind of movie with a lot of really unpleasant reactionary shit thrown in on top.

I was actually surprised to find out Apocalypse Now was Milius-scripted, since it's a favorite and I generally hate the man. I'm going to have to try my best not to see fascist bugbears all over the place next time I watch it.

oldsheperd

#292 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Let us not forget CONAN!!!

Highway 61

#293 Post by Highway 61 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:16 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:I was actually surprised to find out Apocalypse Now was Milius-scripted, since it's a favorite and I generally hate the man. I'm going to have to try my best not to see fascist bugbears all over the place next time I watch it.
Unlike Dirty Harry, I don't think you have to worry about his influence on Apocalypse Now. Although I imagine a right-winger like Milius would relish the character of Kilgore (or in Redux, the Frenchman who evokes Dien Bein Phu and asserts his right to stay in Vietnam), the film was shaped by so many people that the final product reflects a completely different worldview. Duvall's interpretation of Kilgore is basically a mockery of military fetishism.

The writer whose influence I'm more interested in is Michael Herr. Obviously he wrote the narration, but I'm sure that his contribution is deeper than that, and it's an aspect of the film that as far as I know has never been thoroughly discussed. The greatness of Apocalypse Now lies with the extraordinary product that Coppola and Murch created in the editing room (the so-so quality of Redux and the mess that is the bootleg cut speak to this), and I suspect that their conception of the film changed once they began working with Herr, who understood the war better than anyone else involved in the entire production.
Last edited by Highway 61 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrixschmatrix

#294 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:42 pm

That was the impression I had- it's hard to imagine anyone's conception of Apocalypse Now from before they started filming having much effect on how it turned out, given the way shooting happened.

Mr Sausage

#295 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:51 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:
flyonthewall2983 wrote:Bought the 2-disc a few days ago, and watched Redux and the new special features. I'm so glad I can say I saw it in the original framing because needless to say I felt a little cheated by watching the other versions. The interviews with Sheen and Milius are great. John is a great storyteller, and it comes through just watching his interview. Many may not agree with his gung-ho Republican view (even though it is awesome that he once said Rush Limbaugh should be "drawn and quartered") but he's a damn good screenwriter, whether it be films like this or his roles in smaller films like Jaws and Dirty Harry.
I thought the Milius-ness of Dirty Harry was kind of disgusting- the man's not far from a fascist sometimes (Red Dawn and Judge Roy Bean, I'm looking in your direction) and I find it difficult to stomach his worldview when it comes to advocating unfettered violence in one way or another. As I recall, Milius came in later on the Dirty Harry script, and it felt (to me) like a pretty straightforward Siegel kind of movie with a lot of really unpleasant reactionary shit thrown in on top.

I was actually surprised to find out Apocalypse Now was Milius-scripted, since it's a favorite and I generally hate the man. I'm going to have to try my best not to see fascist bugbears all over the place next time I watch it.
His script for Magnum Force, however, is directly against lawless, reactionary violence.

matrixschmatrix

#296 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Interesting- I was so turned off by Dirty Harry that I never watched any of the sequels. I'd be really happy to watch one that didn't make me feel ill, since I like Siegel a lot and there's a sort of braindead joy to Clint Eastwood in total action hero mode.

Highway 61

#297 Post by Highway 61 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:His script for Magnum Force, however, is directly against lawless, reactionary violence.
I'm torn about Magnum Force. It's one of the few action movie sequels with a purpose, and I admire that. But I can't quite pinpoint how sincere its intentions are. It seems almost too calculated a response to Dirty Harry's detractors, as though it were crafted by a public relations team to repair Eastwood's image in the eyes of liberal audiences.

oldsheperd

#298 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:45 pm

Highway 61 wrote:The writer whose influence I'm more interested in is Michael Herr. Obviously he wrote the narration, but I'm sure that his contribution is deeper than that, and it's an aspect of the film that as far as I know has never been thoroughly discussed. The greatness of Apocalypse Now lies with the extraordinary product that Coppola and Murch created in the editing room (the so-so quality of Redux and the mess that is the bootleg cut speak to this), and I suspect that their conception of the film changed once they began working with Herr, who understood the war better than anyone else involved in the entire production.
Interesting that you brought up Herr. I just started reading Dispatches last week.

stwrt

#299 Post by stwrt » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:21 pm

I've read Heart of Darkness a couple of times. Clearly it is a huge influence on Apocalypse Now but I feel many would be surprised how much closer the movie is to Michael Herr's Dispatches, particularly the Do Long bridge sequence of the movie. Michael Herr wrote the narration script for the movie; anyone who has read his book will see it is as big an influence on Apocalypse Now as the Conrad novella

MyNameCriterionForum

#300 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:37 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:

I think the word you're looking for to describe Milius is "jingoist," not "fascist." And dude, RELAX -- it's just a film, not actual foreign policy, yo. Maybe when Democrats (or whichever bipolar-partisan-party you may favor) stop dropping as many bombs as Republicans, your rage will make sense; until then, it's all the same bunch of folks pressing the button.

And how do you know it's not the residue of Terry Malick's work on Dirty Harry that you find so offensive?

Anyway, films like Saving Private Ryan are far more wretched as they're little more than pro-war films tempered with a little white-liberal hand-wringing. At least Dirty Harry doesn't pretend otherwise (it's also far more entertaining).