Elia Kazan Film Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Elia Kazan Film Collection

#26 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:50 pm

Never forget his commentary for Whirlpool: "Some people think Otto Preminger was a genius and some think he was talentless. I'm somewhere in the middle"-- RIVETING INSIGHTS

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Well, the set arrived with every disc scratched to high heaven. But I'm about 95% sure the problem isn't the packaging, at least not once it left the plant: Several had fingerprints that weren't mine, meaning the packing plant people were doing this manually and barehanded, which probably explains all the scratches (manual workers methodically shoving discs into perforated slots is not going to result in care being taken). Also several of the discs were speckled with a mystery material that would not come off with rubbing and which will surely render them unplayable. This is a nice looking disaster. I'm sending my set back after I try to watch the new to DVD titles (if I can even get them to play) and not re-ordering, as I doubt any set isn't a total wreck like this one. Awful, just fucking awful

ShowsOn

#28 Post by ShowsOn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:35 am

domino harvey wrote:Well, the set arrived with every disc scratched to high heaven. But I'm about 95% sure the problem isn't the packaging, at least not once it left the plant: Several had fingerprints that weren't mine, meaning the packing plant people were doing this manually and barehanded, which probably explains all the scratches (manual workers methodically shoving discs into perforated slots is not going to result in care being taken). Also several of the discs were speckled with a mystery material that would not come off with rubbing and which will surely render them unplayable.
That's exactly what happened to my Ford at Fox box. Terrible packaging. Amazon were willing to exchange it for another one, but it cost me over $100 to send it back to the U.S. Of course Amazon refunded that postage cost, but it meant they didn't make a cent on the sale.

Calvin

#29 Post by Calvin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:17 am

Looks like the Blu-Ray edition(s) might be coming sooner than et thought:

Vol. 1
Vol. 2

peerpee
not perpee

#30 Post by peerpee » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:23 pm

Why do they insist on saying "FULLSCREEN" so prominently on everything? What does that even mean anymore? They might as well say "CIRCULAR RECEPTACLE" too.

Dick Laurent

#31 Post by Dick Laurent » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:11 am

It's great the blu's are about to released, but why didn't they do it together with the DVDs.
It was released november 2010, not that long ago.
I'm very happy with my dvd-box, but I really like Kazans work so probably will upgrade..
I guess these 2 will be the only one's ? With rumours about On the Waterfront going to criterion.

Cash Flagg

#32 Post by Cash Flagg » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:35 pm

Calvin wrote:Looks like the Blu-Ray edition(s) might be coming sooner than et thought:

Vol. 1
Vol. 2
As noted on Fox Connect's front page, signing up for their newsletter gives you an additional 10% off. I was able to order the two Kazan sets for $80.98 shipped.

manicsounds

#33 Post by manicsounds » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:31 pm

What are the language options on the Blurays?

perkizitore

#34 Post by perkizitore » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Cash Flagg wrote:
Calvin wrote:Looks like the Blu-Ray edition(s) might be coming sooner than et thought:

Vol. 1
Vol. 2
As noted on Fox Connect's front page, signing up for their newsletter gives you an additional 10% off. I was able to order the two Kazan sets for $80.98 shipped.
Are the discount codes unique?

Jean-Luc Garbo

#35 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:46 am

Wild River will be released in separate DVD and BD editions on 1/15.

hearthesilence

#36 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:26 am

Excellent!

Jean-Luc Garbo

#37 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Beev on the Wild River blu.