Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
andyli

Re: Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

#326 Post by andyli » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:35 pm

It's a Wonderful Life 4K restoration trailer.

hearthesilence

#327 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:16 pm

It's tough to tell on my screen (not to mention the YouTube compression scheme that is probably a factor, even at 1080p) but does anyone else think the image looks a little too clean? The details are crisper, but I don't like the texture (or lack thereof) on certain shots.

movielocke

#328 Post by movielocke » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:59 pm

hearthesilence wrote:It's tough to tell on my screen (not to mention the YouTube compression scheme that is probably a factor, even at 1080p) but does anyone else think the image looks a little too clean? The details are crisper, but I don't like the texture (or lack thereof) on certain shots.
No idea since I watched it on my phone but I’ve seen three or four 35mm prints of this and it looks so much better than the ancient dvd I have. Tv airings over the decades would have been 16mm reductions of late generation 35mm prints, reductions eventually transferred to tape and then migrated to other tapes until airing off tape petered out—all of which is a long winded way to say that a grainy look to the film is an artifact of generation loss through the airing chain and not remotely reflective of the look of the film. Even my old dvd is clearly taken from a decent but late generation positive. And it doesn’t look like the newer generation 35mm prints I’ve seen in the past few years (but pretty similar to the first 35mm I saw about fifteen years ago). One striking thing I’ve noticed from my last viewing of a print five or six years ago was how incredibly good it looked, to the point of being able to easily identify the soap bubbles in the background snow if you were looking for it. Given the lenses and stocks they were working with in 45/46 for fully lit studio shoots (so very low asa very fine grained negative) it should have exposed a really exceptional fine grained image on the negative.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#329 Post by Drucker » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:59 pm

How about we don't spend a month talking about what a restoration trailer looks like.

FrauBlucher

#330 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:39 pm

Is anyone else surprised that Atlantic City has not been released on bluray or at least licensed out? Not even sure if the Paramount DVD is still in print. Could there be a rights issue for this? This seems like it could be solid Criterion release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#331 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:41 pm

I could see it coming from MOC, seems up their alley

The Fanciful Norwegian

#332 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Atlantic City is still listed as a Paramount title on digital storefronts (iTunes/Google Play/Prime Video) so it looks like they're still the U.S. distributor, even if their DVD is OOP. I don't think Paramount ever had the film in the UK—Arrow released the original UK DVD and I'm sure they wouldn't mind reissuing it (all the moreso if they could also get the U.S. rights from Paramount), but the most recent DVD is from Network and it's still listed on their website, so the UK rights might still be with them.
Last edited by The Fanciful Norwegian on Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#333 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Also, looks like Gaumont put it out on Blu-ray already too

fdm

#334 Post by fdm » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:59 pm

And it was teal.

FrauBlucher

#335 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:03 pm

Oh right, I forgot Gaumont release.

Tenia said this about the Gaumont release...
I had a look at Atlantic City, and it looks rather good too. It has less of a color timing bias, though it seems a tad cold and a bit too bright to me. Otherwise, it's fine.
Well, Paramount is the worst of the majors in getting their catalogue out on bluray. For christ's sakes, A Place in the Sun still hasn't been released.

fdm

#336 Post by fdm » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:08 pm

See tenia's screen captures in this thread.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#337 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:28 pm

In retrospect, I'd say it's not so much tealed to death than Eclair-ed. I'm quite sure I've seen worse though, but it's logical some took offense on this look, while I might have been a bit too kind with it.

FrauBlucher

#338 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:37 pm

THanks.. Aunt Peg had this to say on that bluray.com thread
Got my Atlantic City & Black Moon today. Black Moon looks sensational and Atlantic City problematic.

The blue tinge in Atlantic City is not an accurate colour of the film. The American DVD is far closer as the skin tones etc are all normal look. In the blu ray they all have milk coloured skin.

Also the title appearance is at different times. The American DVD starts with Susan Sarandon washing her breasts with lemon juice whilst Burt Lancaster looks on from another flat. He lights up a smoke and continues to watch at which time we get a close up of Sarandon washing her breasts again. Then it's back to Lancaster, still smoking and watching the the credits start to appear.

In the French Blu Ray Sarandan is washing, Lancaster looks and that's that. No further scenes of him looking and no credits. The credit for the film appear about 10 minutes later.

Hope someone will redo Atlantic City properly.
So, I'll take a pass and hope for a region A release.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#339 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:16 pm

I'd have a hard time saying Black Moon is wonderful looking and Atlantic City awful. For what it's worth, Black Moon also is quite cold looking and you can easily guess Eclair graded this one. The difference I guess is that it might be a bit subtler than Atlantic City, it beats the Criterion BD quite much, and Aunt Peg has a more vivid memory of Atlantic City but not of Black Moon.
I made a few caps for my review here.

captveg

#340 Post by captveg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:56 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:39 pm
Is anyone else surprised that Atlantic City has not been released on bluray or at least licensed out? Not even sure if the Paramount DVD is still in print. Could there be a rights issue for this? This seems like it could be solid Criterion release.
This is one of the "limbo" titles. By that I mean Paramount has a policy to not license out titles they themselves released on DVD. (They have broken this policy for a handful of titles, but only with Criterion). So, titles like Atlantic City, Roman Holiday, Hud, Paper Moon, Bringing Out the Dead, The Court Jester, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, and The Tenant are languishing on the Blu-ray sideline in North America, because Paramount won't release them themselves, nor will they license them to Kino/Shout/Arrow. So while it's great that Kino (and Olive before them) were able to license so many Republic holdings and never-before-on-DVD titles from Paramount, these more prestigious/popular titles remain absent on Blu-ray.

Disney has the same archaic policy for their Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures titles they didn't previously package to Mill Creek.

FrauBlucher

#341 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:37 pm

What a shitty policy. Can Paramount’s rights lapse with Malle’s estate or one of the number of production companies take back rights?

captveg

#342 Post by captveg » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:48 am

With the new animated feature coming out, Paramount will finally be releasing Addams Family Values (1993) on Blu-ray on 10/1/19 (along with reissuing the first film).

Far more surprising, though, is the 9/24/19 release of the Holocaust (1978) Mini-Series.

Monterey Jack

#343 Post by Monterey Jack » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Hopefully this means that the Paramount Vault is finally beginning to crack open. They've been holding too many great films hostage from being preserved on an HD disc for too long.

captveg

#344 Post by captveg » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:53 pm

CBS/Paramount are also releasing The Stand (1994) Mini-Series on 9/24/19

Monterey Jack

#345 Post by Monterey Jack » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:01 pm

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-vide ... s-include/

A ton of Paramount titles coming from Scream Factory, which is a very encouraging sign for consumers of physical media. :D

FrauBlucher

#347 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 pm

Paramount loves milking this one title. I can't wait for the holographic version of this.

EddieLarkin

#348 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:42 pm

The Blu-ray was already poor and outdated quality wise when it was first released 10 years ago. A modern 4K transfer is long overdue. Making it available on UHD with HDR is a sweetener (the latter of which does not imply revisionism, as many will mistakenly think).

FrauBlucher

#349 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:43 am

I appreciate their effort to put out IAWL in the best way possible, especially after several Anniversary editions of the same dated transfer. But where in the world are the other great Paramount catalogue titles that seem to be entombed like a bunch of mummies?

senseabove

#350 Post by senseabove » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:58 pm

Just read through the description and this seems unusual: "The 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack includes the black-and-white film in 4K high definition, as well as a colorized version on Blu-ray, along with three special features new to 4K Blu-ray disc: "Restoring a Beloved Classic," "Secrets from the Vault," and "It's A Wonderful Wrap Party." A 2-Disc Blu-ray set will also be available that includes the newly remastered film in black-and-white, along with a colorized version and the three special features listed above."

So you can get the B&W 4K + Colorized BD, OR you can get the B&W BD + Colorized BD. But there's no "future proofing" option if you want the B&W BD now and the B&W 4k disc for later.

And is this the first 4k release of a born-B&W, studio-era film (i.e. excluding the modern B&W de-colorizations like Mad Max)?