To Upgrade (to Blu) or Not (Yet) ... North American Edition

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
denti alligator

To Upgrade (to Blu) or Not (Yet) ... North American Edition

#1 Post by denti alligator » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04 am

I've been away from the forum for a while, and one of the things that one learns in painstaking detail here, if one visits regularly, are the who when where whats of DVD and Blu upgrades. So I'm out of of touch and thought it would be helpful to make a master list (yes, I'll try to maintain it) of films that have previously appeared on DVD and that are now available on superior Blu-ray editions. But I'm especially interested if the non-Region A editions that are out there are planned (or rumored) for Region A release, so that I don't go jump on an import version only to get a domestic one next year. Would this be useful?

So let's start with a few obvious ones:

Blue Angel --> Region B (German release): PQ: ? (new resto?) ; Extras: commentary (in German) + Eng. vs. + Dietrich performances ('63 and '72) --> MoC Blu forthcoming ? --> Region A (Kino?)

Boudu Saved from Drowning --> Region B (Park Circus): PQ:superior; Extras:? --> Region A (coming from CC as soon as Matt buys Park Circus release)

Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie --> Region B (Studio Canal): PQ: superior; Extras: inferior (keep Criterion) --> Region A?

Grand Illusion --> Region B (Studio Canal): PQ:superior; Extras:equal/superior? --> Region A (Studio Canal) coming July 31

Peeping Tom --> Region B (Optimum): PQ:superior (though Beaver disagrees); Extras: ? --> Region A?

Picnic at Hanging Rock --> Region B (Second sight): PQ: superior; Extras: ? --> Region A (Criterion?)

Port Of Shadows (Quai Des Brumes) --> Region B (Studio Canal): PQ: prob superior (from resto); Extras: ? --> Region A planned?

Rififi -- > Region B (Arrow): PQ:superior Extras: ? --> Region A ?

The River --> Region B (Carlotta): PQ:superior Extras:? --> Region A?

Spirit of the Beehive --> Region B (Spain: with english subs): PQ: ? ; Extras: ? --> Region A (Criterion?)
Last edited by denti alligator on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: To Upgrade (to Blu) or Not (Yet) ... North American Edit

#2 Post by Drucker » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:27 am

Don't know if you're looking for suggestions, but a few off the top of my head:

Boudu Saved From Drowning is available from Park Circus region B blu ray. The River is available in France from Carlotta. Carlotta has also released several Borzage films on blu ray.

JPJ

#3 Post by JPJ » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:36 am

-Peeping Tom from Optimum region B
-Picnic at hanging rock from Second sight region B
-Spirit of the beehive from Spain region B (with english subs)

Matt

#4 Post by Matt » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:40 am

Boudu should be coming from Criterion eventually. I imagine they are simply waiting for me to finally pull the trigger on buying the Park Circus BD just before they announce it.

denti alligator

#5 Post by denti alligator » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:59 am

These needn't only be Criterion releases, btw...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#6 Post by Drucker » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:08 am

Sternberg's Blue Angel comes to blu ray in Germany: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=198910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully MOC will eventually release it.

Port Of Shadows (Quai Des Brumes) coming to blu ray from Studio Canal. Don't know about extras, but PQ from the restoration trailer they showed looks amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52MtDn6S0m4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (not the restoration trailer, but still great!)

Murdoch

#7 Post by Murdoch » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Days of Being Wild - Mega Star, RO; I'm hoping Kino will do an upgrade some time soon.

kuzine

#8 Post by kuzine » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:45 pm

See also this thread probably.

denti alligator

#9 Post by denti alligator » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:54 pm

kuzine wrote:See also this thread probably.
Yes, very helpful. I realize this will be impossible to maintain thoroughly, so I see it more as a thread to ask the question "to upgrade or not (yet)?" To each response I'll try to add to the first post.

zedz

#10 Post by zedz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:31 pm

This could be a mammoth project for you denti, since most BluRay upgrades will automatically be improvements on the existing DVD release, unless something goes horribly wrong. Personally, I'm more interested in the cases where something goes horribly wrong, so I can stay away from them.

On top of that list is the ghastly UK transfer of Don't Look Now: peculiar and ugly and in need of a complete overhaul. I'd definitely recommend holding out for an alternative in that case.