Claire Denis on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Mise En Scene

Re: Claire Denis on DVD

#101 Post by Mise En Scene » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:39 pm

According to this blog, Strand is releasing Nenette et Boni in May.

Gregory

#102 Post by Gregory » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:06 am

Mise En Scene wrote:According to this blog, Strand is releasing Nenette et Boni in May.
Hrmm. I have only seen this on the New Yorker VHS -- a powerful film despite looking awful. I hoped that when it debuted on DVD with English subtitles it would look significantly better, but I suppose we shouldn't dare hope for something like a progressive transfer on this.

reassurance

#103 Post by reassurance » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:18 am

That was my blog which mentioned the Strand disc of Nenette et Boni. I got that directly from Amazon.com. I know nothing of the transfer or of any special features, or if Strand has any plans for further Denis titles.

accatone

#104 Post by accatone » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:28 am

Arte TV stream Durch die Nacht mit: Claire Denise & Jeff Mills http://plus7.arte.tv/de/detailPage/1697 ... 24834.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this will only be up there for a week.

Oedipax

#105 Post by Oedipax » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:06 pm

Received the Strand Nenette et Boni today. Quality is not too hot. In fact, the transfer looks pretty much like the last copy I saw, which was VHS-sourced if I remember correctly, in terms of sharpness/contrast/color/etc. It's 16x9 and interlaced. DVD5. Only a trailer for the extras. Oh, and the subtitles are burned in.

Bleh. Has anyone seen the Cahiers du Cinema 2-disc set with No Fear, No Die? Are those 16x9 progressive transfers? I know they don't have English subtitles, but that's what PC subtitle programs are for. This is a pretty poor release for such a lovely film after such a long wait for a DVD.

Mise En Scene

#106 Post by Mise En Scene » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Which DVD of 35 Shots of Rum do you folks recommend? The Drakes Avenue (Amazon UK) or Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (Amazon France)? Does the latter have English subtitles? I know the Drakes does.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#107 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:42 pm

There are no subtitles of any sort on the french release

Mise En Scene

#108 Post by Mise En Scene » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:24 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:There are no subtitles of any sort on the french release
Thanks for the tip.
david hare wrote:The UK disc is a lovely transfer, an ideal SD - I just wish they had looked at HD for the film.
Much appreciated. Will head over to Amazon after I log off.

criterionsnob

#109 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:39 am

My local cinematheque projected 35 Rhums on DVD last night. I was so disappointed it wasn't a 35mm print. IMDB states 35mm prints exist. Can anybody tell me if this is true or have other theatres been screening this on DVD as well? Pretty disappointing as I thought it was an out-and-out masterpiece and their DVD projector was terrible.

knives

#110 Post by knives » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:36 am

Yes, it's on 35mm most places. Or at least my theater had it as such.

franco

#111 Post by franco » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:23 pm

criterionsnob wrote:My local cinematheque projected 35 Rhums on DVD last night. I was so disappointed it wasn't a 35mm print. IMDB states 35mm prints exist. Can anybody tell me if this is true or have other theatres been screening this on DVD as well? Pretty disappointing as I thought it was an out-and-out masterpiece and their DVD projector was terrible.
Where are you in Canada? The Vancouver International Film Centre (home to VIFF) also projected it on DVD. I'd assume that it's a budget reason... or maybe rights. Our city also showed Police, Adjective in DigiBeta.

criterionsnob

#112 Post by criterionsnob » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:33 am

Yup, Canada. The manager claimed that "more and more films are being shot and finished on digital and we may be forced to continue screening on DVD." What the fuck? She failed to mention the film I was talking about was in fact completed on 35mm. Total bullshit. I guess that's what I get for living in the middle of nowhere.

whaleallright

#113 Post by whaleallright » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Not to mention that those films shot in digital are likely to have been shot in HD, not the SD of a DVD projection. DVDs were simply not designed for projection on a large screen. The smaller size and resolution of standard-definition televisions was taken into account when determining compression levels, etc.

Notoriously, house managers for cinemas can be obfuscatory when they're not defensive, even in the best of times. Many are now taking advantage of the confusions attending the "digital transition" to hoodwink customers (or maybe they've been hoodwinked themselves?). "Art cinemas" (such as they are nowadays) hardly seem to be an exception to this. Apparently even Film Forum has switched out 35mm for DVD without posting the information for patrons.

Pretty despicable, honestly, and probably not in the theaters' long-term interests: you'd think they'd want to make the advantages of seeing films in a cinema clear to customers, and not blur the distinction with home viewing....

NilbogSavant

#114 Post by NilbogSavant » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:26 am

Reminds me of a few years ago when I went to my local "arthouse theater" to see Army of Shadows. I expected it to be the 35mm print that Rialto was touring but it turned out to be a "digital download" (I only found out after asking afterward if it was the DVD) that looked far worse than the R2 DVD I had at home.

vogler

Re:

#115 Post by vogler » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 pm

Does anyone know if this dvd of J'ai pas sommeil at amazon.fr is the Arte DVD. It says "Studio : Gie Sphe-Tf1" but I suppose that's probably a distributor or parent company or something like that. Also can anyone confirm that it's got English subs. I don't really need them personally, but I'll be watching it with someone who does and I don't want to have to translate the whole film as it plays.

Ovader

Re: Re:

#116 Post by Ovader » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:30 pm

vogler wrote:Does anyone know if this dvd of J'ai pas sommeil at amazon.fr is the Arte DVD. It says "Studio : Gie Sphe-Tf1" but I suppose that's probably a distributor or parent company or something like that. Also can anyone confirm that it's got English subs. I don't really need them personally, but I'll be watching it with someone who does and I don't want to have to translate the whole film as it plays.
Chalet lists English subs.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#117 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:55 am

I own this DVD and can confirm that the film is subtitled in English. An incredible film...

vogler

#118 Post by vogler » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to grab this DVD as soon as I can. I just wish the pound wasn't so worthless at the moment.

J'ai pas sommeil is the last of the currently available Claire Denis films I've yet to see. I only seriously got into her work a few months ago and I can't think of many other directors whose work has blown my mind in such an extraordinary way in such a short space of time (maybe Terayama, Oshima and Ruiz).

Duncan Hopper

#119 Post by Duncan Hopper » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:12 am

Check out 'White Material' when it gets a release, it's one of her best for sure.

Any ideas who's picked it up for a UK release?

zedz

#120 Post by zedz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:24 pm

vogler wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm going to grab this DVD as soon as I can. I just wish the pound wasn't so worthless at the moment.

J'ai pas sommeil is the last of the currently available Claire Denis films I've yet to see. I only seriously got into her work a few months ago and I can't think of many other directors whose work has blown my mind in such an extraordinary way in such a short space of time (maybe Terayama, Oshima and Ruiz).
It doesn't have subs, but if you're ordering French discs you might want to track down the Cahiers twofer with S'en fout la mort and Nenette et Boni. The former is a key film, and its prospects of an uncut UK release are practically nil (US may be a better bet, since it came out on VHS there), and I understand the quality of the Nenette transfer is superior to the recent US release.

vogler

#121 Post by vogler » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:02 pm

I didn't know there was a French DVD of Nénette et Boni. Now I really wish I hadn't bought that crappy US DVD, but that's what ebay is for I suppose. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to grab that set when I've got a bit more cash.

I'm hoping New Wave Films will pick up White Material for a U.K. DVD release. They did a great job with 35 rhums.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#122 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:11 pm

vogler wrote: I'm hoping New Wave Films will pick up White Material for a U.K. DVD release. They did a great job with 35 rhums.
I think I remember seeing it as an Artificial Eye acquisition

vogler

#123 Post by vogler » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:44 pm

I did a quick google search which confirmed you are right. Artificial Eye will do nicely too. Definitely looking forward to this one.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#124 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Me too, did your search give you a UK release date I couldn't find it. In 2 weeks in France on general release.

vogler

#125 Post by vogler » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:12 pm

Friday 2nd July 2010 according to this link.