Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and Crowd-Funding

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Kickstarter, Indiegogo and crowd-funding

#101 Post by swo17 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:55 pm

Ogre Kovacs wrote:For anyone curious, a lovely poster for Alice (designed by Eva Švankmajerova) has been added to the Jan Švankmajer indiegogo page (as well as Surviving Life by Švankmajer himself). All are signed by Švankmajer, limited to 50, and (in the case of Alice) almost sold out. I did not hesitate to pick one up and support the cause. May have to double dip of the Blu's as well.
Incidentally, that project is already 90% funded in less than a week!

MichaelB

#102 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 31, 2016 6:57 pm

swo17 wrote:Incidentally, that project is already 90% funded in less than a week!
I couldn't be more thrilled for him. Even hitting the stretch goal of $400K doesn't seem at all impossible.

(I haven't invested yet, but I certainly will be doing so when I have the necessary spare cash - doesn't Indiegogo debit your card immediately?)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#103 Post by swo17 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:00 pm

Yes, and they get your contribution whether or not the goal is met. In contrast, Kickstarter is all or nothing.

MichaelB

#104 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 31, 2016 7:03 pm

Thought so - I only use debit cards right now, so I need the money in my account. But he will certainly be getting some of it.

How rude!

#105 Post by How rude! » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:59 am

Ogre Kovacs wrote:For anyone curious, a lovely poster for Alice (designed by Eva Švankmajerova) has been added to the Jan Švankmajer indiegogo page (as well as Surviving Life by Švankmajer himself). All are signed by Švankmajer, limited to 50, and (in the case of Alice) almost sold out. I did not hesitate to pick one up and support the cause. May have to double dip of the Blu's as well.
Thank you so much for the update. I was fortunate enough to pick up the last remaining Alice poster, along with the book and blu-ray set. I have an original Alice poster to compliment it.

My interest in Svankmajer goes back to the late nineties, being bowled over by his shorts shown on Australian tv. Michael B's website at that time was integral in delving further into Svankmajer's work.

Two decades on, it is a pleasure to be able to contribute, albeit in a small way, to Jan Svankmajer creating a final work from that extraordinary mind of his.

Ogre Kovacs

#106 Post by Ogre Kovacs » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:25 am

Another amazing poster design from Eva Švankmajerova has been added. This time for Conspirators of Pleasure; my favorite Švankmajer feature film (as well as others here if I recall). This campaign knows how to separate me from money better than any other (not that I am complaining). Kino's Conspirators of Pleasure was the first DVD I ever purchased (even before having a DVD player) and that act turned me, in many ways, from someone who rarely watched films to someone obsessed. I figured I owed something back :D

MichaelB

#107 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:54 am

I very rarely get people to autograph things (never in professional situations, hardly ever in social ones), but my catalogue of their work jointly signed by both the Švankmajers is one of my most precious possessions.

Two of them, come to think of it, since I bought them in Czech and English editions - the English one was entirely in English, but I needed the Czech titles.

colinr0380

#108 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:25 am

kidc85 wrote:88 Films (UK) have a project aiming to raise £10k to restore D'Amato's ABSURD. You need to pledge £45 to get a blu-ray of it, but their gimmick is for every additional £10k they raise they will restore another film: MASSACRE IN DINOSAUR VALLEY, AENIGMA and BEYOND THE DARKNESS, and you will receive those blu-rays as well.

It's a pretty ingenious campaign: they've already passed the £10k funding goal for ABSURD, so if they do manage to raise the full £40k then bully for them, and if they don't they've just charged a bunch of people £45 for a blu-ray. Win-win.
And this campaign has now reached £70,000, which apparently means (sorry in advance domino!) that everyone who backed it at one of the original four pledge levels is going to get a copy of Anthropophagous as well!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#109 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:05 am

I thought the idea was to reward pledgers! :P

EddieLarkin

#110 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:53 am

To be clear, they are not giving away copies of their current Anthro release to pledgers, but a new disc with a new 2K transfer (their current disc appears to be very poor looking).

MichaelB

#111 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:47 am

The Švankmajer fundraiser has just closed with a final total of $270,903. Not quite the full $400,000, but clearly way ahead of the original $150,000.

Ged Parsons

#112 Post by Ged Parsons » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:41 am

MichaelB wrote:The Švankmajer fundraiser has just closed with a final total of $270,903. Not quite the full $400,000, but clearly way ahead of the original $150,000.
Technically, this campaign is still open. To quote from their latest update:

"Since we haven't managed to get near the ultimate goal of funding the film based only on your contributions, we've entered something called “In Demand mode”. That's an option offered to projects that have reached their original goal, but would still like to keep some of the perks open. In reality, it simply means that you can no longer buy all the unique signed items that are not directly associated with the Insects film. "

In effect, you're still able to apply for things like the BD/DVD of 'Insects', the 5 BD set* including 'Insects', the art-book, and various downloads.

So, it's still possible to contribute, to help make this project a reality.

*(UPDATE: the 5 BD set is no longer available to purchase as a perk)
Last edited by Ged Parsons on Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#113 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:51 am

Ged Parsons wrote:In effect, you're still able to apply for things like the BD/DVD of 'Insects', the 5 BD set including 'Insects', the art-book, and various downloads.

Is the 5 BD set available still? Im not seeing it on their list of perks; it goes from the sold out $100 perks straight to the $200 perk.

Ged Parsons

#114 Post by Ged Parsons » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:53 pm

jindianajonz wrote:
Ged Parsons wrote:In effect, you're still able to apply for things like the BD/DVD of 'Insects', the 5 BD set including 'Insects', the art-book, and various downloads.

Is the 5 BD set available still? Im not seeing it on their list of perks; it goes from the sold out $100 perks straight to the $200 perk.
No, you're right, jindianajonz - the 5 BD set also seems to have gone now, along with the 5 BD set/art-book combo.

Looks like it's very strictly 'Insects'-only stuff, now - probably a legal requirement.

There was also a set of 6 posters, unsigned, which was due to be released as a perk at the $300,000 stage - it was brought forward early, but only a day or so before the main campaign ended. I think only 1 or 2 people ordered it before it became unavailable.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#116 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:08 pm

$100 at the cheapest to receive a Blu-ray. Did they take their cues from that Buster Keaton Kickstarter?

Ashirg

#117 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:20 pm

It's so hard to navigate Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns. Here's one I just heard about - only 6 days left.

Save the Early Films of Christine Vachon & Todd Haynes

Ashirg

#118 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:40 am

Ashirg wrote:It's so hard to navigate Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns. Here's one I just heard about - only 6 days left.

Save the Early Films of Christine Vachon & Todd Haynes
The goal was met with only 3 hours to go. Was happy to see "Cult favorite Liquid Sky by Slava Tsukerman" on the list of stretch goals, although I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

jsteffe

#119 Post by jsteffe » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:14 pm

One of my friends, the film scholar Jeff Crouse, is spearheading an effort to restore the silent film Little Mickey Grogan, starring Lassie Lou Ahern, one of the last surviving silent film stars. He has already filmed a 50-minute interview with her.

Serge Bromberg owns the film elements. Besides a screening at Pordenone, it will result in a DVD to be released by Lobster Films. Philip Carli is slated for the film score. Here is a link to the the campaign.

captveg

#121 Post by captveg » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:37 pm

This was funded, along with a stretch goal to include a previously lost British 3D short Harmony Lane, which was only shown once in 3D in a test screening in 1953, and released without 3D in 1954 in the UK only. The 3D short film Space Attack from the Adventures of Sam Space series will also be included.

Luke M

#122 Post by Luke M » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:16 pm

I backed this as I've become a sucker for silent film restoration projects. Though I'm not entirely optimistic it'll meet its goal.

rockysds

#123 Post by rockysds » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:20 pm

Tommy Stathes is running a Indiegogo campaign to release a third volume of Cartoon Roots.

matrixschmatrix

#124 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:43 pm

Did anyone else who donated to the Svankmajer Kickstarter get a poster yet? I got an email from them a few weeks ago saying it was heading out (I picked up one of the signed Alice posters) but nothing has arrived yet.

SSF

#125 Post by SSF » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:14 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:Did anyone else who donated to the Svankmajer Kickstarter get a poster yet? I got an email from them a few weeks ago saying it was heading out (I picked up one of the signed Alice posters) but nothing has arrived yet.
I also contributed, and received the email, but I haven't gotten my (Faust) poster yet.