Bill Douglas Trilogy

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

tojoed

Re: Bill Douglas Trilogy

#51 Post by tojoed » Tue May 19, 2009 4:31 pm

According to Moviemail the BluRay of the Trilogy is now being released on 27 July 2009 along with Comrades..

MichaelB

#52 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 29, 2009 5:27 pm

My understanding is that it's essentially a clone of the DVD in terms of specs, though obviously in 1080p, and the HD master has undergone further digital restoration since the DVD was released.

MichaelB

#53 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:25 am

No great surprise, since the BFI produced the films in the first place, but I'm delighted to confirm that the Blu-ray will be region-free.

MichaelB

#54 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:46 am

Full Blu-ray specs announced:
Bill Douglas Trilogy
My Childhood
My Ain Folk
My Way Home

Three of the most compelling films about childhood and adolescence ever made – now presented by the BFI in a High-Definition restoration on Blu-ray

Bill Douglas's award-winning films – My Childhood, My Ain Folk and My Way Home – are three of the most compelling and critically acclaimed films about childhood ever made. Released by the BFI on DVD for the first time in June 2008 in a two-disc set with special features, they come to Blu-ray on 27 July, alongside the Blu-ray and DVD release of Bill Douglas’s Comrades (1987).

The narrative is largely autobiographical, following Jamie (played with heart-breaking conviction by Stephen Archibald) as he grows up in a poverty-stricken mining village in post-war Scotland. In these brutal surroundings, and subject to hardship and rejection, Jamie learns to fend for himself. We see him grow from child to adolescent – angry and bewildered, but playful, creative and affectionate.

In My Childhood (1972), eight-year old Jamie lives with his granny and elder brother in a Scots mining village in 1945. With his mother in a mental home, and his father absent, he is subject to the hardships of poverty. In My Ain Folk (1973), Jamie is sent to live with his paternal grandmother and uncle; a life full of silence and rejection. My Way Home (1978) sees Jamie’s ultimate victory over his circumstances; after a spell in foster care, and a homeless shelter, he is conscripted into the RAF, where he embarks on a redemptive friendship with Robert, which allows him to emerge from his ineffectual adolescence to pursue his artistic ambition.

Watching the Trilogy is far from a depressing experience. This is cinematic poetry: Douglas contracted his subject matter to the barest essentials – dialogue is kept to a minimum, and fields, slag heaps and cobbled streets are shot in bleak monochrome. Yet with its unexpected humour and warmth, the Trilogy brims with clear-eyed humanity, and affection for an ultimately triumphant young boy.

Special features
Bill Douglas: Intent on Getting the Image (2006, 63 mins), a new documentary about Bill Douglas’s work
Come Dancing (1970, 15 mins), Bill Douglas’s remarkable student short
• Archive interview with Bill Douglas (4 mins)
• Illustrated booklet containing newly commissioned essays, notes and credits

Release date: 27 July 2009
RRP £24.99 / cat. no. BFIB1013 / cert 15
UK / 1972 - 1978 / black and white / 175 mins / BD50 + DVD-9 / original aspect ratio 1.33:1
This release comprises a Region 0 Blu-ray disc and a PAL Region 0 DVD

tubal

#55 Post by tubal » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:20 am

denti alligator

#56 Post by denti alligator » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:07 am

The difference is pretty dramatic on the second two film (hardly at all for the first), which makes even more upset that I have the SD and that the Blu-ray is going for only a pound more than I paid for the SD.

tubal

#57 Post by tubal » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:27 am

denti alligator wrote:
The difference is pretty dramatic on the second two film (hardly at all for the first), which makes even more upset that I have the SD and that the Blu-ray is going for only a pound more than I paid for the SD.
That makes sense since My Childhood was shot with 16mm film whereas My Ain Folk and My Way Home were shot with 35mm film. Still debating whether to upgrade or not.

MichaelB

#58 Post by MichaelB » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:59 am

MichaelB

#59 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:34 am

Just a quick note to say that although the content of the second disc (i.e. the DVD) in the Blu-ray set appears to be absolutely identical to its counterpart in the DVD edition, there's one tiny difference - which is that when it was reprinted, the region coding was removed.

You still need to be able to handle the PAL video format, but presumably this means it'll play in any PC even if some NTSC DVD players baulk at it.

Yojimbo

#60 Post by Yojimbo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:21 am

Has anybody seen the DVD of 'Comrades': I finally watched my DVD of the trilogy on Friday, followed by the extras, last night; the first time I've watched it since it screened on British tv sometime in the early 90s.

My favourite of the trilogy is still 'My Childhood': I think its the most harshly poetic, the purest, cinematically, and least artistically self-conscious of the three.
I noticed, particularly in 'My Ain Folk', and to a lesser extent in 'My Way Home', of his inclusion of too many artistically beautiful shots whose inclusion I suspected were for similar flawed reasons as Murnau's 'Sunrise' and Laughton's 'Night of the Hunter' most artfully pleasing shots, and from the snippets of what I saw of 'Comrades', particularly given that film's length, I suspect too much self-indulgence for visually appealing reasons.

Probably worth a purchase, but I'll probably wait for the price to drop, unless somebody can tell me that my fears are unfounded.

zedz

#61 Post by zedz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:54 am

I'd urge anybody to see Comrades as soon as possible, but I'm afraid it is indeed an incredibly gorgeous film! It's rather ruthlessly unsentimental in terms of content, but I'd have said the same for the latter two films of the trilogy. As for "artistically self-conscious," Comrades takes that idea to heights undreamt of in the trilogy, but it's anything but gratuitous - it's integral to the film's ideas. Really, it's an whole 'nother kettle of fish - and I suspect you won't know if you like it until you've tried it.

perkizitore

#62 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:17 am

Yojimbo wrote:Has anybody seen the DVD of 'Comrades': I finally watched my DVD of the trilogy on Friday, followed by the extras, last night; the first time I've watched it since it screened on British tv sometime in the early 90s.

My favourite of the trilogy is still 'My Childhood': I think its the most harshly poetic, the purest, cinematically, and least artistically self-conscious of the three.
Comrades is part of NO trilogy.
Last edited by perkizitore on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#63 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:33 am

perkizitore wrote:Comrades is part of NO trilogy.
No-one ever claimed that it was.

Yojimbo

#64 Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:54 am

zedz wrote:I'd urge anybody to see Comrades as soon as possible, but I'm afraid it is indeed an incredibly gorgeous film! It's rather ruthlessly unsentimental in terms of content, but I'd have said the same for the latter two films of the trilogy. As for "artistically self-conscious," Comrades takes that idea to heights undreamt of in the trilogy, but it's anything but gratuitous - it's integral to the film's ideas. Really, it's an whole 'nother kettle of fish - and I suspect you won't know if you like it until you've tried it.
I'll monitor the various outlets for it, zedz: one way or the other I wouldn't want the only source for it when I go to buy it is an inflated Ebay or Amazon Marketplace price

MichaelB

#65 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:37 am

It's still very much in print, so no-one should pay inflated prices.

perkizitore

#66 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:41 am

Yes, but it was 12£ for ages before reaching 18£ now.

Yojimbo

#67 Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:44 am

perkizitore wrote:Yes, but it was 12£ for ages before reaching 18£ now.
Thanks for that, perks
You've just made my day! ](*,)

perkizitore

#68 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 pm

I didn't buy it either, Yozimbo! :-$

Yojimbo

#69 Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:31 pm

perkizitore wrote:I didn't buy it either, Yozimbo! :-$
were you wary of it for similar reasons as me?

knives

#70 Post by knives » Sun May 08, 2011 11:08 pm

I wish I can gather once I see the next two parts the enthusiasm others have shown for these films, but rather unsurprisingly the first section didn't hit me terribly hard. There is one moment about halfway through though that made me realize why the movie is great even if I haven't been able to feel it. The little boy is walking on a bridge just as a train passes and gets covered in smoke dancing for a bit. That single image is horrendously expressive and strong. Even if I don't manage to connect with the rest of the films all too well that shot is worth whatever it was that I purchased this set for. I'd like to selfishly think that the title is not meant to reference Douglas alone and allow for is to be anybody's childhood in which case that image is mine.
Thinking back there are a few more parts to the film that I might carry with me, but oddly enough they all have the main child obscured. Little things like the second child behind the rag or the look on the old woman's face as she looks down at the bed stands out to me very strongly. I can't remember how these images connect together and in fact I'm not certain I ever had that knowledge, but there is strength in the many of the moments which I respect and even love for the one I described at top. Maybe it is appropriate that the film came to me as a fragment since the memory of childhood exists much the same way. In that sense I absolutely adore Gringo's Vigo comparison considering he likewise takes a hold the fictions of memory.
To that extent I don't see this first portion as particularly grim. In fact it may be a little hopeful. In what way I can't tell you, hell I've established I can't tell you the story, but so many of the images don't tell me this is the end, but instead a moment to breath. It's appreciating those rare instances where the grimness can be forgotten. I hope that makes sense.

By the way does the Comrades disc come with the three shorts not present here or are they totally MIA?

reno dakota

#71 Post by reno dakota » Sun May 08, 2011 11:54 pm

knives wrote:By the way does the Comrades disc come with the three shorts not present here or are they totally MIA?
Full specs for the Comrades disc are here.

As for the Trilogy, I would keep going if I were you. I think you'll be surprised by the cumulative impact of the films once you've finished.

knives

#72 Post by knives » Mon May 09, 2011 12:13 am

So the three shorts are MIA, at least we get Home and Away. I did just finish My Ain Folk actually and I think it proves my theory that the narrative for the first is intentionally fractured nonsense since the story telling is much more typical with everything concrete, The emotions don't feel like they're writing the narrative anymore and I thank heaven for that since if the love image of the boy frozen by the fireplace after that fight is any indication such a film would be absolutely unbearable. It seems that there are no joys in growing up here and that if anything the hope in the first film is a cruel joke as it withers out into an abyss with the second. This whole set of films is a far better closing than kitchen sink ever deserved and is the best face to that part of English history I've encountered.

MichaelB

#73 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:45 pm

The Scotsman eulogises Bill Douglas on the eve of a celebration to mark the 20th anniversary of his too-early death.

Calvin

#74 Post by Calvin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:31 pm

I might try and make the screenings for the "Bill Douglas Weekend" but the website for the Craigmillar Arts Centre doesn't have much information.

Any news on a Dual Format release? I'm still rather annoyed that Amazon cancelled my £5.99 order two weeks after I placed it by which time everywhere else was out of stock as well. :(

MichaelB

#75 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:41 pm

As far as I'm aware, it's definitely getting a dual-format reissue, but I don't think the release date has been announced yet.