Universal: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
dx23

Universal: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection

#1 Post by dx23 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:12 am

From www.davisdvd.com:
Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection

Hot off the presses... Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection for release on October 4th. The fifteen (!) disc set will include the current special editions of Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, Rope, Rear Window, The Trouble With Harry, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, Psycho, The Birds, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy and Family Plot, along with an exclusive bonus disc with special features TBA. The set is rounded out with a collectible Hitchcock book. Retail is $119.98.
Another fuck you by Universal. Where are the anamorphic transfers of Psycho, Vertigo and Rear Window? Where is Alfred Hitchcock Presents? If I already bought 13 of the 14 releases, how the hell do I get a bonus disc, the Hitchcock book, or the cardboard box, ala LOTR extended editions?

Is it so hard to re-release those disc with anamorphic transfers in their new Legacy series? And some still wonder why Universal is on many people shitlist.

unclehulot

#2 Post by unclehulot » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:42 pm

One could hope it's not accurate....the boobs writing copy for Universal don't seem to ever know how many discs are in upcoming boxed sets, but it doesn't surprise me.

Frankly, I was stunned to hear of the upcoming anamorphic SE To Kill a Mockingbird.

Where the hell is Double Indemnity!

emcflat

#3 Post by emcflat » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:51 pm

YES! I knew if I held out something would happen. They discontinued the best of Vol 1 & 2 sets earlier this year, so I can't say I didn't smell this coming. Further proof that it pays to be suspicious...
Special features on extra disc are listed as: "Masters of Cinema: Alfred Hitchcock; AFI Salute to Alfred Hitchcock"
Last edited by emcflat on Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

#4 Post by Jeff » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:49 pm

dx23 wrote:Where is Alfred Hitchcock Presents?
It's coming around the same time, and will probably be announced soon. Universal is planning a big Hitch promotion for the end of the year.
dx23 wrote:If I already bought 13 of the 14 releases, how the hell do I get a bonus disc, the Hitchcock book, or the cardboard box, ala LOTR extended editions?
Yeah, it's unfortunate, but at least the box is incredibly cheap. MSRP is only $8.00 per disc, and that will probably go to $6.00 or $7.00 per disc by the time it is discounted for retail. You can probably sell your existing discs for $5.00. Since you already have 13 of the discs, I don't know if you would be able to justify it or not. I've only bought five of the films so far though, so this is an easy purchase for me. I really wish that they had revisited the Psycho and Vertigo transfers (Rear Window is already anamorphic), and hopefully they'll change the repugnant cover art from the previous sets...if not, I'll be hanging on to my ancient Psycho and Vertigo discs that have the poster art.

Kristoffer4

#5 Post by Kristoffer4 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:51 pm

dx23 wrote:Another fuck you by Universal. Where are the anamorphic transfers of Psycho, Vertigo and Rear Window? Where is Alfred Hitchcock Presents? If I already bought 13 of the 14 releases, how the hell do I get a bonus disc, the Hitchcock book, or the cardboard box, ala LOTR extended editions?

Is it so hard to re-release those disc with anamorphic transfers in their new Legacy series? And some still wonder why Universal is on many people shitlist.
So typical Universal! But I bet they spend the money on a remaster for American pie instead! #-o ](*,)

jcelwin

#6 Post by jcelwin » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:55 pm

Looks like the same films that are in the two R4 Universal Hitchcock sets. I wish that someone would start releasing the rest of Hitchock's films that are yet to have good releases.

emcflat

#7 Post by emcflat » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:55 pm

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/emcflat@s ... m=5558.jpg

Link to a image of the cover art. Should work...

Kambei

#8 Post by Kambei » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:03 pm

So, having clicked on the above link, now i'm unclear. Are these the old transfers, or new ones? Does anyone know?

tryavna

#9 Post by tryavna » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:14 pm

emcflat wrote:http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/emcflat@s ... m=5558.jpg

Link to a image of the cover art. Should work...
And if you click the "Next" button at the bottom, you'll see a photo that more or less expresses my own personal reaction to this whole repackaging scam....

:P

Jeff

#10 Post by Jeff » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:24 pm

Kambei wrote:So, having clicked on the above link, now i'm unclear. Are these the old transfers, or new ones? Does anyone know?
I don't know, I've seen companies use creative descriptions to make it sound like more work went into transfers than actually did. It does, however, say "newly re-mastered." Surely, the 1998 transfer of Vertigo doesn't count as "new.'

skuhn8

#11 Post by skuhn8 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:44 pm

I live in Hungary (where pessimism was born). I'm a natural pessimist.

But

I'm going to throw my lot into the camp that believes that this is an improvement to the previous releases. New re-masters or whatever. I don't think that this is wordplay. I believe they toyed with the assets. Though to be honest, I was pretty happy with Vertigo and Rear Window, the only two Hitchcock films from Universal that I really cared a hoot about. Topaz? Torn Curtain? Horrible crap. Please. But I could do with an improved release of The Man Who Knew Too Much as that has some trouble spots.

Simon

#12 Post by Simon » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:00 pm

skuhn8 wrote:I'm going to throw my lot into the camp that believes that this is an improvement to the previous releases. New re-masters or whatever. I don't think that this is wordplay. I believe they toyed with the assets. Though to be honest, I was pretty happy with Vertigo and Rear Window, the only two Hitchcock films from Universal that I really cared a hoot about. Topaz? Torn Curtain? Horrible crap. Please. But I could do with an improved release of The Man Who Knew Too Much as that has some trouble spots.
What about Psycho and The Birds? Horrible crap too? They're all worth getting up to Marnie IMO and Frenzy is kinda fun also. The only one I'd pass on in the set are Torn Curtain, Topaz, Family Plot and Saboteur.
Last edited by Simon on Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tryavna

#13 Post by tryavna » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:03 pm

skuhn8 wrote:I'm going to throw my lot into the camp that believes that this is an improvement to the previous releases. New re-masters or whatever. I don't think that this is wordplay.
Despite the fact that the original press release from Davisdvd clearly states that "the fifteen (!) disc set will include the current special editions"?
Though to be honest, I was pretty happy with Vertigo and Rear Window, the only two Hitchcock films from Universal that I really cared a hoot about.

Well, I agree that Rear Window is fine. But Vertigo needs an anamorphic transfer at the very least.

djali999

#14 Post by djali999 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:22 pm

Well I've been slowly accumulating these editions individually ever since they came out. Three months ago I got the last two I wanted - Trouble with Harry and Man Who Knew Too Much - so I can happily pass up this box set as I have no need for Saboteur, Frenzy, Topaz, Torn Curtain, Family Plot or even Marnie. Not a bad deal if you don't have any of them, or perhaps just one. But seeing as anyone who'd be likley to buy this probably already has at least Psycho, Vertigo and Rear Window, I'm not sure who Universal thinks they're selling this to.

Universal = Grand Pumbaa of Repackaging

skuhn8

#15 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:09 am

Simon wrote:
skuhn8 wrote: I'm going to throw my lot into the camp that believes that this is an improvement to the previous releases. New re-masters or whatever. I don't think that this is wordplay. I believe they toyed with the assets. Though to be honest, I was pretty happy with Vertigo and Rear Window, the only two Hitchcock films from Universal that I really cared a hoot about. Topaz? Torn Curtain? Horrible crap. Please. But I could do with an improved release of The Man Who Knew Too Much as that has some trouble spots.
What about Psycho and The Birds? Horrible crap too? They're all worth getting up to Marnie IMO and Frenzy is kinda fun also. The only one I'd pass on in the set are Torn Curtain, Topaz, Family Plot and Saboteur.
Oh yeah, forgot about the Birds: My first fav Hitchcock film. Psycho? I don't know. Not a huge fan of Vince Vaughn or van Sant for that matter.

dx23

#16 Post by dx23 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:41 pm

From DVDtimes.co.uk :
Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection in October - UPDATE! Digitally Remastered
Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection for 4th October 2005 priced at $119.98 SRP. This 15 Disc collection brings together 14 Hitchcock classics plus a bonus disc in a special gift set collection.

All 14 films are digitally re-mastered for the best quality ever with all bonus features from the existing releases carried across. The films are: Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubth, Rope, Rear Window, The Trouble With Harry, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, Psycho, The Birds, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy and Family Plot.

The all-new bonus disc showcases Hitchcock's films, career and legacy, while the set is presented in ultra-premium velvet packaging which includes a 36-page collectible book.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=57539

And from http://www.dvdanswers.com :
Title: Hitchcock Collection
Starring: N/A (Various)
Released: 4th October 2005
SRP: $119.98

Further Details
Universal has announced a massive fifteen-disc Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection which brings together fourteen of Hitchcock's classic films, plus an exclusive bonus disc. The films included are Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubth, Rope, Rear Window, The Trouble With Harry, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, Psycho, The Birds, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy and Family Plot. Extras wise, every disc will be identical to those already on the market seperately. However, Universal has now confirmed digital remasters for each of the films too. The only exclusive extra material will be included on the bonus disc - and details have yet to be released on that! Stay tuned for further details on this shortly.
http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0 ... &n=1&burl=

It looks they are doing the same as what they did with the recent 12 Monkeys re-release, in keeping the old extras with a new transfer. If Universal re-releases them in anamorphic widescreen, then I'll sell my current versions and double dip. I'm now just waiting for the official press release to see what Universal is going to do.

Lino

#17 Post by Lino » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:17 am

Jeff wrote:
dx23 wrote:Where is Alfred Hitchcock Presents?
It's coming around the same time, and will probably be announced soon. Universal is planning a big Hitch promotion for the end of the year.
Where did you get that info from? If that is true, I have found my #1 boxset of the year!

Jeff

#18 Post by Jeff » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:01 am

Annie Mall wrote:Where did you get that info from? If that is true, I have found my #1 boxset of the year!
From the third post in this thread at HTF. Of course, it's not remotely official, but he was correct about the October repromotion of the films. That, coupled with "TV Shows on DVD" saying that they will be released in 2005 makes me pretty confident.

Gordon

#19 Post by Gordon » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:06 pm

Universal are now listing Vertigo as anamorphic: http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/d ... ldId=35678

But they are still only listing that fucking horrid 5.1 remix that has awful new foley sound effects (the gunfire in the opening is embarressingly anachronistic and is way too loud, compared to the original mono mix) and loads of needless sounds effects were ADDED to the mix , ie. chirping birds in the forest scene, where there were none in the original mono mic, in fact, that scene was eerie and still, originally, with only the dialogue and music present. The scene near the ocean was, again, quiet and eerie in the mono mix: in the 5.1 mix, the ocean waves crash like in Ryan's Daughter and are as loud as cannons. Awful. All of the new foley sounds modern, 'digitally-sharp', like all well-done foley in modern films, but it doesn't befit a moody, eerie film from 1958.

Most people will be ecstatic at getting a new anamorphic transfer of what is one of the greatest films of all time, but I won't be joining the party until that the original mono track is included. The existing audio elements are in poor or barely adequete condition, but all I ask is that Universal do their best. None of the other Hitchcock DVDs in this set will have 5.1, so it will already look out of place in buyers eyes.

Also, shouldn't Psycho be an anamorphic 2-disc now? A 109-minute film with a 90-minute documentary, plus about another 15 minutes of video (the long trailer, etc) about to well over 215 minutes of video is crazy in this day and age. Mind you, the transfer of the remastered, anamorphic edition of The Thing doesn't suffer and that disc contains almost the same amout of video information and a 5.1 track and has very careful encoding (as does the new 12 Monkeys disc) so maybe I'm getting my knickers in a twist for no reason.

Cineon digitally restored the VistaVision Man Who Knew Too Much last year, I believe and they also digitally restored To Killl a Mockingbird, which is now recieving a new 2-disc set with a new transfer, so that restoration muct surely have been used for The Man Who Knew Too Much? And if it was, perhaps all fiilms have been digitally restored.

Time, as ever, will tell.

TechNoir

#20 Post by TechNoir » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:39 pm

The June 11 edition of Video Business says that Psycho will include such new bonuses as making of footage, behind the scenes photos and storyboards. The bonus disc will include AFI's Salute to Alfred Hitchcock.

Narshty

#21 Post by Narshty » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:01 pm

Let's not forget the current disc of The Birds is packed tighter than a gnat's chuff and looks great. If Universal are good for anything, it's excellent low-end encoding.

hearthesilence

#22 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:40 pm

Man, I just got Rear Window from Columbia House. Maybe I'll exchange it Borders for something else.

And YEAH, WTF re: the modern 5.1 mix on Vertigo?!?!
They better include a separate track for the original soundtrack. I don't care, find a decent print somewhere and copy the track off that. At least the new issue of Jaws had the good sense to keep a separate mono track.

Jeff

#23 Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:23 pm

flixyflox wrote:I was also never really happy with either the 1.85 framing or the transfer quality of Rear Window. Projection/press kit notes from the time indicate the film negative was shot 1.37 for projection at 1.66 (or 1.37.)
The Region 1 is anamorphic 1.66.

kieslowski_67

#24 Post by kieslowski_67 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:47 am

I have all of the 15 titles but I still want the special feature disc. What should I do? To sell all my 15 DVDs and buy this special edition box set?! :(

kieslowski_67

#25 Post by kieslowski_67 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:50 am

TechNoir wrote:The June 11 edition of Video Business says that Psycho will include such new bonuses as making of footage, behind the scenes photos and storyboards. The bonus disc will include AFI's Salute to Alfred Hitchcock.
That's great. Ingrid Bergman was really the host of that show and I want to see Hitch's response when Ingrid gave the key (used in 'notorious') back to him as a gift.