Demon Seed

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Matt

#1 Post by Matt » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:44 pm

A few days ago, I threw out my VHS copy of this taped from an airing on TechTV a few years ago, so obviously you have me to thank for this announcement.

October 4 - $19.95 MSRP

Also: Dracula A.D. 1972, Night of the Lepus, Private Parts (1972), A Stranger Is Watching
Last edited by Matt on Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lino

#2 Post by Lino » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:35 am

Great, great news! Now if only they released the other Donald Cammell film everyone is waiting for - Performance - before the year ends...

BTW, Matt: I threw out my tape ages ago but seeing that it didn't work maybe you should start by throwing your Spider's Stratagem, The Devils, The kiss of the Spider Woman and so on...that is, assuming that you have these on tape (which I bet you do!).

Gordon

#3 Post by Gordon » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:10 am

The great avant garde filmmaker, Jordan Belson created the Proteus monitor effects. For me, Julie Chrisitie's performance saves this film from being a complete disaster. It is a very limiting story, cinematically and the old computer-that-wants-to-take-over-the-world chestnut isn't well developed by Koontz. Visually, it is impressive film, with fine Panavision framing and cinematography by Bill Butler, but it feels heavily overlong, to me. It would have made a great Outer Limits episode, but at 94-minutes, in a singular location, with a singular protagonist, it feels strained.

I am glad that it is finally being released on DVD, as it has been in demand for years now. But I would have (obviously) loved to have seen Warner release The Devils uncut with commentary by Ken and the Mark Kermode documentary.

Lino

#4 Post by Lino » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:45 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote: For me, Julie Chrisitie's performance saves this film from being a complete disaster.
I agree 100%. I mean, the whole premise of the movie is a tad on the ridiculous side to say the least (female human beings impregnated by computers?!) but Christie really saves the day on this one by sheer talent and commitment to the story.

However, the way the story is dealt with by Cammell is also the reason why this doesn't fall into parody or B-movie sci-fi hell. He treats it dead seriously and there's a way that he seems to weave a sort of claustrophobic atmosphere that permeates the last part of the movie in a very successful way.

Gordon

#5 Post by Gordon » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:37 am

However, the way the story is dealt with by Cammell is also the reason why this doesn't fall into parody or B-movie sci-fi hell. He treats it dead seriously and there's a way that he seems to weave a sort of claustrophobic atmosphere that permeates the last part of the movie in a very successful way.
I agree: aside from Christie's intelligent performance, it is, indeed, the claustrophobic atmosphere that makes Demon Seed worth revisiting. Wait Until Dark meets Colossus: The Forbin Project, perhaps?

rumz

#6 Post by rumz » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:24 pm

Lino

#7 Post by Lino » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:03 am

Any reviews yet?

Matt

#8 Post by Matt » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:34 pm

I received my copy (of Demon Seed) a couple of days ago. The only extra is a trailer (which looks like someone salvaged from a garbage disposal), but the transfer looks beautiful.

Lino

#9 Post by Lino » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:22 am

Agreed, it does look very nice. This being a very darkly lit film, it could easily go wrong but so far it doesn't look it.

Not wanting to shift the thread's theme but does anyone know which version of Wild Side is the one to get?

Gordon

#10 Post by Gordon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:25 pm

The UK DVD of Wild Side is the 111-minute (PAL from 119 minutes) 'director's cut'. But it is 1.33:1 open-matte. It does not feature the sex scene. It also features Cammel's short film, The Argument.

The original 90-minute theatrical unrated version was released by Artisan and features the infamous lesbian sex scene and was also 1.33:1 and is now OOP.

The 95-minute Canadian editon from Lion's Gate is the R-rated version and omits the sex scene.

Go for the UK edition: Amazon.co.uk

I'd love to see Paramount release White of the Eye.

Lino

#11 Post by Lino » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:07 am

sumland wrote:The transfer of Demon Seed is quite good, nicely letterboxed at 2.32:1 from the original Panavision 2.35:1--thanks, Matt, for starting the thread. Warner Brothers is to be congratulated on an excellent transfer, if it is still a DVD issue that is a bit skimpy on extras. Nonetheless, this DVD represents the first widescreen release of the film in the US (the OOP laser disc was full-frame, unfortunately).

Incidentally, for what it's worth, the version of the "sex scene" (is that the only reason for watching this film?) in the UK (Tartan) Wild Side edition is Cammell's preferred cut of the scene (it is the "director's cut" version). The version of the scene on the Nu Image (as opposed to director's cut) unrated versions of the film is not the way he wanted the scene to play.
DVDdrive-in review of Demon Seed:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/a-d/demonseed77.htm

Gordon

#12 Post by Gordon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:06 am

It is worth noting that the great avant-garde film artist, Jordan Belson created the trippy Proteus monitor effects. I'd love to see Belson collected works on DVD at some point.

Lino

#13 Post by Lino » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:50 am

Demon Seed review is up at DVDTalk:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18404

Matt

#14 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:20 pm

Demon Seed is currently $4.25 at Buy.com.

Matt

#15 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:14 pm

Also, Rebecca and Sam Umland's long-awaited book on Donald Cammell is out at the end of July. It gets a very good review in the new Film Comment.