Theorem

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

antnield

Re: Theorem

#26 Post by antnield » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 am

hearthesilence

#27 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:50 am

Excellent news! Finally saw Pasolini's work for the very first time at MoMA during their amazing retrospective, and it was probably my favorite of all of Pasolini's films. (I should note the one film I really wanted to see but missed was Hawks and Sparrows.)
SpoilerShow
Before the film, they showed a video interview with him where he talks about the film's premise.

"It's about God visiting these five individuals. The father gives away his factory then wanders the desert naked, the daughter becomes catatonic, the mother becomes a nymphomaniac..."

And then he says "the son, he becomes a painter..."

And after a long pause, he adds "...like Bacon."

And as soon as he grins, the whole audience started laughing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#28 Post by swo17 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:18 am

Of course, I just bought the DVD last week, so you're welcome, everyone.

TMDaines

#29 Post by TMDaines » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:49 am

Wonderful news, and thanks swo.

RossyG

#30 Post by RossyG » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:44 pm

Yes, cheers, swo. Much appreciated.

If it's any consolation I took one for the team by buying Axiom's Paris Texas DVD a fortnight before the BD was announced.

MichaelB

#31 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 am

Confirmed as Region B.

ellipsis7

#32 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:26 pm

knives

#33 Post by knives » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:13 pm

That's a massive downgrade.

zedz

#34 Post by zedz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:18 pm

I had that first impression too, but looking again at the original cover, it was pretty bland. It's a shame for such a visually striking film. Still, if a nude Silvana Magnano can sell a few extra copies, I say go for it!

My favourite image is Laura Betti's eyes peeping out from the dirt, but that's not exactly representative. The new cover, at least, gives you a vague idea of what you're in for (Stamp + Sex).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#35 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:26 pm

The old cover could be more colorful but it's a striking image that visually relays Stamp's role as a "sex angel." This new one just looks like a lazy rendering of the old Koch Lorber cover (maybe originally from a poster?). And yes, this film is all about sex in a way, but not the way this cover implies. (The film has maybe 0.01% the nudity of Trilogy of Life, but you wouldn't know it from the BFI's covers.)

zedz

#36 Post by zedz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:54 pm

I bet there were some great Polish posters for this film back in the day.

Does image search. Comes up blank.

But it does seem that the BFI cover is near as dammit the original poster:

There's a rather wild Japanese poster, but it's very Japanese:

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#37 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:02 pm

I also wish they would market the film under its Italian title. The English translation makes it sound like the most boring movie ever made, not to mention too similar to the screenplay I'm working on for a film about a guy who teaches every member of a family the wonders of math and then suddenly abandons them, leaving them all to wonder whether math will ever be fun again without him. (Spoiler alert: It will be!)

knives

#38 Post by knives » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:05 pm

I love the english title, but in general I prefer translations.

TMDaines

#39 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:36 pm

swo17 wrote:I also wish they would market the film under its Italian title. The English translation makes it sound like the most boring movie ever made, not to mention too similar to the screenplay I'm working on for a film about a guy who teaches every member of a family the wonders of math and then suddenly abandons them, leaving them all to wonder whether math will ever be fun again without him. (Spoiler alert: It will be!)
I'm just wondering what percentage of those who'd be interested in the film couldn't tell what Teorema meant? Why translate it at all?

MichaelB

#40 Post by MichaelB » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:05 am

Full specs announced:
Theorem
A film by Pier Paolo Pasolini
Terence Stamp, Massimo Girotti, Silvana Mangano, Laura Betti

Following its theatrical release this month, the BFI will bring Pier Paolo Pasolini’s Theorem (1968) to Blu-ray for the first time in the UK when it is released complete and uncut in a Dual Format Edition (includes a DVD disc) on 27 May 2013. The new high definition digital transfer has restored picture and sound. Special features include a filmed interview with Terence Stamp, a feature commentary and an optional English language soundtrack.

A handsome, enigmatic stranger (Terence Stamp) arrives at a bourgeois household in Milan and successively seduces each family member, not forgetting the maid. Then, as abruptly and mysteriously as he arrived, he departs, leaving the distraught members of the household to make what sense they can of their lives in the void of his absence.

In this cool, richly complex and provocative political allegory, Pasolini uses his schematic plot to explore family dynamics, the intersection of class and sex, and the nature of different sexualities. After winning a prize at the Venice Film Festival, Theorem was subsequently banned on an obscenity charge, but Pasolini later won an acquittal on the grounds of the film’s ‘high artistic value’.

Theorem is visually ravishing, with superb performances from its international cast and a brilliantly eclectic soundtrack featuring music by composers ranging from Mozart to Morricone.

Special Features
• Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition;
• Optional alternative English language soundtrack;
• Audio commentary by Italian film expert Robert Gordon;
An Interview with Terence Stamp (2007, 34 mins, DVD only);
• 2013 theatrical release trailer;
• Illustrated booklet with an essay by Geoffrey Nowell-Smith, a review by Philip Strick and biographies of Pasolini and Stamp.

Product Details
RRP: £19.99 / cat. no. BFIB1166 / Cert 15
Italy / 1968 / colour, and tinted black and white / Italian language, with optional English subtitles / 98 mins / Original aspect ratio 1.85:1
Disc 1: BD50 / 1080p / 24fps / PCM mono audio (48k/24-bit)
Disc 2: DVD9 / PAL / Dolby Digital audio (320kbps)
And there's also a new trailer.

Stefan Andersson

#41 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:17 am

Excellent news about the optional English soundtrack for Theorem! No need to buy the Italian DVD.

MichaelB

#42 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Beaver:
The new 1080P is a significant improvement over the DVD - even the strong BFI one from 2007. Colors are rich, bordering on saturation, and textured grain is far more apparent. This Blu-ray is dual-layered and the bitrate more than 4X that of the best SD transfer. The sepia-style shots in the opening are much more film-like (notice the title sequences above). Overall this is a beauty - with only a few minor speckles from total perfection.

MichaelB

#43 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 20, 2013 2:42 am

Mondo Digital:
A terrific HD upgrade following a theatrical UK reissue of the film. It looks fantastic, not surprisingly, and ranks with the other superb Pasolini Blu-Rays out there on the market. Colors look terrific, while the detail vaults way past the prior DVD editions. The Italian and English audio tracks are included together with optional subtitles for the first time on the same release, which would make this a keeper all by itself.

manicsounds

#44 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:13 am