Disney/Buena Vista Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Feego

Re: Disney/Buena Vista Catalog Titles on Blu

#76 Post by Feego » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:50 pm

Matt wrote:Sleeping Beauty (again!) in October, 2014. I suspect the latter is just a tie-in to the live-action Maleficent movie. I can't imagine how they could substantially improve the previous edition.
One way they could improve it would be to include the commentary from the original DVD that featured interview excerpts with the film's animators. I much preferred that one to the newly recorded commentary.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#77 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:03 pm

The Blu-ray for the Little Mermaid has the stupidest functionality I've ever witnessed in this format: When you hit pause, the disc automatically launches into a fucking karaoke singalong with Sebastian that can't be stopped. Once you exit the singalong, you're brought back to your place in the film, but there's no way to actually pause the screen. Isn't one of the selling points of animated films for many fans stopping and looking at individual frames/cells/etc? It didn't affect me for that reason, it's just annoying to hear "Kiss the Girl" coming from the other room while trying to pee!

On the positive note, though, wow, this Disney film held up even better than I remembered it as a kid. Easy to see why this is the go-to favorite for many (even if not so much here), I love love loved it all over again. I think part of the film's success is thanks to its extremely streamlined narrative, which cuts out every bit of fat and leaves in only the details that matter without sacrificing anything necessary to building character, suspense, &c. This economy of storytelling makes the whole film feel like a fairy tale, which is not something I could say about most adaptations of the sort, even those I like. And of course it helps that the movie contains pound for pound the best songs ever to wind up in a Disney movie!
Last edited by domino harvey on Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Narrator Returns

#78 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:09 pm

I've heard it's pretty much the same thing with the Wreck-it Ralph Blu-Ray, except Chris Hardwick automatically shows up, gabbing about the "awesome" video game references in the movie.

Matt

#79 Post by Matt » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:02 pm

That also happens on the new Disney Muppet Movie blu-ray. Awful.

Feego

#80 Post by Feego » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:18 pm

There have been some complaints online about changes that were made to The Little Mermaid in the new Blu edition. This YouTube video shows the discrepancies between the Blu and the 2006 DVD, including differences in the opening credits and color timing changes. These are all pretty minor IMO, but if you skip to the 3:00 mark on the video, two shots during the "Part of Your World" number have inexplicably switched places, and it's pretty jarring once you notice it.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#81 Post by jindianajonz » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:25 pm

It may just be that Youtube video, but there's a little bit of information missing on the right edge of the blu-ray throughout most of those shots

rspaight

#82 Post by rspaight » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:51 am

I ran into the pause-that-doesn't-pause in the Muppet Movie, and it's the stupidest thing ever in the history of home video. When I pause the movie, it's because there's something else I need to pay attention to, and I can't do that if fucking Fozzie Bear is yelling at me. So I have to pause *and* mute. Dumb dumb dumb. What donut-addled focus group came up with this?

zedz

#83 Post by zedz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:43 pm

That just sounds incredibly dumb, though the prize for stupidest functionality (though it's deliberately, brilliantly stupid) has to be the "forced play mode" on the DVD for Chris Morris' Jam (selectable from a menu of a whole lot of other completely ridiculous ways to watch the series). Despite all the warnings that you really don't want to select this mode, I couldn't resist, and it really does do what it threatens to do: plays every last second of the material on the disc from start to finish, with no way of interrupting it until it's done. All controls on your player and remote are disabled, so you basically have to switch the thing off entirely to end the horror.

But describing it that way, it actually sounds less annoying - if only because it's easier to avoid - than what's been done to these releases. It's like Disney can only conceive of one specific scenario for anybody ever wanting to pause the film: if you're watching the movie in a room full of volatile, potentially violent or destructive kids with absolutely no discipline and an attention span of three seconds, and you're called away to deal with some urgent situation in another room, and just letting the film continue playing for a couple of minutes is for some reason absolutely not an option. For any other scenario (e.g. watching the film with non-psychotic children; dealing with an urgent situation in the room full of psychotic ones) you have no reasonable option. (And let me guess: stopping the film means you have to reload the disc and start from the beginning, including going through all the promos).

Matt

#84 Post by Matt » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:53 pm

I would have to verify, but I think "stop" actually works as it should, resuming the film where you left off.

manicsounds

#85 Post by manicsounds » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:51 pm

On the Wreck-It-Ralph BD, there was a function to turn the intermission videos on/off. I don't know about the other discs, but yes, it's a dumb idea.

zedz

#86 Post by zedz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Matt wrote:I would have to verify, but I think "stop" actually works as it should, resuming the film where you left off.
That would be sensible, but I've had Disney BluRays where this didn't work (which is also intensely annoying). And maybe this is something that varies from player to player too?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#87 Post by cdnchris » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:14 am

My daughter paused one of these and then came back and basically sat there watching it thinking it was part of the movie and was incredibly confused by it. They then make it more complicated for her (a 4-year old) to start it up again because if I recall the Play button doesn't work and you have to hit something else, like Enter. When I explained it her response was something along the lines of "but when you pause that means the movie shouldn't play." I think even she thought it was stupid.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#88 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:42 am

Yes, a little text box says "Press enter to exit the intermission"-- almost makes one misty-eyed for those giant white plastic clamshell VHS cases

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#89 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:23 am

domino harvey wrote:Press enter to exit
How intuitive!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#90 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:23 am

Zot!

#91 Post by Zot! » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:35 am

That sounds abomindable. Furthermore, the "fastplay" feature found on Disney discs is downright evil. It's a ploy to allow for the feature to begin without intervention, only once the kids have sat through half a dozen advertisements for Disney product. If you hit "menu" and start, the feature will start MUCH faster than using FASTplay, and doesn't require them to be bombarded by marketing.

Feego

#92 Post by Feego » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Feego wrote:There have been some complaints online about changes that were made to The Little Mermaid in the new Blu edition. This YouTube video shows the discrepancies between the Blu and the 2006 DVD, including differences in the opening credits and color timing changes. These are all pretty minor IMO, but if you skip to the 3:00 mark on the video, two shots during the "Part of Your World" number have inexplicably switched places, and it's pretty jarring once you notice it.
Disney is offering an exchange program if you would like a new Little Mermaid disc that corrects the errors I mentioned above. Info at The Digital Bits.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#93 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:56 am

zedz wrote:
Matt wrote:I would have to verify, but I think "stop" actually works as it should, resuming the film where you left off.
That would be sensible, but I've had Disney BluRays where this didn't work (which is also intensely annoying). And maybe this is something that varies from player to player too?
As I understand it, the problem is this:

1) The Blu-ray spec doesn't include resume functionality for discs with BD-Java.
2) Programming voodoo makes it possible to use BD-Java itself to add resume functionality on a BD-J disc, but since this is a non-standard solution, its implementation will vary from company to company or title to title, and might not work across all players.

manicsounds

#94 Post by manicsounds » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:01 am

Well, I sent Disney customer service an email. Hopefully they can also help out overseas buyers.

manicsounds

#95 Post by manicsounds » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:52 am

bluraydefinition review of "Mary Poppins"

Unlike the UK release, this does include the lossless Master Audio 7.1 track.

captveg

#96 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:14 pm

6/10/14

Spike Lee Joint Collection Vol. 1 - 25th Hour (2002) / He Got Game (1998)
Spike Lee Joint Collection Vol. 2 - Summer of Sam (1999) / Miracle at St. Anna (2008)

Per amazon.com

mteller

#97 Post by mteller » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:19 pm

still no Crooklyn :(

willoneill

#98 Post by willoneill » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Crooklyn's with Universal.

manicsounds

#99 Post by manicsounds » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 pm

So much for the Criterion rumors of 25th Hour then

manicsounds

#100 Post by manicsounds » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:54 pm

captveg wrote:6/10/14

Spike Lee Joint Collection Vol. 1 - 25th Hour (2002) / He Got Game (1998)
Spike Lee Joint Collection Vol. 2 - Summer of Sam (1999) / Miracle at St. Anna (2008)

Per amazon.com
Each movie comes with a new commentary by Lee