Institute Benjamenta

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Zazou dans le Metro

Re: Institute Benjamenta

#26 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:59 am

Having just put in my order for this (with Red Desert and the new MoCs) as my first excursion into blu I was wondering ,MichaelB, if there are plans to do your Quay package in Blu. Sorry if this has been dealt with before but I couldn't see it referenced.

MichaelB

#27 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:41 am

Zazou dans le Metro wrote:Having just put in my order for this (with Red Desert and the new MoCs) as my first excursion into blu I was wondering ,MichaelB, if there are plans to do your Quay package in Blu. Sorry if this has been dealt with before but I couldn't see it referenced.
I don't know of any concrete plans, but it's certainly viable since twelve out of the thirteen core shorts were mastered to HD. The exception is The Phantom Museum, which was partly shot and entirely post-produced on SD video.

I suspect sales of the Institute Benjamenta Blu-ray might be instrumental in reaching a final decision.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a Blu-ray Svankmajer reissue, though - for various convoluted logistical reasons, it's most unlikely that viable materials for HD remasters of most of the shorts will be available any time soon. It was hard enough getting hold of SD Digibetas that met our standards!

zedz

#28 Post by zedz » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Further to the Walser discussion above and for the record:

I've listened to the commentary on the recent Careful disc, and both Maddin and Toles acknowledge Jakob von Gunten as a source more than once (among lots of other stuff, like mountain films and John Ruskin). Maddin also namechecks the Quays and Institute Benjamenta, distinguishing that film as a "legitimate adaptation" of the Walser novel.

MichaelB

#29 Post by MichaelB » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Couple of updates, with the bad news out of the way first of all: the release has been postponed till early 2010 (probably March) to allow more time to chase up extras and arrange interviews with enthusiastic but busy people. Which is actually good news, as none of us wanted to rush this project.

Other than that, all the various elements are gradually slotting into place. I can't confirm concrete details until everything's signed on the dotted line, but there will certainly be supporting shorts (at least one, hopefully more, in 1080p HD on the Blu-ray), and it's looking very likely that these will include previously unreleased titles.

There's also going to be a brand new retrospective documentary, involving many key participants in the film, which starts shooting later this week - I'm doing the interviewing, though off-camera and hopefully off-soundtrack too if it works out as planned.

What A Disgrace

#30 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:57 am

I had a suspicion that this would be delayed, but wanting to make it the best disc it can possibly be is a darn good reason for it. I'm really looking forward to it. In any case, if BFI wants to try to outdo 2009's lineup with 2010's lineup, this is a good way to start.

MichaelB

#31 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:18 am

To be honest, there was no particularly good reason for releasing it in November, as it's not an obvious Christmas title - and I doubt people will mind when they see the end result.

Yesterday's interviews were with cinematographer Nic Knowland and editor/sound designer Larry Sider, who were absolutely fascinating - and I hope we won't lose too much in the editing, though we inevitably shot far more than we have space to include.

I also talked to Knowland about the new HD transfer (which he supervised alongside the Quays), and he said he was delighted with it, at least after getting the telecine operator to turn down the contrast - it's a film that's not so much black and white as a symphony in greyscale.

Apparently it was a real struggle getting decent release prints in 1995, as initial tests with regular film stock proved deeply unsatisfactory. In the end, they had to import an East German brand of black and white film (Orwo, I think), as that was the only one that achieved the intended effect. Fortunately, it was such a tiny release that only a small handful of prints were ever required - and I'm not sure what they'd do now if they had to make new ones. I suspect the new HD master would be the best option for screenings today.

MichaelB

#32 Post by MichaelB » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:56 am

...and I can now confirm interviews with writer Alan Passes and the Quays themselves, filmed earlier today.

manicsounds

#33 Post by manicsounds » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:26 am

I used to have the Kino disc, and sold it off... but I can't remember the reason why. I remember watching the film, but can't remember much of the details. Maybe because of the out-of-print-ness.

Strange that I've sold off both this and Piano Tuner (for the reason of frozen playback on my player, and that I didn't like it that much), yet I adore the Quay shorts set.

I'm going to give Benjamenta another spin after this version comes out....

staplehead

#34 Post by staplehead » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:45 pm

I'm a fairly new member here, but I had to pop in and say how much I'm looking forward to this release. I've only seen Benjamenta on a 4:3 VHS copy but it still managed to propel me into a wonderful dreamy state of mind. Roll on 2010!

Suspect

#35 Post by Suspect » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:19 pm

staplehead wrote:I'm a fairly new member here, but I had to pop in and say how much I'm looking forward to this release. I've only seen Benjamenta on a 4:3 VHS copy but it still managed to propel me into a wonderful dreamy state of mind. Roll on 2010!
Agreed, I first saw the film on VHS, then was able to get a hold of the Kino disc (for about £50), which I've sold on now. I was fortunate to see the film on the big screen this year, the print came from the Quay bros. directly and it was pretty beaten and the reels stopped occasionally, but it was a great experience!

MichaelB

#36 Post by MichaelB » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:24 pm

The new digital print is being unveiled at BFI Southbank in mid-December - which is probably the definitive big-screen version now that the tiny handful of original 35mm distribution prints are falling apart.

The sad fact is (at least according to the Quays and cinematographer Nic Knowland, and I can't imagine who else would be better informed), it's probably impossible to create a new 35mm print using today's stocks and chemicals that looks the same as the original prints - see my post above for the main reasons.

Incidentally, we should be knocking off the final interviews for the documentary later this week - I'll confirm details (and identify the participants) when they're safely in the can, or rather on the HD camera's memory card.

MichaelB

#37 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:13 pm

OK, I can now reveal that the main reason for the delayed release date was that we were hoping to secure filmed interviews with Mark Rylance and Alice Krige, which meant waiting for them to be in Britain at the same time because the production budget barely stretched to their taxi fares within London.

Happily, it was worth the wait, as they were filmed earlier today, and were both on terrific form - in fact, all the interviews we shot for this project (the Quays, Alan Passes, Nic Knowland, Larry Sider) have been crammed with superb material. Now we've just got to work out how to cut it together…

As for the rest of the package, it's looking virtually certain that there'll be one previously unreleased Quay short nestling amongst the extras, though others are still being chased up. I'm not sure whether I can identify the confirmed short yet, but sadly it won't be The Sandman - I know this is one of the most-requested items in their back catalogue, but there are apparently horrendous performing rights issues to do with the dancers that just couldn't be got around.

antnield

#38 Post by antnield » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:52 pm

Moviemail now have this down for 22nd March 2010:

http://www.moviemail-online.co.uk/film/ ... enjamenta/

The above link also includes a trailer for the film...

MichaelB

#39 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:09 pm

I can now confirm that the new documentary runs approx. 30 minutes.

I can also confirm that the disc will definitely include previously unreleased Quay shorts (plural), but I've promised to wait for an official announcement before identifying them.

But the most exciting news is that the encoded Blu-ray looks truly gobsmackingly gorgeous. It's technically impossible to completely capture the silvery luminescent "feel" of a new 35mm print, but this comes closer than any other hi-def attempt I've seen to date.

Cash Flagg

#40 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:43 pm

Will this be a region-free release, Michael?

MichaelB

#41 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:45 pm

I don't know yet, I'm afraid - the second I do, I'll update the region list.

antnield

#42 Post by antnield » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:41 pm

MichaelB wrote:I can also confirm that the disc will definitely include previously unreleased Quay shorts (plural), but I've promised to wait for an official announcement before identifying them.
Luckily we have the BBFC website to confirm one of them: 'Euridyce - She, So Beloved' from 2007. Here's the synopsis from BFI's Film and TV Database...
Commissioned to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Monteverdi's 'Orfeo' considered to be the first opera ever produced. Re-telling of the myth of Orpheus, with reference to Rainer Maria Rilke's poem 'Orpheus. Eurydice. Hermes'.

MichaelB

#43 Post by MichaelB » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:11 pm

That is indeed one of them - but there are more...

antnield

#44 Post by antnield » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:04 am

Cover art up on MovieMail...

4LOM

#45 Post by 4LOM » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:25 pm

Details of the "Institute Benjamenta" set (taken from play.com):
Inspired by the writings of the Swiss novelist Robert Walser, Institute Benjamenta is the first live-action feature from the acclaimed surrealist animators, the Quay Brothers. Jakob (Mark Rylance) enrols into the Benjamenta Institute, a dilapidated boarding school for the training of servants. He then tries to unravel the hidden mysteries of the school, his fellow pupils, and Frau and Herr Benjamenta, the siblings who run it. A fascinating symphony of light and shade constructed on the prevailing Quay themes of death, decay, and nothingness.

* Dual Format Edition: Includes both the Blu-ray and the DVD of the film and extras
* Inside the Institute: an in-between world (BFI, 2010, c.30 mins): a brand new documentary about the making of the film, featuring actors Mark Rylance, Alice Krige, as well as the directors, writer, DoP and film editor.
* Original trailer
* Eurydice - She, So Beloved (Quay Brothers, 2007, 12 mins): Monteverdi's opera L'Orfeo
* The Comb (Quay Brothers, 1990, 17 mins): this short animation explores some of the themes of Institute Benjamenta
* On-set footage (15 mins, DVD only)
* Songs for Dead Children (Quay Brothers / Steve Martland, 2003, 23 mins): Steve Martland's Street Songs as seen by the visionary animators
* Fully illustrated booklet containing newly commissioned essays, biographies and stills by celebrated photographer Jill Furmanovsky

Tommaso

#46 Post by Tommaso » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Seems like a truly great package, with the extras looking at least as interesting as the film itself. And mind you, I think it's a great film.

MichaelB

#47 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:17 pm

The Comb + 1080p transfer = wow.

Or at least the first couple of minutes, anyway - I only had about 30-40 minutes to peruse the test pressing last week.

denti alligator

#48 Post by denti alligator » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:28 pm

May 17 will be a nice day.

MichaelB

#49 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:05 am

I can now confirm that the Blu-ray is definitely region-free.

Davidspector

#50 Post by Davidspector » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:40 am

Fantastic.

Thanks, Michael.