A History of Violence

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
blindside8zao

#1 Post by blindside8zao » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:35 pm

"DVD Active reports that the David Cronenberg thriller will be available to own from the 28th February, and should set you back around $28.98. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with both English Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 Surround tracks. Extras will include a feature commentary by director David Cronenberg, a deleted scene with commentary by director David Cronenberg, an Acts of Violence documentary, and a Violence's History: United States Version vs. International Version featurette. Completing the package will be an Unmaking of Scene 44 featurette, a Too Commercial for Cannes featurette, and the films theatrical trailer." -Bloody-disgusting.com

Joe Buck

#2 Post by Joe Buck » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:33 pm

I thought this movie was pretty good. Sort of a weird cross between Mystic River and Walker Texas Ranger.

Oedipax

#3 Post by Oedipax » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:38 pm

Anyone know what was different about the international version?

a7m4

#4 Post by a7m4 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:23 am

Oedipax wrote:Anyone know what was different about the international version?
I've been wondering the same thing. I didn't even know there were two versions until I saw the specs for the DVD this morning. I tried to search on the internet but I couldn't find anything. For such a high profile and widely praised film you would think someone would have mentioned something. I wonder which version was shown at Cannes.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#5 Post by dekadetia » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:18 am

Oedipax wrote:Anyone know what was different about the international version?
Maybe I'm totally wrong about this, but I took that to mean that this is some piece not about the movie, but about violence itself in America vs. in other countries. Probably wrong, but again, who has heard anything about an international version, or MPAA problems for that matter?

justeleblanc

#6 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:22 pm

They had a choice of 4 for a while on davisdvd.com. Personally, I didn't really dig any of the ad campaign for this movie.

blindside8zao

#7 Post by blindside8zao » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:55 pm

wish they would have gone with the poster. The DVD cover is atrocious and will in no way help bolster DVD sales. Maybe the "edge-of-your-seat" part might. Eh.

Oedipax

#8 Post by Oedipax » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:40 am

Things just got worse!

Lino

#9 Post by Lino » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:13 am

Excuse me while I grab my barf-bag...UGH!

ben d banana

#10 Post by ben d banana » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:39 am

I really hate to gripe about DVD covers, but to go from one of the year's finest posters to that just plain sucks ass. Why don't they give Viggo a speech bubble saying "Two Thumbs Up!" while they're at it?

Gordon

#11 Post by Gordon » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:42 pm

Crikey! Are New Line still using that hilarious "Platinum Series" banner! Ha-ha! That's an awful pic of Vigo, too.

jcelwin

#12 Post by jcelwin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:22 pm

A shame with such an excellent poster. One that would suit a DVD cover so well, and also spark interest in potential viewers.

rwaits

#13 Post by rwaits » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:50 pm

Yeah, that's butt-ass ugly.

denti alligator

#14 Post by denti alligator » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:52 pm

I'm actually considering not buying this, just because of the cover, even though this was one of my favorite films of the year.

Ok, so I'll buy it and find some fan-art cover to replace it. But really, this is ridiculous.

Wittsdream

#15 Post by Wittsdream » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:46 pm

Agreed, that is one of the most reprehensible-looking covers for an important film I've seen in awhile (well, at least since Criterion's Viridiana) :lol: I'm probably going to buy the film anyway, and replace New Line's abomination with a customized cover sleeve based on the original poster artwork using my own software program.

denti alligator

#16 Post by denti alligator » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:53 pm

Wittsdream wrote:Agreed, that is one of the most reprehensible-looking covers for an important film I've seen in awhile (well, at least since Criterion's Viridiana) :lol: I'm probably going to buy the film anyway, and replace New Line's abomination with a customized cover sleeve based on the original poster artwork using my own software program.
Please share if yours comes out nicely. :)

The Invunche

#17 Post by The Invunche » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:59 pm

A software program? Damn.

blindside8zao

#18 Post by blindside8zao » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:31 pm

at least this one doesn't read "an edge-of-your-seat thriller"

jorencain

#19 Post by jorencain » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:30 pm

The Invunche wrote:A software program? Damn.
I have to admit, sometimes you crack me up, man.

Anonymous

#20 Post by Anonymous » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:07 am

i'm glad to see i'm not alone in hating the artwork for this dvd

dx23

#21 Post by dx23 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:38 pm

Coming on Blu Ray 2/10/09:
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE

A History of Violence, the tough, groundbreaking film from director David Cronenberg, with a screenplay by Josh Olson, also debuts on Blu-ray. The movie stars Viggo Mortensen, William Hurt, Ed Harris and Maria Bello and was nominated for two Oscars -- Best Supporting Actor (Hurt) and Best Screenplay.

A History of Violence will sell for $28.99 SRP. Orders are due January 6, 2009.

About The Film

A History of Violence (2005)
Everyone has something to hide. This is the story of a mild-mannered man named Tom Stall (Mortensen) who lives a happy and quiet life with his lawyer wife (Bello) and their two children in the small town of Millbrook, Indiana. One night their idyllic existence is shattered when Tom foils a vicious attempted robbery in his diner and becomes a local hero through this act of violence. The resulting media spotlight unwittingly changes the lives of Tom and his family in ways they never could have foreseen.

Special Features:

· Feature commentary with director David Cronenberg
· Violence’s History: United States version vs. International version - A look at scenes that were altered for violence in the United States
· Too Commercial for Cannes - This piece follows the cast and crew to Cannes for the film’s showing
· Acts of Violence - A look at several central scenes within the movie
Act 1 – Random
Act 2 – American Hero
Act 3 – Bully
Act 4 – Eye for an Eye
Act 5 -- Lies
Act 6 — Gangster Sex
Act 7 — Sibling Rivalry
Act 8 — Hope
Additional footage
Scene 44 with optional commentary by director David Cronenberg
The Unmaking of Scene 44 - Featurette detailing the creation of Scene 44
Trailers
Theatrical trailer

OSCAR BLU-RAY HI-DEF PROMOTION
Street Date: February 10, 2009
Order Due Date: January 6, 2009

A History of Violence
Run Time: 96 Minutes
Dolby TrueHD
Rated R
$28.99 SRP

hearthesilence

Re: A History of Violence

#22 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:06 pm

May have been covered in other various posts, but the U.S. Blu-Ray is considered one of the absolute worst, completely smothered in DNR. I have it and it's unwatchable, everything (and every PERSON) looks so waxy that it actually takes me out of the film, I can't get into it.

The UK Blu-Ray was allegedly better so I bought it and lo and behold, it is. It looks like it originated from the same HD transfer, but without the DNR processing. In other words, much, much better, but it is still a very dated transfer, on par with any other 'good' BD that was released in 2005 or 2006 when the format was launched. You can see this in the grain alone - a 4k transfer with much finer grain detail would look a lot better. The first shot/first scene of the film still looks pretty crummy, but at least it doesn't look plastic. So not great, but for its vintage, it isn't bad at all, certainly much more acceptable than the current (and only) BD release of this title in the U.S.

hearthesilence

Re: A History of Violence

#23 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:37 pm

Ah, I think this may be why the U.S. Blu-Ray and U.K. Blu-Ray would look so different. Apparently the U.S. version was censored (albeit minimally) with two shots tweaked to show a little less blood. This is even explained in a bonus feature included in all Blu-Ray editions around the world. Most likely the U.K. distributor just did a whole different transfer for this reason alone - so that they can put out the version originally seen in the U.K,, not the U.S. Nothing to do with a conscious attempt at showing the film without DNR.