Point Blank

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
Stephen
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:11 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Re: Point Blank

#51 Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:09 am

Coming to UK cinemas care of the BFI

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/bfi- ... oint-blank

Could BFI be pulling this out of the Warner fire a la The Devils? The UK market never has had a DVD release of this masterpiece, only a very ropey pan and scan MGM VHS. Wish I was back in London for this. If ever a film deserves an HD release, this is it.

User avatar
repeat
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:04 am
Location: high in the Custerdome

Re: Point Blank

#52 Post by repeat » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:31 am

Stephen wrote:Could BFI be pulling this out of the Warner fire a la The Devils?
[-o< [-o< [-o<

It's funny, I never realized Point Blank was a little-known or underappreciated film before recently, when I got a Blu-ray player: this was among the first must-upgrades that came to mind (likewise when I first got a region-free player, it was among the first R1 titles I bought) - and I just could not believe it hadn't been restored to HD yet!

Not to go ahead of things, but if BFI really were on the case, and would go through the trouble to include that Lee Marvin doc, and maybe get the Soderbergh commentary on there - now that would be a pretty serious candidate for reissue of the year.

User avatar
kingofthejungle
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:25 am

Re: Point Blank

#53 Post by kingofthejungle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:24 pm

repeat wrote:
Stephen wrote:Could BFI be pulling this out of the Warner fire a la The Devils?
[-o< [-o< [-o<

It's funny, I never realized Point Blank was a little-known or underappreciated film before recently, when I got a Blu-ray player: this was among the first must-upgrades that came to mind (likewise when I first got a region-free player, it was among the first R1 titles I bought) - and I just could not believe it hadn't been restored to HD yet!
The team at Warner Archive stated that Point Blank is under consideration for a Blu-Ray release on their facebook page a few days ago, so perhaps the wait won't be too much longer.

User avatar
Stephen
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:11 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Re: Point Blank

#54 Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Not to go ahead of things, but if BFI really were on the case, and would go through the trouble to include that Lee Marvin doc, and maybe get the Soderbergh commentary on there - now that would be a pretty serious candidate for reissue of the year.
And perhaps the terrific BBC2 'Making of' documentary that preceded its widescreen broadcast (late 90's I seem to remember).

User avatar
hearthesilence
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:22 am
Location: NYC

Re: Point Blank

#55 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:18 am

kingofthejungle wrote:
repeat wrote:
Stephen wrote:Could BFI be pulling this out of the Warner fire a la The Devils?
[-o< [-o< [-o<

It's funny, I never realized Point Blank was a little-known or underappreciated film before recently, when I got a Blu-ray player: this was among the first must-upgrades that came to mind (likewise when I first got a region-free player, it was among the first R1 titles I bought) - and I just could not believe it hadn't been restored to HD yet!
The team at Warner Archive stated that Point Blank is under consideration for a Blu-Ray release on their facebook page a few days ago, so perhaps the wait won't be too much longer.
Excellent! I've been holding off for a while, hoping it would be released in hi-def.

Post Reply