Institute Benjamenta

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: Institute Benjamenta

#76 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 14, 2010 6:39 am

frankiecrisp wrote:I got my copy this morning and I hate this duel format. there is a horrible gray sticker on the top of the box that leaves a terrible mess when you try to open the box and is very hard to remove, I have now got to order some spare blu-ray boxes to replace this mess. what was wrong with the normal blu-ray boxes without this stupid label ?
This has already been discussed on the main BFI thread, but the intention was for the sticker to be affixed to the shrinkwrapping, not the box, and BFI DVD Publishing was as annoyed as anyone to find out what happened. Which is why they issued a pre-emptive warning in advance of release.

While this won't resolve your present issue, you can rest assured that all subsequent Dual Format editions will appear as originally intended - it's just this initial batch of three (Benjamenta and the two new Flipsides) that are affected.
RossyG wrote:What sort of box did Institute Benjamenta come in? Pleasure Girls came in a regular shaped BD case; the only difference was that it was made of clear, rather than blue, plastic.
All three Dual Format releases are in the same clear plastic case.

frankiecrisp

#77 Post by frankiecrisp » Fri May 14, 2010 6:49 am

Thanks for the wd40 tip I will try that. The case is a clear plastic which is fine without the sticker but I hope they put the sticker on the film wrap in future.

MichaelB

#78 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 14, 2010 3:11 pm

MichaelB

#79 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 14, 2010 3:24 pm

perkizitore

#80 Post by perkizitore » Fri May 14, 2010 5:42 pm

This is Pierrot Le Fou all over again:
The DVD contains 'The Pleasure Girls' instead of the feature in SD! I should have guessed from Michael's comments that this was the issue.
I may keep the DVD as a collectible item!

frankiecrisp

#81 Post by frankiecrisp » Sat May 15, 2010 5:04 am

perkizitore wrote:This is Pierrot Le Fou all over again:
The DVD contains 'The Pleasure Girls' instead of the feature in SD! I should have guessed from Michael's comments that this was the issue.
I may keep the DVD as a collectible item!

Ive just checked the dvd and its the Pleasure Girls :( I wonder if HMV will do the same as they did with Pierrot Le Fou and email everyone who had this batch and offer to replace them. How does this happen is there no quality control ? they should be checked before release.

MichaelB

#82 Post by MichaelB » Sat May 15, 2010 5:38 am

frankiecrisp wrote:Ive just checked the dvd and its the Pleasure Girls :( I wonder if HMV will do the same as they did with Pierrot Le Fou and email everyone who had this batch and offer to replace them.
Don't worry - everyone who ended up with a faulty disc will get it replaced as a matter of urgency.
How does this happen is there no quality control ? they should be checked before release.
A straightforward error at the pressing plant: it's never happened to a BFI release before, so it took everyone by surprise. As soon as it was spotted, retailers were informed - but one had already started shipping copies several days in advance of the original release date.

perkizitore

#83 Post by perkizitore » Sat May 15, 2010 9:36 am

This is no fault of BFI's quality control, is just simple idiocy on behalf of the pressing plant.

frankiecrisp

#84 Post by frankiecrisp » Sat May 15, 2010 11:26 am

MichaelB wrote:

A straightforward error at the pressing plant: it's never happened to a BFI release before, so it took everyone by surprise. As soon as it was spotted, retailers were informed - but one had already started shipping copies several days in advance of the original release date.
Thanks for the info. I don't blame BFI the pressing plant should have checked the discs I wonder if its the same pressing plant that had the problems with the Godard blu-ray.

perkizitore

#85 Post by perkizitore » Sat May 15, 2010 3:43 pm

If it is, they seriously need to sack somebody... =P~

denti alligator

#86 Post by denti alligator » Tue May 18, 2010 9:28 am

frankiecrisp

#87 Post by frankiecrisp » Tue May 18, 2010 11:55 am

MichaelB wrote:
frankiecrisp wrote:Ive just checked the dvd and its the Pleasure Girls :( I wonder if HMV will do the same as they did with Pierrot Le Fou and email everyone who had this batch and offer to replace them.
Don't worry - everyone who ended up with a faulty disc will get it replaced as a matter of urgency.
Who do we get a replacement from? Ive been on the phone to HMV today and gave up in the end trying explain that the blu-ray is fine but the dvd is the wrong film. when the same thing happened with Pierrot Le Fou HMV emailed everyone they had sent a faulty copy to with instructions where to send the faulty copy at no cost to get a replacement or a refund.

MichaelB

#88 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 18, 2010 12:43 pm

Full details will be given when replacements are available - there's nothing anyone can do before then.

frankiecrisp

#89 Post by frankiecrisp » Tue May 18, 2010 1:12 pm

MichaelB wrote:Full details will be given when replacements are available - there's nothing anyone can do before then.
Thanks.

MichaelB

#90 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 19, 2010 6:26 am

Some good news for once!

First of all, the replacement copies arrived today. As far as we're aware, the only people who will have ended up with faulty copies are those who bought them through HMV - all other retailers were successfully alerted prior to shipping. So if HMV haven't contacted you already to make arrangements (I understand they should have done), get in touch with them and make use of the same returns policy that you'd use for any unambiguously faulty product.

And the second bit of good news is that the now-notorious Dual Format Edition sticker is on the outside of the shrink-wrapping, as originally intended - and this will now be the case for all subsequent Dual Format releases. In fact, this is also a handy way of ensuring that you've got the corrected version of Institute Benjamenta.

denti alligator

#91 Post by denti alligator » Wed May 19, 2010 9:58 pm

Got my copy today.

The picture is so good I almost cried for joy. The HiDef image on The Comb transformed this film for me. It is THAT good. Now: how can we get the BFI to release the rest of the Quays' shorts on Blu?

MichaelB

#92 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 21, 2010 11:06 am

I can now confirm that online retailers have replacement stocks, and the official release date is 25 May. In practice, this means that orders will probably be shipped immediately.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#93 Post by cdnchris » Sun May 23, 2010 7:27 pm

zedz

#94 Post by zedz » Sun May 23, 2010 8:44 pm

I received my copy today, amazingly enough. I was a little worried because it was despatched just before Michael announced that the corrected copies were available, but its pesky sticker is an 'outie,' so I'm assuming it's the corrected version. Next stop: The Comb.

RossyG

#95 Post by RossyG » Mon May 24, 2010 5:31 am

zedz wrote:I received my copy today, amazingly enough. I was a little worried because it was despatched just before Michael announced that the corrected copies were available, but its pesky sticker is an 'outie,' so I'm assuming it's the corrected version
Easy to check. Just play the DVD and see what's on it.

MichaelB

#96 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 24, 2010 6:22 am

If the grey 'Dual Format' sticker is outside the shrinkwrapping, you can guarantee that it's the corrected version.

zedz

#97 Post by zedz » Mon May 24, 2010 4:29 pm

The Comb did indeed look spectacular. Unfortunately, it's made me realise just how badly I need to see Rehearsals for Extinct Anatomies in HD. Some people are never happy.

Arn777

#98 Post by Arn777 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:53 am

Not sure if it has been linked before, but here is a new short film made for the new Comme des Garçons fragance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxtjoH--GbA

MichaelB

#99 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 25, 2010 8:36 am

zedz wrote:The Comb did indeed look spectacular. Unfortunately, it's made me realise just how badly I need to see Rehearsals for Extinct Anatomies in HD. Some people are never happy.
I haven't seen the HD master either!

But the mere fact that an HD master of Rehearsals exists (along with eleven of the other shorts - The Phantom Museum was designed specifically for SD video) means that a Blu-ray release is far from impossible - though I should stress that there are no concrete plans to reissue the shorts that I'm aware of.

Noiretirc

#100 Post by Noiretirc » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:29 am

Forgive my ignorance, and this pathetic aside, but I never noticed anything other than CC in the review section of the main page before. Is a BFI review a new thing?

I'm very interested in exploring the work of the brothers Quay, mind. The main page pic from this film alone makes me want to go there.