Separation / The Other Side of the Underneath / Anti-Clock

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

knives

Re: Separation / The Other Side of the Underneath / Anti-Clo

#51 Post by knives » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:40 am

That's sad. I'm grateful to the BFI than for giving her work the opportunity to create a legacy considering all this jazz. Really terrible, will have to think about that.

antnield

#52 Post by antnield » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:46 am

Dual-format editions coming August 13th according to Amazon.

antnield

#53 Post by antnield » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:36 am

And fresh artwork for Separation... (the other two remain as were)

neilist

#54 Post by neilist » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:54 am

I much prefer the previous artwork. The new artwork looks like she's got some sort of skin disease or that she's wearing zombie make-up, rather than that she's just got a light show projected on her.

Mr. Deltoid

#55 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Finally got around to watching The Other Side of the Underneath, after putting it off for a while because of it's fearsome reputation. It's my first Arden. Talk about being thrown in the deep-end (with weights tied around my ankles!)

Criticism feels useless in a case like this. This is a film that seemingly wants you to dislike it, to spit in your face. Traditional cinematic niceties such as plot or character identification are in absentia, which is fine because this is clearly an 'experimental' feature. It's a film directed and performed by radical late 60's/early 70's feminists and if that sound a bit 'heavy', well, you'd be right on the money! I thought it a humourless (if - in parts - unintentially hilarious), incoherent mess; it's sub-Amateur Dramatics and grating symbolism just plain embarassing (a view also shared by the interviewees in the 'extras'). Arden is certainly an interesting woman (and the film's 'behind the scenes' stories concerning its troubled making would make a much more interesting feature) but there seems to be a coldly manipulative, exploitative element to this film (the recruiting of alcoholic vagrants and mentally disabled children - not to mention some of the young female cast themselves) that suggests a grasping for artistic 'authenticity'. This is ultimately therapy on film, with all the indulgences that come with it.

For me, at least, the most interesting element of the film was it's location photography around the South Wales valleys (with a trip to Newport for the overhead shot of the transporter-bridge) and (I'm guessing) the old Ebbw Vale Steelworks.

Nevertheless, I'm glad I finally got around to watch it and special kudos to the BFI and their tenacious efforts at uncovering the 'secret history' of British Cinema. :D

antnield

#56 Post by antnield » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:04 am

antnield

#57 Post by antnield » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:05 am

New trailer for the Arden/Bond films to coincide with the dual-format re-releases.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#58 Post by dekadetia » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:56 pm

Can anyone confirm whether the blu rays in these dual-format reissues are region free? I know the original blu-only editions were region free, but some sources seem to indicate these new editions might be B-locked.

MichaelB

#59 Post by MichaelB » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:40 am

I'd be very surprised indeed (I can't imagine why these would be region-locked), but I'll check.

UPDATE: I've checked, and they're exactly the same discs as before - and those were definitely region-free. Literally all they've done is take the old separate Blu-ray and DVD discs and stuck them in new combined packaging.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#60 Post by dekadetia » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:29 am

Fantastic; thanks, Michael.