Chris Marker on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
denti alligator

#1 Post by denti alligator » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:19 am

What's available?*

And why isn't there more available?

* I'm aware of the R2 La Jetee / Sans Soleil disc, which has the former film only in an English dubbed version, making it unappealing to me.

jesus the mexican boi

#2 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:29 am

La Jetee was also released on a SHORT disc, one of the first ones, but it too is in English, albeit a version that Marker not only approved but "liked."

Ah, a quick hunt shows it's SHORT: VOLUME 2: DREAMS. (The one with Malcolm McDowell on the (original) cover).

unclehulot

#3 Post by unclehulot » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:58 am

A. K. is on UK and Australian dvd releases, coupled with Ran. Reportedly the Aussie version looks better, and it is 16:9 enhanced, unlike the UK version.

Cinephrenic

#4 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:18 am

The Short 2 disc is OOP. I just sold mine on Amazon.com for $89 the first day I listed it, but the disc has other great shorts as well. Worth a view, but i'm not sure if anyone is willing to pay a higher price.

San Soliel is coming from New Yorker sometime later this year or the next.

tristan

#5 Post by tristan » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:26 am

$89??? I better sell that shit and get the R2 with Sans Soleil.

Gregory

#6 Post by Gregory » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:55 am

Anyone looked at the Immemory CD-ROM? I located a cheap copy but didn't buy it because it was for Mac, and our home computer is a PC. I am curious about it, though.

criterionsnob

#7 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:35 am

Gregory wrote:Anyone looked at the Immemory CD-ROM? I located a cheap copy but didn't buy it because it was for Mac, and our home computer is a PC. I am curious about it, though.
There's a short clip from Immemory as an extra on the La Jetee / Sans Soleil R2 disc (which I just watched last night). The clip showed a silhouetted hand in front of manipulated video images (similar to those in Sans Soleil). From what I've read, the CD-ROM has a lot of text content (there are French and English versions available).

I'll probably end up buying it because it's fairly cheap and I have a Mac.

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#8 Post by ola t » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:55 am

denti alligator wrote:I'm aware of the R2 La Jetee / Sans Soleil disc, which has the former film only in an English dubbed version, making it unappealing to me.
No, it has both films in two versions: French narration and English narration. Did you know that Marker prefers native-language narration to subtitles, and that he's usually actively involved in the creation of the English version? There's no dialogue in these films, so it's not accurate to call them "dubbed". Edited to add: Oops, this applies to the French edition only, apparently -- see unclehulot's post below.

It seems that Arte (R2, France) have already released his latest film, Chats perchés, on DVD (no English version), and will also be putting out The Last Bolshevik as a double feature with Medvedkin's Happiness (language features unknown, at least to me).

Edited to add: Oh, and I forgot -- there's an uncensored version of Statues Also Die (co-directed with Resnais) on the French edition of Hiroshima mon amour. (Also French only.)
Last edited by ola t on Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#9 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:24 am

David Thomson speaks very highly about the Immemory disc on the Matrix commentary, when he is talking about it being an example of the direction filmmaking might take in the future, with the audience being able to create their own film (and thereby leave out all the bits they don't like!). It sounds interesting, but sadly am Mac-less myself!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikebowes

#10 Post by mikebowes » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:35 am

There are two new Chris Marker discs coming out in France soon:

Chats perch�s - which I am not at all familair with, anyone else?
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007MYPPW
and

Le bonheur / Le tombeau d'Alexandre - �dition 2 DVD
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007MYPPM

unclehulot

#11 Post by unclehulot » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:46 am

ola t wrote:
denti alligator wrote:I'm aware of the R2 La Jetee / Sans Soleil disc, which has the former film only in an English dubbed version, making it unappealing to me.
No, it has both films in two versions: French narration and English narration. Did you know that Marker prefers native-language narration to subtitles, and that he's usually actively involved in the creation of the English version? There's no dialogue in these films, so it's not accurate to call them "dubbed".
There are two issues of this on DVD on R2 discs, and the UK one that I have has ONLY the English soundtracks.

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#12 Post by ola t » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:58 am

unclehulot wrote:There are two issues of this on DVD on R2 discs, and the UK one that I have has ONLY the English soundtracks.
Oh -- sorry about that. I thought the French and UK editions were identical.

Cinephrenic

#13 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:02 pm

They got to be nuts if they don't include La Jetee in this. We know its there. Shit yeah.

backstreetsbackalright

#14 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:43 pm

I emailed New Yorker films and asked them what plans, if any, they had for Sans Soleil on DVD. Got this reply:

"It's being released by Criterion. You can check their page for release date."
I got the same thing from New Yorker back in early March. I asked about Marker releases and was told
I think the Marker is being produced by Criterion.
I pressed for further details, and was met with silence. I posted this in the New Yorker Boutique Label thread, which probably wasn't the best spot for it. I wonder why this time they said to look for it on Criterion's release schedule? Seems odd.

zedz

#15 Post by zedz » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:48 pm

cinephrenic wrote:They got to be nuts if they don't include La Jetee in this. We know its there. Shit yeah.
That would be great, of course, but I think La Jetee is one short film that could easily support a stand-alone release, like Night and Fog, and I think it deserves its own spine number. It could provide a terrific backbone for some other Marker shorts, and there must be a lot of potential supporting material (I don't imagine they could stop Gilliam from recording an introduction).

Actually, Sans Soleil is a film that cries out for encyclopaedic extras. Marker has done a lot of additional work on Vertigo for example, and surely that belongs on there.

Oedipax

#16 Post by Oedipax » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:52 pm

I would love to see sequential Marker spines the collection, as with Night and Fog & Hiroshima mon amour. I definitely think La Jetee deserves a separate, low-priced release maybe with an introduction or commentary or something, but save the real wealth of extras for a 2-disc Sans Soleil (wow, just the idea of it!)...

backstreetsbackalright

#17 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:25 am

Heard back from Artificial Eye already! I asked if they still had plans to release the Tarkovsky Companion DVD(s) and, if so, when. I also asked if there was any more Marker material in the works. Here is the response:
We do & yes it will include the Marker doc. No exact date yet - sometime later this year.

We don't own the rights to any other Chris Marker films.
Best regards
Robert Beeson

backstreetsbackalright

#18 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:23 pm

In the latest ish of Cinemascope, Jonathan Rosenbaum says that the French DVD of The Last Bolshevik is subtitled. Can anyone chime in to confirm or deny this allegation?

backstreetsbackalright

#19 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:03 pm

backstreetsbackalright wrote:In the latest ish of Cinemascope, Jonathan Rosenbaum says that the French DVD of The Last Bolshevik is subtitled. Can anyone chime in to confirm or deny this allegation?
In answer to my own question, both discs in this package are subtitled in English. The Marker disc also has an English audio option. This is possibly my favorite DVD of 2005. Oh, and I should mention that the packaging differs from the image shown on Amazon. It's better, actually.

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B ... 130446844/

Eric

#20 Post by Eric » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:58 am

Also, it's open region.

backstreetsbackalright

#21 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:06 pm

Eric wrote:Also, it's open region.
True that!

Kinsayder

#22 Post by Kinsayder » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:53 pm

The new Arte Video release of Tarkovsky's Sacrifice comes with Chris Marker's documentary about Tarkovsky, "Cinéma de notre temps : Une journée d'Andrei Arsenevitch" (2000 - 52').

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/dvd.php?id=21114

solaris72

#23 Post by solaris72 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:08 am

Les Astronautes, a partially animated collaboration between Marker and recently-deceased filmmaker Walerian Borowczyk, will be a special feature on the Cult Epics release of Borowczyk's Goto, Island of Love.

backstreetsbackalright

#24 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:14 pm

Kinsayder wrote:The new Arte Video release of Tarkovsky's Sacrifice comes with Chris Marker's documentary about Tarkovsky, "Cinéma de notre temps : Une journée d'Andrei Arsenevitch" (2000 - 52').

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/dvd.php?id=21114
Looks like no English subs, though.

Kinsayder

#25 Post by Kinsayder » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:47 pm

Le souvenir d'un avenir (2001), by Yannick Bellon and Chris Marker, is an extra on this double disc set of Bellon's L'Amour nu & L'Affut:

http://www.doriane-films.com/pages/dvd_ ... mournu.htm

No subtitles, by the look of it.