Tennessee Williams Film Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
devlinnn

#51 Post by devlinnn » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:52 pm

Wonderful to note the absence of a Richard Schickel commentary from this set, especially Streetcar.

Solaris

#52 Post by Solaris » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:57 pm

Night of the Iguana has commentary by John Huston??
Shall be interesting.........

Lino

#53 Post by Lino » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:40 am

Jeff wrote:Full specs from DVD Times. Let the squealing begin, Annie.
Thank you so much, Jeff! And if that isn't already the boxset of the year, it comes pretty close. Absolutely fantastic extras - I really couldn't ask for anything more. It's close to perfection!

Lino

#54 Post by Lino » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:07 pm

Solaris wrote:Night of the Iguana has commentary by John Huston??
Shall be interesting.........
Technically, Walt Disney is also dead but that didn't prevent him from doing an audio-commentary on the Fantasia DVD... :wink:

Floyd

#55 Post by Floyd » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:56 pm

This is not on the level of the Peckinpah box set for me but it is not that far off. Looks to be great.

tavernier

#56 Post by tavernier » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:31 pm

New release date is now May 2, 2006.....here's the press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THE TENNESSEE WILLIAMS
FILM COLLECTION DEBUTS MAY 2
A Streetcar Named Desire New 2-Disc Special Edition
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof Deluxe Edition
- Both Digitally Remastered -
Sweet Bird of Youth
Baby Doll
The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone
Night of the Iguana
- Remastered and New to DVD -
Tennessee Williams' South
Revealing Rarely-Seen Feature Documentary Available
as Part of Boxed-Set Collection

Stars include young Marlon Brando, Elizabeth Taylor, Vivien Leigh, Paul Newman, Richard Burton, Ava Gardner, Deborah Kerr, Geraldine Page and Warren Beatty

Extras Include Insightful New Making-Of Documentaries for Each Film, Expert Commentaries, Rare Screen Tests, Film/Audio Outtakes, Spotlight on Marlon Brando and More

Burbank, Calif. – The Tennessee Williams Film Collection -- an eight-disc DVD set containing the acclaimed film adaptations of one of America's greatest playwrights – debuts May 2 from Warner Home Video. The collection, priced at $79.92 SRP, features the long-awaited DVD debuts of Sweet Bird of Youth, Night of the Iguana, Baby Doll and The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone along with a newly remastered two-disc Special Edition of A Streetcar Named Desire and single disc Deluxe Edition of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Also included is a bonus disc, the rarely seen feature-length documentary, Tennessee Williams' South. A Streetcar Named Desire is available for $26.99 SRP. All other individual titles are available for $19.97 SRP each.

Lino

#57 Post by Lino » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:16 pm

One more month... :roll:

godardslave

#58 Post by godardslave » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:40 pm

they should do a digipak or thinpaks.

go-on warner you can do it!

Lino

#59 Post by Lino » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:33 pm

godardslave wrote:they should do a digipak or thinpaks.
Digipaks would be kind of unpractical (I would need a whole corridor floor to lay it down...) but thinpaks would be great (thought I don't see Warner doing it as yet or even ever).

Our DVD shelves are sure looking cluttered, aren't they just?

Lino

#60 Post by Lino » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:20 pm

The official artwork is taking awful long...I wonder why. It's now been almost over a month that the press release has been out...It shouldn't take this long to copy and paste those original posters onto the DVD covers...

Ashirg

#61 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:12 pm

Lino

#62 Post by Lino » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:40 am

Seems I was right on the money again about the covers. But what I really love about the new artwork is the boxset design: be-au-ti-ful! Finally, they're starting to get things right!

shirobamba

#63 Post by shirobamba » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:26 am

Annie Mall wrote:Seems I was right on the money again about the covers. But what I really love about the new artwork is the boxset design: be-au-ti-ful! Finally, they're starting to get things right!
Hmmmm...? Taste is a very subjective beast. (lol)

Lino

#64 Post by Lino » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:28 am

Does anyone know if Cat will have a remastered transfer? I see no mention of that anywhere and although the current version is pretty good, there's always room for improvement what with all the new technologies being made today. Fingers crossed that it is.

tavernier

#65 Post by tavernier » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:28 am

the price for the Tennessee Williams Collection has been changed to $68.92.

Lino

#66 Post by Lino » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:52 am

An $11 drop? That is good news. And maybe this is further evidence that it will be packaged in slim cases as mentioned in another thread. We'll see.

Gigi M.

#67 Post by Gigi M. » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:19 pm

Annie Mall wrote:An $11 drop? That is good news. And maybe this is further evidence that it will be packaged in slim cases as mentioned in another thread. We'll see.
... and with a 30% off ($47.99), comes to $8 a piece. Not to shabby.

Michael

#68 Post by Michael » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:41 pm

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof was on TCM last night. Watched it for the first time and loved it.. mainly for the way the luminous Liz prances about inside that big house. Very sexy. Not being familiar with the play, I kept wondering why Brick kept his distance from Maggie especially when she was so hot and right in her prime....

But after considering about Williams' tendency to deal with "the Other" in most of his plays, didn't the film (like Kazan's Streetcar Named Desire) bypass or skip over Brick's love for that dead best friend?

Lino

#69 Post by Lino » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:00 pm

Michael wrote:Cat on a Hot Tin Roof was on TCM last night. Watched it for the first time and loved it.. mainly for the way the luminous Liz prances about inside that big house. Very sexy. Not being familiar with the play, I kept wondering why Brick kept his distance from Maggie especially when she was so hot and right in her prime....
The gay theme was toned down for the movie. It was explicit in the play or at least more explicit than in the movie (haven't read it). As most of Tennesse Williams film adaptations were.

Michael

#70 Post by Michael » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:04 pm

I'm not sure if the film really toned down the gay theme..bleaching itself of the gay theme is more like it. I'm going to look for the play today.

Lino

#71 Post by Lino » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:54 am

Gary over at the Beaver has started to review the set (by far my most eagerly awaited this year) and the results are stellar:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview ... review.htm

Warner, you're tops!

tavernier

#72 Post by tavernier » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:51 pm

Annie Mall wrote:Gary over at the Beaver has started to review the set (by far my most eagerly awaited this year) and the results are stellar:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview ... review.htm

Warner, you're tops!
Just got it today and looked through it quickly.....looks like another topnotch Warner set!

Lino

#73 Post by Lino » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:49 am

DVDTalk reviews Sweet Bird of Youth:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=21283

and A Streetcar Named Desire:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=21282

Michael

#74 Post by Michael » Tue May 02, 2006 9:48 pm

Finally watched Baby Doll for the first time tonight....three words: I loooooooved it!!

Carroll Baker will blow you away .. so far away that you will never be able to find your way back. That long shot of Mr. Vaccaro and Baby on the swing.. BRILLIANT! Don't you love the black guys loitering about the house? So funny. What about Aunt Rose?!

Now I need to find Boom!.. the only Tennesee Williams remaining for me to watch.

Lino

#75 Post by Lino » Wed May 03, 2006 3:45 am

My set is on the way and I'm itching for it to arrive! Haven't yet seen Baby Doll but I had a feeling it was going to be good - glad you liked it, Michael! Am sure I will too.

Also need to catch up on Boom! - I constantly dream it being announced with a John Waters commentary track on it. Fingers crossed for that one! Waters is the world's biggest fan of that movie.

David, can you convince me to blind buy Rose Tattoo, the other Tennessee Williams not on the Warners set? It stars Anna Magnani and I keep reading nothing but great stuff about it...