Lethal Weapon Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
flyonthewall2983

Lethal Weapon Collection

#1 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:41 pm

dx23

Re: Lethal Weapon Collection

#2 Post by dx23 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:57 pm

Finally, although I could certainly do without the last one. Still, it doesn't specify if the releases will have the theatrical or director's cuts.

flyonthewall2983

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:55 pm

The page was updated with the full list of special features
Lethal Weapon features:
- Commentary by Richard Donner
- Deleted scenes
- Honeymoon Suite's "Lethal Weapon" music video
- Theatrical trailer
Lethal Weapon 2 features:
- Deleted scenes
- Stunts & Action featurette
- Theatrical trailer
Lethal Weapon 3 features:
- Deleted scenes
- Sting and Eric Clapton's "It's Probably Me" music video
- Teaser trailer
- Theatrical trailer
Lethal Weapon 4 features:
- Commentary by Richard Donner, J. Mills Goodloe, and Geoff Johns
- Pure Lethal featurette
- Outtakes
- Deleted scenes
- Theatrical trailer
Four-part I'm Too Old for This Sh*t: Lethal Weapon and the Hollywood Monster It Created retrospective:
- Pulling the Trigger: Expanding the World of Lethal Weapon
- Psycho Pension: The Genesis of Lethal Weapon
- Maximum Impact: The Legacy of Lethal Weapon
- A Family Affair: Bringing Lethal Weapon to Life

Forrest Taft

#4 Post by Forrest Taft » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:57 pm

According to the comments on the page you linked to the specs are identical to the already released (and very cheap) UK set. As its Warner, I assume it's region free. I might get this, if only for the first two and the bonus disc.

flyonthewall2983

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:50 pm

2 is good, as is 3. 4 has it's moments, but pretty clear by then the franchise lost it's steam.
RobertAltman wrote:According to the comments on the page you linked to the specs are identical to the already released (and very cheap) UK set. As its Warner, I assume it's region free.
It is region-free, actually. And according to an extensive review on it's Amazon page, the films are the theatrical cuts. And according to the review, the "directors cuts" were actually put together by Warner Bros. without Richard Donner's involvement (though it had his blessing apparently). The scenes used in those versions are here as deleted scenes.
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forrest Taft

#6 Post by Forrest Taft » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Maybe the US set will have new transfers? Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've seen both theatrical and director's cut versions, and the deleted material makes little difference. I'll probabaly get the UK set. Also, I prefer the fourth entry to number three. It may have less "charm" (though I'm not even sure I agree eith this), but it is also less stupid, less terrible, etc.

flyonthewall2983

#7 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:29 pm

The first one is still the best, though a great number of people say 2 is better. It straddled the line between comedy and drama as best one can in a Hollywood action film, something lost gradually as the sequels piled up.

Is it safe to assume this was released in the UK first because of the hype surrounding you-know-who's controversy a few years ago?

colinr0380

#8 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:55 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:2 is good, as is 3. 4 has it's moments, but pretty clear by then the franchise lost it's steam.
It is a great example of a series getting more and more complacent and too in love with its main characters, and eventually its extended family surrounding them, turning from something relatively interesting and adult for a mainstream genre film in the first to a total love-in by the fourth (at least have Joe Pesci killed off to create some drama! No? OK then). Number 4 is particularly terrible because it also totally wastes Jet Li in his US debut by reining him in due to the focus being on the two geriatric cops lumbering around. It would be akin to hiring Jackie Chan and then making him do CGI enhanced stunts or buddy comedy rather than lots of action showing off his physicality.

Though the fourth does feature (unfortunately) my father's favourite film line, spoken by one of the Chinese bad guys, which he insists on quoting at the most excruciatingly embarrassing moments: "I said fried rice, you plick!"

flyonthewall2983

#9 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 am

Blu-ray.com review. Really quite bummed there's no isolated scores or anything of length on the documentary disc about Kamen, Clapton and Sanborn's work.