Cabaret

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Martha

#1 Post by Martha » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:30 pm

Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome to Cabaret. The winner of eight Academy Awards, it boasts a score by the legendary songwriting partnership behind another film that would energize the movie musical genre with equal razzle-dazzle 30 years later: Chicago's John Kander and Fred Ebb. Inside the Kit Kat Club of 1931 Berlin, starry-eyed singer Sally Bowles (Liza Minnelli) and an impish emcee (Joel Grey) sound the clarion call to decadent fun, while outside a certain political party grows into a brutal force. Cabaret caught lightning (and won Oscars) for Minnelli, Grey and director Bob Fosse, who shaped a triumph of style and substance. Come to this Cabaret, old chum. You'll never want to leave.

Special Features:
25th-Anniversary Documentary "Cabaret: A Legend in the Making"
Featurette: "The Recreation of An Era"
"Kit Kat Klub Memory Gallery": The film's stars and creators reminisce about making movie musical history.

bcsparker

#2 Post by bcsparker » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:43 am

I have the original R1 version. I think the only difference between it and the newer release is a 5.1 soundtrack.
I love this film. I haven't heard the original musical score, but the songs in the film are spectacular. And this is one musical that manages to tell a very good story at the same time.
And say what you want about the wrecked, tabloid-fodder creature Liza has become - when she sings "Maybe This Time" she looks absolutely stunning.

Matt

Re: Cabaret

#3 Post by Matt » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 am

I can't believe I'm gonna have to buy my Blu-ray of Cabaret from France.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:25 am

A lot of these Blus are getting announced in France first before the US dates pop up. Don't panic

Matt

#5 Post by Matt » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:48 am

I know that's typically the case with Warner Bros. when they own worldwide rights, but they only own US distribution rights (and apparently share the copyright with ABC, which probably complicates things further). I'm not too worried, but I hope the French disc is all-region. I hate my Sherwood.

FilmFanSea

#6 Post by FilmFanSea » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:30 pm

atcolomb

#7 Post by atcolomb » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:54 pm

Great news...with a blu-ray on the way i can retire my laserdisc and the dvd that has a poor print of the movie.

felipe

#8 Post by felipe » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:42 pm

Finger crossed they'll announce a 40th anniversary edition before the year is over.