Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
bottlesofsmoke

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#2376 Post by bottlesofsmoke » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:46 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:04 pm
Is this currently with Warners? The only DVD came from Image, and considering how every other Lang title they have is already out on Blu, I find it hard to believe it would be neglected if they had it
You may be right, it’s another one of those weird rights situations, it plays on TCM occasionally but if WAC had it, you’d think it would have gotten a DVD release at least. It’s a “Blue Gardenia” production, their only film (though according to IMDB so is Under the Tuscan Sun, but I’m fairly sure that is a different production company) so it’s probably in some weird situation. Shame, since I think it’s one of Lang’s best films, deserves wider recognition, and would look great in HD.

Incidentally, it was produced by Alex Gottlieb, who also produced Marry Me Again, the only Frank Tashlin film I haven’t seen because I’ve never been able to find a version of it. That’s another film from a one-off production company, so perhaps not a good sign for The Blue Gardenia.

knives

#2377 Post by knives » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:39 pm

Maltic wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:41 am
bottlesofsmoke wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:53 pm
Are the Dwan / Bogeaus films with WB? I know RKO distributed them but I don’t know who actually has the rights, I don’t think WAC released them on DVD, which you’d think they would have if they could… Silver Lode would be a dream

I guess that means no Slightly Scarlet either...
VCI has the rights as far I can tell.

Matt

#2378 Post by Matt » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:48 pm

Footlight Parade: I finally got this disc in a recent sale. It does seem an improvement over the original DVD from 2006 (how could it not be), but it’s not exactly the sparkling beauty I thought it might be. For a film of its vintage, it is entirely fine: good range of tones through pure black to pure white, very good stability, decent sound reproduction. It’s more heavily grained than I expected, but the grain is there in the source (which is apparently an interpositive from the original nitrate negative) and not a result of later-generation elements or prints or of a digital approximation.

This might be my favorite of the classic Berkeley spate of WB musicals, despite all of the lavish production numbers being stacked at the end. Cagney is delightful in a rare song-and-dance role; Joan Blondell, Frank McHugh, Guy Kibbee, Hugh Herbert, and Ruth Donnelly are all their usual, reliable comedic presences; and Dick Powell and Ruby Keeler have their sweet little musical romance but are not expected to carry the film on their own their limited talents.

The disc has more features than the usual WAC Blu-ray, copying all of the extras for the earlier DVD, but none are of an improved visual quality. Of the 9 films formerly collected in the two Berkeley DVD collections previously released, we’ve only gotten 3 on WAC Blu-ray: Footlight Parade, 42nd Street, and Gold Diggers of 1933. We might get the later Gold Diggers films at some point, but I’m going to be shocked if we ever see Hollywood Hotel or Varsity Show from them, meaning the DVD collections (eventually boxed together in a 2010 collection) remain indispensable for completists.
Last edited by Matt on Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

#2379 Post by Matt » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:31 am

Lullaby of Broadway: Since my recent viewing of Elizabeth and Essex, I’ve been snapping up all the recent WAC releases of three-strip Technicolor films. This Doris Day musical, one that I had not seen before and which was not collected in the earlier WB Day box sets, was one of them. I was less surprised that there was a Doris Day musical I had not seen than there was a S.Z. “Cuddles” Sakall film I had not seen (and one with quite a prominent role for him). It’s actually a pleasant little backstage musical with small-scale song and dance numbers that take place as part of rehearsals, nightclub performances, party entertainment, etc., not the lavish production numbers you’d get from MGM.

But again, the digital restoration from the Technicolor negatives (or secondary elements) is simply astounding. Again the qualities and colors of fabrics in the costumes and just the overall details are so much richer and clearer to me than I’ve ever seen in this kind of film. You can see the highlights in Day’s hair, the freckles on her face, every fold and wrinkle in the fabrics of the costumes. You can see how the tuxedos of the men are dark blue and not black because they would register better on camera. You can see the subtle variations in the colors in the layers of a couple of chiffon dresses Day wears, the colors of individual lights reflecting off a gold lamé dress she wears in the finale. Honestly, I can’t get enough of these, and you know it’s bad because I just ordered three more discs including two Red Skelton musical comedies.
Last edited by Matt on Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

#2380 Post by Matt » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:28 am

I made this list for myself but thought I would share it here in case it's of use to anyone else:

Three-Strip Technicolor Films Available on WAC Blu-ray

There's a second tab with (what I believe to be) all the three-strip Technicolor features in the Warner Bros. catalog. This was pulled from Wikipedia's List of three-strip Technicolor films page. I did not include shorts (animated or otherwise) or films with Technicolor sequences only, and I have not verified the list against any other sources. I also added the handful of Blu-rays available from their main line.

Matt

#2381 Post by Matt » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:39 am

Adventures of Don Juan: Another highly enjoyable WAC Technicolor film I had never seen. This has a witty script that is almost farcical in the beginning but calms down into a more standard romantic swashbuckler of the kind typically associated with star Errol Flynn. I won't belabor similar points I've made in other write-ups above, but this is another grade A Technicolor transfer from WAC.

The costumes in this picture, especially, are well-served by the increased detail and differentiation of textures and colors. The film being set in Spain may have given the (Oscar-winning) costumers license to go all-in on brocades, velvets, metallic fabrics, and ornate embellishment. There is one scene where Flynn enters the throne room wearing an exquisite emerald green velvet doublet heavily embroidered with green glass beads that sparkle under the bright lights. It's really quite an extraordinary thing to see on a male actor in 1948. In another scene, the queen, played by Viveca Lindfors, wears a gown with alternating velvet and satin stripes in a sort of medium violet-gray. I could never imagine seeing a color like that reproduce well on film without just becoming a dull pigeon gray, but there it is. Many other costumes will pop your eyes, but these two really stood out to me. The bright lighting needed for Technicolor was perfect for shiny, satiny, and richly textured fabrics as well as beading and bejeweling, and there's much of it here.

It's hard enough finding good books on Technicolor films, but I'd really love to read something on the challenges and opportunities in costume design for three-strip films. There's got to be some unpublished dissertation out there.

Matt

#2382 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:09 am

On Moonlight Bay: I might as well keep writing these Technicolor films up. This one has a softer look than the others in terms of color and crispness. It’s likely Ernest Haller was going for something reminiscent of popular lithographs and magazine illustrations of the time the movie takes place (1917), and the costumes and sets are also more muted with pale neutrals, grays, browns, and pastels. Reds are still brilliant, though, as you can’t do much about that with Technicolor, but they’re only occasionally shown (most notably in Marjorie’s baseball cap and Bill’s letterman’s sweater).

There is a fine layer of grain in the image here, perhaps as a result of somewhat dimmer, more naturalistic lighting than you’d find in an adventure film or a flashy musical. This is more a light family comedy with a few old-time songs in it.
Last edited by Matt on Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

#2383 Post by Matt » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:59 pm

Broadway Melody of 1940: Catching up on my other WAC Blu-rays before the others I ordered show up. This disc has a 4K scan from nitrate preservation elements, which look great, but it’s too bad we couldn’t get something from the original negative. This is possibly the most beautifully shot black and white musical. It takes the lessons of the RKO Astaire and Rogers musicals with their Big White Sets and their respect for showing the full bodies and movements of the dancers without a lot of cutting, and the lessons of the Warner Bros. Busby Berkeley musicals with their huge stages and the varying placement of the dancers within them.

Here we get three spectacular numbers, all classic Cole Porter songs, in almost pure black and white:

“Between You and Me” features George Murphy (in a black tux) and Eleanor Powell (in a sparkling silver lamé gown) dancing around (and sliding up and down) a huge art deco set dressed with a big satiny white divan, cellophane drapery, and a polished white floor. Everything gleams and glitters, switching strikingly between bright overall stage lighting to a stark spotlight emphasizing the high contrast.

“I Concentrate on You” has Eleanor Powell first in a black sequined tutu and harlequin mask in stark spotlight on a white floor with large black columns backlit in white. Other dancers around her are in white tutus with black trim. Astaire shows up dressed in a black and white harlequin outfit and mask at the top of a black staircase with chrome railings, and their romantic, balletic pas de deux begins. Astaire dances here in a more fluid and willowy fashion than in the rest of the film. They are sometimes in bright stage lighting, sometimes in spotlight, sometimes in silhouette, sometimes in raked lighting. The lighting shifts between these four modes smoothly and dramatically. The number closes with a big cellophane curtain descending, sparkling in black and white.

The famous “Begin the Beguine” number features a backdrop of hundreds of small lights mimicking starlight against a black sky, a large white scrim curtain, palm trees made out of glittering shredded cellophane, Powell and background dancers in flowing white and silver lamé gowns, and a polished black floor. Astaire appears and he and Powell dance against mirrors reflecting the starlight backdrop on a circular mirrored floor. There is a costume change halfway through and Astaire is in a white tux and Powell in a spangled, pleated white dress that flares out when she spins. The swing band, dressed in black pants and white jackets, is reflected in the mirrors behind them. George Murphy, in a white tux matching Astaire’s, joins them in a little coda tap dance, ending the film.

Marvelous stuff, and a beautiful contrast to the Technicolor musicals that would dominate in the years to come,

Finch

#2384 Post by Finch » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:15 pm

Seems like it's an all-cartoon month in February.

The Hanna-Barbera Superstars 10 Complete Film Collection

Matt

#2385 Post by Matt » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:56 pm

I was hoping they’d get around to doing multi-film sets again, but…not like this.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2386 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:04 pm

The idea that ANY Hanna Barbera movie needs a Blu-ray, much less ten of them, is madness

Furstemberg

#2387 Post by Furstemberg » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:27 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:04 pm
The idea that ANY Hanna Barbera movie needs a Blu-ray, much less ten of them, is madness
It's true and you should say it

Matt

#2388 Post by Matt » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:10 pm

Du Barry Was a Lady: Dire film. Supposed to have been a re-teaming of the gang from Panama Hattie (one of my favorites of the minor Arthur Freed musicals) until Ann Sothern got pregnant. Lucille Ball, ten years into her film career but never really breaking out, took over for Sothern, but she has none of her sassiness and spark. In fact, Ball sleepwalks through most of the picture, sounding like she’s reading her lines for the first time, and her singing voice is lifelessly dubbed. She does come to life in the final “Friendship” number where she is not dubbed and does a comedic dance, but it comes too late.

Red Skelton does his usual schtick. His appeal during the ‘40s reminds me of what Jeanine Basinger said about the similarly zany Betty Hutton and her stardom of the same time: “You had to be there.” “Rags” Ragland is his always reliable second banana, and Virginia “Miss Deadpan” O’Brien has a funny featured musical number. Zero Mostel, in his film debut, has a couple of amusing bits, and Tommy Dorsey and his band show up for a couple of scenes. But the film is thin and unfunny and charmless overall.

The 4K transfer from the original camera negative looks good but not as crisp or as brilliantly colored as the others I’ve watched recently. There are lots of pinks and lavenders and pale peaches and thistles and cornflower blues, none of the dazzling jewel tones one expects from Technicolor. There’s a general pallor to the image, and the skin tones have maybe just a pinch too much redness in some scenes. Perhaps this is all due to the iron fist of Technicolor color director Natalie Kalmus and her demands for softer, more naturalistic color. Or cinematographer Karl Freund, a true genius of black and white, was maybe out of his element here.

I won’t deny that these colors are natural (grapes and apples look like grapes and apples) and reproduced accurately (Warner Archive always does a great job with their Technicolor films), it’s more that the sets and costumes just don’t rise to the potential of the technology. When a rare cherry red or royal blue does appear, it pops as expected.

Neptune’s Daughter: Not much to say about this amusing, diverting, minor MGM musical comedy. More Red Skelton, Esther Williams doing Esther Williams stuff, Betty Garrett doing her man-hungry bit (which, to be honest, I always enjoy), and a young shirtless Ricardo Montalban. This is the film that introduced “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” to the world, first with Montalban as the persuader of Williams and then with Garrett as the persuader of Skelton. If all the very online people who think this song is “problematic” only watched the relevant scene of this movie, they would instantly understand what’s going on in the lyrics.

This one looks very nice, better in terms of color than Du Barry Was a Lady, though the sets and costumes are still relatively restrained. What’s remarkable about many of these WAC discs sourced from original Technicolor camera negatives is the nuance with which shades and tones of colors are rendered. There’s a lot of beautiful and subtle variation that I’ve never really seen come through in past home video presentations. Some Technicolor films can seem almost like old comic strips with just one shade of yellow, red, blue, etc. or, if they have the common misalignment of the image, they can seem like looking at a 3-D movie without the 3-D glasses.

I learned, incidentally, in doing a bit of reading on the three-strip process, that Fox junked all their Technicolor negatives in 1978. So if you’re ever hoping for any Fox musicals or other Technicolor productions to ever look as good as these, it won’t happen. Good results can often be worked from interpositives, but not miracles.
Last edited by Matt on Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ryannichols7

#2389 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:19 pm

well, the H-B is certainly sure to be a big seller...

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#2390 Post by soundchaser » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:36 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:04 pm
Even as a Scooby-Doo-rerun-devouring child, I was bored stiff by all three of the movies here. Dire stuff.

JakeStewart

#2391 Post by JakeStewart » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:45 pm

Coming March 12th

FrauBlucher

#2392 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:47 pm

CSM126

#2393 Post by CSM126 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:35 pm

“Criterion’s having a good month, we gotta balance it out”

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2394 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:09 pm

They looked at Indicator’s recent announcements and said, “We can do much worse”

TechnicolorAcid

#2395 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:44 pm

Well I can’t say I’m excited about Colt .45 when the few sources about it says this about the show is…
Western Clippings wrote:“Colt .45” was created in a hurry by Warner Bros. after a call from ABC revealed a national sponsor wanted a TV show. In its three seasons on the air “Colt .45” was a mixture of uncertain sponsorship, many repeat episodes, and an abrupt change in the starring role after a walkout by—or firing of—the original star, Wayde Preston. Additionally, Warner Bros. couldn’t decide whether Preston should wear a mustache or not.
Don’t hate the Hannah Barbara collection, seems like a good deal for 10 movies. I would actually check those out if only to see if they are actually bad or just mediocre. Not expecting a great film in this set at all so I’ll keep expectations low. Plus I’m sure they’ll get their fair stack of dough from the set which is nice for them.

pistolwink

#2396 Post by pistolwink » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:16 am

I have to wonder how long these items—like the Colt .45 set especially, which would seem to appeal primarily if not solely to people nostalgic for an uncelebrated TV show that's over 60 years old—will continue to get released. How many Boomers are buying Blu-Rays at this point?
Maybe that's the point—this is the last chance Warners thinks they have of monetizing certain nooks and crannies of their library.

FrauBlucher

#2397 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:25 am

I’m a boomer, albeit at the end of the baby boomer period, and I’ve never heard of this till now

What A Disgrace

#2398 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:11 pm

It has under 200 votes on IMDB. Amazing that this is getting a Blu-ray but not the complete I Love Lucy.

Ribs

#2399 Post by Ribs » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:26 pm

You’re comparing completely different things from different studios. WACs model is not based around the actual release of Blu-rays, but simply monetizing recent projects from the Warner Archive. Colt 45 has only recently had music rights issues rectified, which has allowed it to finally be restored to be prepapred for streaming, and as part of that project they are releasing the series on video for the first time ever. George F has said time and again it is not run the way most other imprints are; the Warner Archive has a variety of priorities that leads to some things being done before others that on paper wouldn’t sell as well due to the desire to make sure WB is able to continue monetizing it going forward and making their money back on projects to that effect.

I Love Lucy absolutely will finally be finished on BD soon - Paramount’s been very good about their new sets of Frasier, Cheers, Odd Couple, Leave it to Beaver, etc, and there’s no reason to think that I Love Lucy or Taxi or whatever else already HD-ready is in their library won’t be soon to follow in coming months.

therewillbeblus

#2400 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:52 pm

I need that Taxi set stat