Flipside: new BFI DVD - Blu-ray strand

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

RossyG

Re: Flipside: new BFI DVD - Blu-ray strand

#26 Post by RossyG » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:17 pm

Please let this be an indication that Psychomania will one day be released as a Flipside BD. [-o<

colinr0380

#27 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:16 am

It is the only film where people get menaced by visions of psychic frogs, if I'm remembering it correctly.

And it has also inspired my final wish to be buried whilst astride a motorbike. It might take a lot of effort but Those Who Love Me Will Dig The Grave, to mangle that quote by François Reichenbach. (They'll also have to bring a motorbike to prop me up on too, since I do not ride one!)

Wes Moynihan

#28 Post by Wes Moynihan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:57 am

I'd love to see BFI/Flipside do something with the experimental films of Antony Balch/William Burroughs/Brion Gysin - the current Cherry Red DVD doesn't do these films justice, and they badly need a new annotated edition to place these important films in their full historical context. Parts of Towers Open Fire were actually shot at BFI HQ...

MichaelB

#29 Post by MichaelB » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:41 am

Wes Moynihan wrote:I'd love to see BFI/Flipside do something with the experimental films of Antony Balch/William Burroughs/Brion Gysin - the current Cherry Red DVD doesn't do these films justice, and they badly need a new annotated edition to place these important films in their full historical context. Parts of Towers Open Fire were actually shot at BFI HQ...
Odeon's Secrets of Sex DVD includes Towers Open Fire and The Cut-Ups amongst its copious extras.

zedz

#30 Post by zedz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:58 pm

If you're having trouble finding it, my copy of the DVD was released as Bizarre.

colinr0380

#31 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:28 pm

It is also available in Region 1 under the "Bizarre" title.

Wes Moynihan

#32 Post by Wes Moynihan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:16 am

MichaelB wrote:Odeon's Secrets of Sex DVD includes Towers Open Fire and The Cut-Ups amongst its copious extras.
zedz wrote:If you're having trouble finding it, my copy of the DVD was released as Bizarre.
colinr0380 wrote:It is also available in Region 1 under the "Bizarre" title.
Many thanks guys... I've seen the Synapse and Odeon discs, and I have Cherry Red DVD but I would like to see the films get the definitive treatment - the Cherry Red edition is probably the best at the moment but still falls well short of what the BFI did with say the Jeff Keen collection. Raro have their own Burroughs/Balch anthology (which includes a Stan Brakhage film) but I hear the transfers are pretty weak.

antnield

#33 Post by antnield » Mon May 07, 2012 7:07 am

Throughout May the Digital Fix will be taking a behind-the-scenes look at the BFI's Flipside strand, specifically how the release of Nightbirds came together. A series of weekly articles will trace its progress from conception to production, taking in everything from obtaining the film materials to putting together the booklet. First up, an introduction to the range, its history and its ethos...

Anatomy of a Flipside, Part One: What is the Flipside?

antnield

#34 Post by antnield » Mon May 14, 2012 7:12 am

Anatomy of a Flipside: Part Two, or how Nicolas Winding Refn brought Andy Milligan to the Flipside.

MichaelB

#35 Post by MichaelB » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:16 am

The BFI's Head of DVD Publishing, Sam Dunn, welcomes the return of the Flipside.

Graham

#36 Post by Graham » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:47 pm

On the off chance Mr Dunn is reading this, PLEASE release Gerry O'Hara's The Brute as part of the Flipside strand. Thanks (!).

Ozu Teapot

#37 Post by Ozu Teapot » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:10 am

I have no idea about rights issues around this film but I think The Leather Boys (1964) would make a great Flipside title. It's got all those British kitchen sink drama, issues of sexuality and biker subculture things going on in it.

It was released on DVD a few years ago but I read (on Amazon reviews) that it's a pretty poor transfer. It'd be great to have a sparkly BFI Blu of this!