Warner Catalog Titles on BD/UHD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Warner Catalog Titles on BD/UHD

#976 Post by tenia » Tue May 23, 2023 10:01 am

Yeah, he's no "jack ass".

However, it's quite clear that he often has issues accepting that works from fellow colleagues of him can be legitimately criticized, but it also has become clear to me over the years that he's not that good at reviewing digital presentations (like BDs and UHDs). He often struggles to notice DNR, EE and poor compression (while overly focusing on color-grading - meaning if the colors look good, he's likely to overlook everything else), and it's no surprise to me that he, for instance, never noticed the issues on the new Picnic at Hanging Rock restoration. While he's clearly very knowledgeable when it comes to work on a restoration, he seems to be much less so when it comes to judging one, and his track record is spotty at best in this department.

I'm not surprised he'd thus decide "not to step into this fray", since it's likely both issues are colliding : he wouldn't be accurate enough to spot precisely the issues and assess them properly, but it's likely he's also unwilling to spend this time writing negative comments on a WB release.

As a whole, that's why I usually take HTF board with a pinch of salt, especially since they have quite a few other members not too good at realising when something isn't right (and can defend even BD releases sourced from SD upscales). So not only they're not very good at it, but when you go there to try and add a more discriminant look, you end up having to deal with members treating you like a moronic obsessed nitpicker, and it usually takes pages and pages for them to finally realise there IS an issue and it IS visible (if they ever do).

Eg : Paramount's Last Train to Gun Hill and its ghosting issues, for which I'm quite sure "Robert Crawford" still believes the Paramount disc has no issue. It took quite some time for RAH to realise the new To Catch a Thief disc wasn't the result of mistakes, but was purposedly restored like this, just like he originally scored Criterion's Madame de a perfect 5 (but has then half-assed updated his post to the point it's now barely readable).

FrauBlucher

#977 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue May 23, 2023 11:30 am

It’s not speculation. He is clearly choosing the WB relationship over getting involved in a discussion of a questionable release. Which taints his ability to be fair going forward.

Jack ass may have been a little too tough. But for someone who has shown rudeness over on that forum, a little returned rudeness can’t hurt.

Anyway, Tenia pretty much summed it up.

ryannichols7

#978 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue May 23, 2023 3:40 pm

Rio Bravo and East of Eden are coming 18 July on UHD as individual releases in the US

ford

#979 Post by ford » Tue May 23, 2023 4:32 pm

Just saw HBOMAX ("Max" pffft) has RIO BRAVO up in 4k/Dolby Vision. But for some reason, when I try to play it on my TV or computer it just stalls at a black screen.

Anyone get a look at it yet?

therewillbeblus

#980 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 23, 2023 4:55 pm

ford wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:32 pm
Just saw HBOMAX ("Max" pffft) has RIO BRAVO up in 4k/Dolby Vision. But for some reason, when I try to play it on my TV or computer it just stalls at a black screen.
Part of what "Max" is offering is a new, more expensive plan to stream content they've acquired in 4K, so I imagine that those of us with grandfathered plans will have issues accessing that content, or at least in optimal quality (apparently there's a six month grace period before we can change plans?) It would be ridiculous if that stopped you from watching the movie altogether though

ford

#981 Post by ford » Tue May 23, 2023 5:13 pm

Ugh. Didn’t think about that being the culprit. Such a lovely touch from our overlords, after they cheapen their own product at Wall Street’s behest and now put us out of work for, likely, all of summer.

Matt

Warner Catalog Titles on BD/UHD

#982 Post by Matt » Tue May 23, 2023 5:45 pm

I believe the Max 4K content is only available at the highest subscription tier at $20 a month. Lower tiers get 1080p only. This is the same as what Netflix offers.

If you have the highest tier and still had trouble playing 4K stuff today, there was a short down period earlier today that seems fixed now. Rio Bravo plays for me on my cheap-ass ad-supported subscription.

I was not as wowed by the Rio Bravo restoration as I expected to be, but I think there are just inherent limitations on what this film is going to look like.

therewillbeblus

#983 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue May 23, 2023 7:02 pm

I don't care about changing plans that much, but I've been really surprised at how terrible the video quality is on their platform since I signed up a couple months ago. It can be abysmal, like a really bad YT stream. If they're going to provide restored quality to some of the classic HBO shows that play poorly now, I'd easily upgrade. If they're just going to be offering this for some new movies added, then I don't really care because I'll buy discs if available. But making dedicated subscribers wait a long window as they roll out these features with public excitement feels oddly exclusionary

Finch

#984 Post by Finch » Sun May 28, 2023 1:42 pm

The best Batman movie, animated or otherwise, Mask of the Phantasm, is getting a 4k reissue on September 12. I have it as part of the boxset with the animated series but would get a separate copy so long as the encoding turns out to be handled by the same team that does the WAC releases. Would be a shame if this turns into another Max Fleischer's Superman fiasco.

captveg

#986 Post by captveg » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:06 pm

Finch wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:42 pm
The best Batman movie, animated or otherwise, Mask of the Phantasm, is getting a 4k reissue on September 12. I have it as part of the boxset with the animated series but would get a separate copy so long as the encoding turns out to be handled by the same team that does the WAC releases. Would be a shame if this turns into another Max Fleischer's Superman fiasco.
None of Warner's UHDs are authored by those who author WAC BDs, even if some UHDs get WAC style distribution.

yoloswegmaster

#987 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:48 am

Several listings for a 4K release of Se7en have been found on Zavvi and HMV. No set release date yet.

JPJ

#988 Post by JPJ » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:00 am

The same guy just posted a video about The Maltese Falcon UHD,he thinks that the disc "needs to be completely redone".

hearthesilence

#989 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:08 pm

JPJ wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:00 am
The same guy just posted a video about The Maltese Falcon UHD,he thinks that the disc "needs to be completely redone".
Wow. I guess I'll stick with the "old" Blu-ray for now, which at least looks great (though I also see he wishes the Warner Archive would have handled it as it would have probably gotten a higher bitrate and retained dropped extras).